The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default need help finding a saddle

Hello posting in here due to my unique situation but also posting in dressage. I am a thirty year old dressage rider and have competed through Prix st Georges previously. However three years ago I suffered a stroke that led to residual left leg weakness. I ride a 17 hand big moving tbx stallion. Before you judge I bred this premium horse and have ridden him all his life and he is a fairly easy ride. However my problem lies in finding a suitable saddle. I have decreased awareness of exactly where my left leg is on the horse allowing it to drift forward. He is a warmblood built horse with tb withers so a tough fit. I have been looking and trying saddles for three years almost with frustration. This is going to be an upper level horse and he is young but I am not opposed to a custom. I had an old county competitor I used on his mother and loved. Fit him first few years but comes nowhere close to fitting now thus the recent sale. I miss it every day, loved that saddle. We tried restuffing adjusting every way we could. He needs an x wide and that one just wasn't cutting it. I have tried new counties in different styles and they all seem to tip me forward. Tried schleese and it fit my horse great but I was miserable. The seat could not be less comfortable sat like a 2 x 4 under you. I hurt when I got off. I am currently trying a Toulouse seems to fit both horse and I quite acceptably for a non custom but have heard nightmare stories of their service and workmanship sucks. If I wanted a cheap saddle I would buy a wintec. Heck those things at least are easy to clean and hold up okay. I am curious of the black country monoflap as it would allow more contact with the horse. There is one near here as well as dealer so makes me curious. Any comments/suggestions ? I do NOT want massive external knee/thigh blocks. Small is OK but nothing huge and fixed.

Are you happy in the Toulouse? You mentioned it fits both you and horse great. Is your leg staying underneath you well in it?

I think if something is working for you, and you've worked so hard for years to find something, why rock the boat?

I am totally unhappy with the Toulouse. I didn't even bother to ride in it. All the statements about it being cheaply made are completely true. I went to tighten my girth and it scratched the billets. If it scratches on a well made roller buckle girth it will never survive a year in my barn. Expensive piece of junk.

why not try a wintec?
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    why not try a wintec?
    I specifically want a non cheaply made saddle plus in general I don't like how the wintecs sit. I don't get on multiple horses a day that I don't know their fits. I have an upper level horse and want something that is going to last the majority of my horse's career as my county did his mother and I purchased the jump saddle I'm currently riding in when I owned her used, competed her in it, and now him. The saddle is probably close to 25 yes old and I was offered $800 in trade on it and also my ancient county sold for more than I paid for it. Plus I feel like I can't get my leg under me right and it has a chairish seat in a wintec. Its worth the money to get something that will last in great shape and able to be adjusted.

Thornhill makes a therapeutic-specific saddle called the J.C. Hobby. I was just looking at it this am as I have a new para rider.

Where are you located? I can't say enough about Colleen Meyer of Advanced Saddle Fit. She represents a few different saddlers in England and is a genius at figuring out which model will best suit both rider and horse. These are all bench-made saddles and as such are significantly less expensive than custom while still being highly configurable.

I sent you a private message.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875