The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I know of a horse who was not advertised but was for sale for $7500 who recently sold. Warmblood mare, ready to show 2nd level, had working pirouettes and wonderful half pass work but hadn't had changes attempted yet as her owner had balance issues so it was beyond her. Sold for financial reasons and she wanted a good home for her, thus no advertising just word of mouth. 7 years old, fun on the trail, barefoot, sound, but not fancy. Not overly uphill build or 8 gaits, but she had rideable gaits, very adjustable between collected, working and medium gaits. She was priced that low because she wasn't super fancy, but was a bargain at that price from what I can tell. She did take a rider who was educated on using seat properly and doing upward not backward half halts - or she would drop on her forehand, but she could easily lift and carry with the right rider.

I know of an arab who is probably too small for the OP, but decent sized, nice mover, does well on the trails, has shown through first but has half pass, changes, etc. He's not an easy ride for second level type work and has been packing riders around lately so doesn't have the strength he needs to go show second - but he's a nice horse who just needs to be one of few enough horses for a knowledgeable rider to have the time to build his strength back up. Sound, can go barefoot or in shoes, also in the correct price range. Much fancier than the warmblood mare, but not as simple a ride.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

2 members found this post helpful.

What is a 'good home'?

I agree with NJRider about getting a TL horse, rather young, but sound and sane.

If I were a smaller lady, I would definitely buy an Arab and do the Arab-only dressage shows.

1 members found this post helpful.

For someone new(ish) to dressage, I wouldn't recommend a young or green horse. I just wouldn't. This sport is already hard; there's no reason to make it harder than it has to be.

I did a quick search on warmbloods-for-sale.com and found a couple candidates in your price range with your desired characteristics (1st or 2nd level, seemingly sane, 8-16 yrs old) and in your state.

Best of luck on your search!

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    PP and luvmydutch, I love haflingers! We had a couple in a lesson program I was involved with and they were great. Goofy, silly, and sometimes pranksters.... super fun under saddle, and super sound. I could ride them quite comfortably even though I am 5'8.

I agree on the Morgans-- we have a *lovely* one in our barn that is schooling 2nd and I would scoop him up in a minute. I think my experience owning one was a combo of unfortunate incidents, the largest being that she was unbroke, had been turned out for 4 years with minimal handling, and was from a line known to have a quirk.... which she did have....
    Here's a pic of my guy I think he's soooo beautiful

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...ps35540e31.jpg

i think it's doable.... i also think well trained 2nd (or more) level would be of great benefit - it just makes learning so much easier!

if you look to non WB horses or ponies you will find what you want.... good luck!

If you are willing to take on a mid-teens horse who is 2nd level, you can easily find that. One of my friends is just buying one now, 14 years old, shown 1st/2nd level had a few foals, less then $5k. Sound, sane, decent mover, 16.1 hand WB mare. If you are looking for that same horse at 6 years old, it will cost you 5 times that! And if you want very fancy movement at 6 years old, figure 8 to 10 times that price.

The "lower level schoolmaster" doesn't hold value well, which is a shame, because they are exactly what many riders need! So based on your original post, absolutely, you can find what you are looking for. But if you decide the horse must be younger (aka 5 to 8 years old) or a PSG horse, prepare to pay a lot more.

I sent you a PM with an ad!

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    If I were a smaller lady, I would definitely buy an Arab and do the Arab-only dressage shows.
    you could do arab shows, or I just show with everyone else. And I have a pinto colored 1/2 arab.... but he scores well so it hasn't been an issue. He was the best choice for me of any breed, its a good fit.

I'm interested in hearing these responses because I am kind of searching for the same thing as the OP, as far as age range (6-15)' price, and personality...calm and sane on trails and new situations. My difference, though is that I'm looking for pony size...13.2 to tops of 15 hands, and would be happy with a pony that could do training level and maybe first level dressage. I'm in the New England area and find there are a lot of cute hunter.jumper ponies around, but I don't want to jump and can't afford or really need a fancy dressage pony. I've put the word out, though......OP...if you find something for me, let know, and I"ll do the same for you! Horse hunting is so hard. I just want the perfect pony to fall into my lap!

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    What is a 'good home'?
    I suspect it varies widely depending on the owner what they think defines a good home, and that's why the deals looking for the owner's idea of a good home are often not advertised.

The one I knew of who recently sold and was a great deal wanted the horse to go to someone who would regularly work with a trainer in pretty classical methods, no use of draw reins or harsh bits, etc., keep her barefoot, leave the arena with her regularly. Showing and fancy barns weren't at all in the consideration - while with many people they would be an essential part of a "good home."
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

You can also consider looking in Canada. I have had two experiences, one GREAT and one truly HORRIBLE (and I think not totally on the up and up, IMHO) with breederdirect.net in Saskatchewan. You have to really be your own advocate if you are dealing with a border, but it can be a lot cheaper to go to Canada.

Tried to PM but your box is full. If the Poconos is not too far send me a PM I have one that sounds like your description.

Just wanted to update-- found a lovely 10 y/o WB through my trainer's connections. He was started and shown as a hunter by a very good pro. Then he was purchased by an adult rider much like myself, and made a career change to lower level dressage. His owner's circumstances have changed and he is very reasonably priced.

He is sane, sweet, tolerant and uncomplicated. He has a lead change and lovely flat work. He has an unfortunate head (lol) but is a good mover. He does have a capped hock, tho he is sound on it. His owner also uses my vet, so I know he's had good care.

I'm going to lease him for awhile and see how things go.... I decided I am gunshy about buying right now, I guess, after my previous horse debacles. However he ticks all the boxes on my list, so I am hopeful, and grateful I can lease him for now.

Anyway thanks for all the advice and input.... I guess you can find nice, ammie-friendly, reasonably priced horses with some dressage potential if you turn over enough rocks.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

6 members found this post helpful.

Sounds great - good idea with the lease, too. See if you can't live without your name on his nameplate

If you think outside the T'bred and Warmblood box, you can find some. Especially consider Saddlebreds. They are built uphill. Most have good minds and good gaits.

Oops, posted too soon. Congrats on finding a nice one. I will leave this comment in there though, in case anyone else needs to have their breed horizons widened <grin>.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Sounds perfect and a great age! Good luck with your lovely new horse

Your guy sounds lovely, Flash. Hope he works out. If I end up in the market again, I'm going to definitely look at off breeds. This guy at my barn and he is darling. And fun, and comfy. And a Paint. I've been seeing more and more of this type - stock horse but more refined and built uphill. They look like fun and uncomplicated rides. http://tbatx.wordpress.com/for-sale/austin/
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Sorry I didn't read all the post so some one might have said this already but, If I were in your position I (and if your willing to wait a little while for your next horse ) I would take my time let your horsey friends, trainer, random people at horse shows know what you were looking for, you never know what you will find 5 years ago I had some one try to GIVE me a horse that would have fit what your looking for. So just keep you "ear to the ground" and hopefully you'll find something.

OOps should have read the posts first Congrats on your new horse!