The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My horse's hip keeps slipping while riding him

My horse's hip always slips to the outside when flatting. My trainer tells me to put my outside leg back but when I put it back and try to get his hip from slipping he ignores my leg. What should I do for him to get more sensitive to this particular leg aid?

Do you use a crop? Try spurs, Tom Thumb to start off with, just to get your horse used to them. Try practicing sidepassing and the walk, trot, and canter until he listens to your leg more. Then ask him to do what you want(:

1 members found this post helpful.

Halt, move his hauches over a step.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm going a different direction here. Have you had his stifles checked? Could be a sign if they are weak if you mean he is truly slipping out where you feel him come out from under you a bit or do you mean he is sticking his haunches to the outside?. Also if he is really slipping my guy did this and ended up being epm. If he is slipping like his hind end is giving then I'd have a vet out.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

3 members found this post helpful.

When I read the title, the first thing that popped into my head was that perhaps he has loose stifles. I'd get a vet out to just rule out that possibility before trying to handle the issue via new training methods. If it is the stifles, lots of walking up and down hills can work wonders!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

I'm assuming that what you call slipping, is what anther might call swinging their haunches out, so that when you turn in a circle, the haunches are following a separate track. He is not bending. He is turning like a plank.

The first thing is to be sure your outside leg is carried back far enough to support his haunches. Then halting a making him to a turn on the forehand away from your outside leg is another correction. The third would be carrying a dressage whip in your outside hand and reinforcing your leg request.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

My horse wants to pop his right hip to the inside when tracking to the right and has more problems yielding his right haunch generally. He's just weaker that way. I have to really focus on keeping him straight and moving equally off of both legs right from the start, and I typically do some light lateral work at the walk before trotting, which helps somewhat.

He does get worse when he is in need of a chiropractic adjustment, so you may want to check that out. I can just tell when my horse needs an adjustment because he goes from "meh, I'd rather not, that's difficult...well, okay, FINE" to "yeah, that's just NOT happening" pretty quickly.