The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

Your son sounds like he's about to have a grand adventure.

Would it be possible for him to ship you home your souvenir? That will expand your options. (Mind, he can ride through Europe on a Connemara or ISH, provided he buys it boat fare to the continent, so really, he shouldn't discard that as an idea for something to bring home to his dear mum. )

Ireland: anything wool is obvious. I studied abroad in Dublin and brought my mom back a sheep plush toy... she has a thing about sheep, so this may not work for you. My favorite souvenirs for me were a pair of Guinness pint glasses and a poster, all with this on them. I maintain that my horse saw this poster in his youth and it informed his development and his world view...

Also horse related: I found an enormously thick wool dress sheet at a tack shop in Ireland for what amounted to $50 US. Took it home, paid another $50 to have it trimmed in my colors and monogrammed, and voila, custom color dress sheet in lovely thick winter wool for $100.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

and there are of course the Irish guys, kind of like int he Rambo commercial...neither is really hard on the eyes, young version as well as old guy
    (and they can ride...so it's HR)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

In order of ease of transport:

-Irish coin (there are a few with horses on them)

-greeting cards - they have wonderful horsey ones

-anything made by Sealskinz (I love their waterproof riding gloves & waterproof beanie hat)

-Thermatex blanket (if he has room)! - my absolute favourite blanket to put on a wet or sweaty horse - wicks away moisture and keeps the horse warm.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Your son sounds like he's about to have a grand adventure.

Would it be possible for him to ship you home your souvenir? That will expand your options. (Mind, he can ride through Europe on a Connemara or ISH, provided he buys it boat fare to the continent, so really, he shouldn't discard that as an idea for something to bring home to his dear mum. )

Ireland: anything wool is obvious. I studied abroad in Dublin and brought my mom back a sheep plush toy... she has a thing about sheep, so this may not work for you. My favorite souvenirs for me were a pair of Guinness pint glasses and a poster, all with this on them. I maintain that my horse saw this poster in his youth and it informed his development and his world view...

Also horse related: I found an enormously thick wool dress sheet at a tack shop in Ireland for what amounted to $50 US. Took it home, paid another $50 to have it trimmed in my colors and monogrammed, and voila, custom color dress sheet in lovely thick winter wool for $100.
    Funny you should mention sheep...I have a collection of porcelain sheep with wool bodies, that I used to collect everytime I went to Highlands, NC. They are pretty darn cute, I couldn't resist and they remind me of one of my favorite places!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    ....What would it be? My son is traveling through Europe for 2 months and will be spending a few weeks with his best friend who lives in Scotland. They will probably travel to Ireland. Unfortunately, he will be missing my birthday, so I have requested something from Ireland or Scotland, but am not sure exactly how to narrow it down. So if you could splurge and get something from either country, what would it be?
    Have him bring you back a late model Sean Connery.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

1 members found this post helpful.

I'll take a Clydesdale, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    souvenir printed tea towel. I know they are old fashioned- that's what I like about them. USA tourist attraction/towns never make tea towels of their sites- but in Europe they do, so to me it documents a little culture difference to cherish.
    We do, and little souvenier spoons and thimbles I didn't know everybody didn't do that

Good presents (apart from an Irish Draught horse, which would ruin the baggage allowance).

Tweed. Irish tweed is excellent, as is Irish Linen, and crystal and china.

If you drink, how about some Irish Whiskey?

1 members found this post helpful.

Gerard Butler. Duh.

But to keep it HR -- I order my dressage bridles from Scotland, MUCH cheaper than I can get them in the US. Give him the measurements you need and let him bring you home some nice new tack.

Sean Connery
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg