The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barns Near Haverford, PA

Hello!

I have just found out I will be working for 6 weeks during the summer in Haverford, PA. I am interested in finding a place to take lessons while I am there. I know Callan Solem and Louise Serio are in that area. However, I will only be there 6 weeks in the summer and they are on the road most of that time. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

What kind of time for riding are you going to have? How far are you willing to travel and what are you looking for in a trainer? There are trainers of all shapes and sizes near Haverford so it is hard to recommend a place without knowing what you aer looking for. Will you be living in Haverford as well?

1 members found this post helpful.

I will be working M-F 8-5. So Someone willing to teach Ammy's in the evening would be great. Prior to graduate schooling I was still regularly competing at 'A' shows, did the juniors and eq as a kid then switched to adults due to lack of ride time during college. I would just like to have a lesson 1-2 times a week with someone who has decent lesson horses. I am still regularly riding at grad school and make the occasional trip to Florida.

I would like to keep drive time under 45 min if possible.

Haverford is on the Main Line and not in a horsey area itself, but in 45 minutes or less you can get to those areas. Check out John Muldoon (Reinbow's End) in Malvern, they definitely have a lesson program there. I'm not sure if Troy Hendricks (Kimber View) does lessons on his own horses or not, but he's pretty popular as an A show trainer in the area. If you just want to get in the saddle, you may even want to try a couple of the West Chester lesson-type barns, like Dawn Taylor Bell at Out of Reach Farm.
    Callan Sollem I'm pretty sure only takes people on their own horses. Louise is down in Kennett Square, and I used to see ads for Derbydown's summer camp and what not, but I don't see any mention of a lesson program on her website. Plus, as you said, the bigger names are bound to be on the road showing.
    Last edited by I'dRatherBRiding; Mar. 24, 2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: farm name correction!

2 members found this post helpful.

Consider Desfor Farms in Chester Springs or Denise O'Connor at Banbury Cross (at Journey's End in Glenmoore).
    Both are straight shots up Route 401 west, which is easily accessible from Route 30. Desfor is closer as the crow flies, but you have to do a couple of turns to get there. Journey's End is within shouting distance of Route 401, but about 10 minutes further west.
    Both have indoors, both have very good reputations.
    Out of Reach and Muldoon's can get a little zooey with the kids/summer camps/ lotta lesson horses/ponies. For someone with limited time and has shown at the A level, you might want to try something a little more adult oriented.

2 members found this post helpful.

I initially thought of Carolyn Desfor as well, but didn't know the depth of her lesson horses. I thought it was mostly boarders with their own horses? Have heard good things about Denise as well- lesson program wise. Got my farm names confused though...John is Reinbow's End!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for the suggestions!! I will take a look and contact a few places!

Didn t Desfor Farm recently re locate to Wyndsor Farms in Elverson?

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Didn t Desfor Farm recently re locate to Wyndsor Farms in Elverson?

I drive past Desfor Farm in Chester Springs and it is now for sale. Her website says in Elverson on one page and Chester Springs with Wellington in winter on another page. I had noticed the Elverson mention on the page and was pretty confused but if she has moved her base to Wyndsor that would explain it.

Somebody just told me Denise O'Connor moved barns to Lubrano's.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Thanks checked Webbsite saw no mention of Wellington or Wellingotn shows on schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Thanks checked Webbsite saw no mention of Wellington or Wellingotn shows on schedule?
    On the Carole Desfor page:
    During the summer months Carolyn trains out of Chester Springs, PA and during the winter months she trains out of Wellington, FL.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I heard Desfor is closing....
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

The bank recently foreclosed on the Desfor property in Chester Springs.

Desfor is now based out of Wyndsor Farm in Elverson.

Last show date 2/9/2014 Wyndsor Farm show no Fl dates

Banbury Cross has recendly relocated to a top notch facility around the corner at the Lubrano's- Horizon Hill Farm. Denise has limited school horses but should have something nice that you could jump around on. She is more of an eq rider focus, if that is what you are looking for.

Ditto the recommendation for John Muldoon and Dawn Taylor Bell. John can be a little bit of a tough cookie but knows his stuff and turns out winning riders. Not sure of the extent of his advanced level school horses. Can't say anything bad about Dawn but likely a lot of lessoners.

If you are looking for more of an A level trainer out of the 3, I would go with John. If you want to focus more on your eq or get more focused individual instruction, I would look into Denise or Dawn.