The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just got wonderful news - my old show mare was passed by the vet as breeding sound!

Long story short, I recently got back my old show horse from high school. She's a 22 year old maiden American Hanoverian mare so I didn't hold out much hope that the vet would pass her for breeding. He tested her uterus and did a culture on her and said he sees no reason why she would not be able to carry a foal.

He also said that we would need to AI her in just over 2 weeks Like I said I hadn't held out much hope on getting her pregnant so now I need to find a stallion and get the semen shipped pronto. We run an APHA and AQHA breeding facility, but I do not know Hanoverian bloodlines and would love some input!

My mare has a lovely square, perfect hunter jump and is a great mover except that she gets a little heavy on the forehand in the canter. Conformationally she has a great body, but her head and neck need work. I'd love to find a stallion that would balance her out conformationally a little. She's 17.1 and I'm 5'8 so I don't want anything huge, but if the foal topped out around the same height I'd be thrilled.

Here's some pictures of her 10 years ago in her (and my) hay day:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

ETA: Here's her pedigree http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/wrisque
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

No suggestions, but small world - I know your mare!!!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I understand your enthusiasm, however, (JMHO) I would not breed a 22yr old maiden mare. I just wouldn't. If for some reason I had to, she would be bred, and living at a top notch repro facility from confirmation of pregnancy through foaling and beyond...which would be very expensive.

There are posters here that are much better qualified to advise you than I am. Hopefully one will speak up..

4 members found this post helpful.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I understand your enthusiasm, however, (JMHO) I would not breed a 22yr old maiden mare. I just wouldn't. If for some reason I had to, she would be bred, and living at a top notch repro facility from confirmation of pregnancy through foaling and beyond...which would be very expensive.

There are posters here that are much better qualified to advise you than I am. Hopefully one will speak up..
    I wouldn't be put off by this one comment. If the mare is healthy, and fit, then give it a try. But remember that just because the vet says she is repro sound does not mean that mother nature will get her pregnant. So, given her age, follow the old adage, old mare uterus, young stallion semen. Do not breed to an older stallion with marginal semen. And if she does get pregnant, then just keep her fit and healthy throughout her pregnancy. These mares are just like everyone else--some young women cannot get pregnant for trying, and some older women keep having easy babies for years. If you like your mare, then give it a shot. (Based on the photos and pedigree, I would find a younger stallion that produces hunters--one problem with her genetically is she is TB on the dam's side, so hard to predict what you might get, but my guess is she looks a lot like her TB mother, and her foal won't be too far off her. So I would stick with something close to what you have.)
    Good Luck.
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by feather river View Post
    These mares are just like everyone else--some young women cannot get pregnant for trying, and some older women keep having easy babies for years.
    The difficulty that I see is that this is a 22yr.old MAIDEN ,not an older broodmare who is keeping on with her career. My experience in breeding and foaling out mares is from many years ago, so perhaps ideas have changed. I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but..

The more expert opinions on this thread the better. There are many experts on this forum and I did notice the resounding silence in response to the OP..

3 members found this post helpful.

The thing with any breeding is that when it all goes well, it is WONDERFUL. But when it goes bad, it goes bad in a hurry, and it can be really bad. I don't think these older mares have the ability to stretch their ligaments and such that a young mare has.

Having said that, we bred a 17 year old maiden and everything went just fine. But we also bred a 15 year old mare who had a terrible time of it.

Yeah, this was definitely a case of not having anything nice to say so not saying anything at all for me but I do wish the OP and her mare well regardless.

3 members found this post helpful.

perhpas OP you could look into embryo transfer so you dont have to put your lovely mare at risk?

2 members found this post helpful.

I have no comments on the advisability of breeding an older maiden mare, but I did look up her dam's pedigree (since I am a TB pedigre maven). And she has a wonderful sport horse pedigree!!! Probably a major reason she was such a nice hunter.

I have added it to the All Breed database, but it will take several days to show up. So, here is her bottom line from the TB Pedigree database:
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/hill+round
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

1 members found this post helpful.