The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Question about getting a horse to be sharper w/ his hind end o/f

So my horse is bit green still, and we've been consistently jumping 2'3-2'6. The problem is that he can sometimes be a bit careless with his hind end, even over little things. He is tighty for the most part w/ his front end, but tends to, what seems like, put zero effort into picking up his hind legs sometimes. He tends to do this more so when trying to lengthen through a line, it's as if he forgets the jump is even there and just runs on through. Any tips to work on this? We have started rolling the ground lines out, but i'm worried he will just start relying on the ground lines to get him in the right spot.

I've heard lots of people have had good success with Doda boots.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

i usually give mine a whack on the butt with a crop on takeoff when they start getting lazy behind

Sometimes putting them over a wide, square oxer tightens them up behind, if that hasn't been tried already.

There are a few suggestions above.

Does his use his back on the flat correctly? Maybe strengthening with some hill work. Although I've always be told you can fix a front end, you can't always fix a hind end.

Dressaaaaaaage better known as flat work. Trotting cavaletti, high enough to get some hock action.

Cross rail at the top of the standards. Steering rails but no ground lines. Trot forward and shorten to the base. Be sure you don't slap your upper body at him off the ground.

Gymnastics will teach him where his feet are. You can also help him become quicker in his hind end with bounces and one-stride exercises.

Btw have you checked to make sure it isn't something physical such as back, hocks, or stifles? It might be worth it to have your vet take a look and rule that out before pushing him harder

Quote Originally Posted by teddygirl View Post
    Gymnastics will teach him where his feet are. You can also help him become quicker in his hind end with bounces and one-stride exercises.

Btw have you checked to make sure it isn't something physical such as back, hocks, or stifles? It might be worth it to have your vet take a look and rule that out before pushing him harder
    We have been doing all that you have said, our next step is to try putting hind shoes on him since he currently only has fronts. We're thinking that might give him a little more support. I'm also thinking of having the chiropractor/acupuncturist come out and take a look at hime

Some thoughts...

If you can get someone with experience in gait evaluation to assist, they may be able to help diagnose the dynamics of this horses particular hind end weakness, and that may provide some insight as to how to improve the horses way of going..

From the sound of it, my first concern would be to rule out a neurological issue, just because I feel it's worth mentioning if it hasn't been previously considered.

Otherwise I'm with the others who say Dressage, building hind end strength through hill work, etc, and training to achieve obedient response to the aids to create engagement and impulsion.

Leg yield, shoulder-in, collecting half-halts, are all exercises that require a horse to obediently place his hunches specific to his riders requests.

A sound capable horse with a lazy hind end, could be an under trained horse, or a horse who is evading his riders aids, with a weight of possibility that the riders methodology of using aids lacks an effective understanding of how to put a horse fully on those aids so as to gain more influance over the haunches.

Sounds like your horse is getting flat and strung out since you say it happens more when you try to lengthen in a line. Work on keeping the horse connected and on the aids. Heavy poles will help her learn if she does hit them.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    Sounds like your horse is getting flat and strung out since you say it happens more when you try to lengthen in a line. Work on keeping the horse connected and on the aids. Heavy poles will help her learn if she does hit them.
    Yes, that would be it most the time, he gets himself flustered and thinks speed is more important than precision. Bad history before i got him, coming from a jumper barn that were big on beating the clock. I'm hoping with continuing the pole work and putting hind shoes back on we can see a bit of a difference....ugh it's so frustrating, it's been one step forward, two steps back w/ this gelding

Jumping at angles and I mean almost parallel to the jump. Worked with my jumper!

Swedish oxers