The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We rented some of both as fleet vehicles for a job we were doing (about 20 people sharing them). The F-150s were overwhelmingly more popular than the Tundras once everyone had a chance to drive several hours in both.
    ---------------------------

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I don't know how you all get 20+ mpg with an F-150...please, let me in on the secret!

I have a 2008 F-150 FX4, extended cab (not the full 4 door), with the 6' bed. Its the 5.4L V8...I have calculated my mpg numerous times, and without towing anything, the highest I've ever gotten is 14 mpg.

I love my Ford for towing, regardless of the crappy fuel mileage. I've never had an issue pulling my steel 14' stock trailer with a dressing room with two horses on board, along with tack for both horses. It pulls it well, stops it well, and I don't even know the trailer is back there.

I did recently test drive a brand new Tundra and honestly...I liked driving my 2008 Ford better. Granted, I didn't tow with it, but I didn't get that "OMG, I love this new truck, I must have it!" feeling. I walked away and am still glad to have my Ford.
    Get yours looked over by a good mechanic, as that seems way too much gas going thru it.

I have checked the mileage with the gadget that tells you how you are doing as you are driving along and at the end with the records of miles driven and how much gas we buy for our overhead tanks and both match, so I know it is true.

Now, just going to get the mail to town and back, down the side roads and dirt roads, it uses more like 17/18, but going down the highway to the big town for groceries, it gets easily 22+.

On the average over many days, it hovers about 19+, with some hauling also.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I don't know how you all get 20+ mpg with an F-150...please, let me in on the secret!
    Depends on the year and engine configuration as well as the way you drive. The current crop of F150s with the Ecoboost engine get very good rural and highway mileage for folks who need to use them as daily drivers. There are many variables, however, including terrain, stop/go frequency, short/long trips, colder climates, etc. But even the 2000 Tundra I owned two vehicles ago got decent mileage for its ilk simply because of the way I drive. I seem to remember averaging about 16 in typical rural driving and as much as 19 on the highway.

Bluey & Jim in PA:

Its a 2008, no EcoBoost, unfortunately!

Bluey, it checks out fine. I had a 2007 prior to this one that was a lease, and that wasn't any better on fuel mileage, in fact, the 2008 I have now is probably a smidge better.

I am in Vermont so we're definitely driving some hills, and its limited highway driving when I do drive it. But even when I do drive highway, I'm not getting better than 15 with it, I've computed the mpg to specifically guage this.

I test drove a Tundra at the end of January...nothing jumped out at me, I actually liked my 2008 F-150 better than the new Tundra. Maybe the MPG will be what sways me to get the Tundra, however!

I know someone with a new F-250, the 2013 model year, and he's getting 17-19 just rural commute driving. I may upgrade into one of those anyways if I decide I'm going to haul a gooseneck. The Fords look so robotic though...I definitely like the looks of the Tundra better!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    I'm not familiar with Fords, but I know they lead in trucks.
    Ah, no. Not at all. Not RUNNING trucks anyway.
    get a 4x4 for sure- you will so want that!
    tundra makes a great truck.
    Stay away from Fords (unless you are in love with a mechanic). They do ride nice but you will be sucked dry at the pump (and not in a good way!!)

Thanks for this thread, good to know the gorgeous silver Tundra I've been drooling over, which would look soooooo good pullling my Eclipse trailer, actually tows as good as it looks.

My non-farm car is a Scion, and the little thing is as close to an air fern as cars get, so I'm a huge Toyota fan.

Only thing keeping me from taking the plunge is the unattractive idea of going down a $25K rathole of debt, and the gas mileage that's no better than my old Dakota.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Only thing keeping me from taking the plunge is the unattractive idea of going down a $25K rathole of debt, and the gas mileage that's no better than my old Dakota.
    If you're planning to buy new, you'd better prepare yourself for sticker shock because the one I just looked at was about $10K more than that...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Ask around here too.

http://www.edmunds.com/truck/

No experience with Toyota, but I have a 2001 F150 that has over 200K miles on it and it's still doing great. Low maintenance, and good gas mileage.

I get about 20 mpg with it not towing anything, but I have a V6, not a V8. It pulls (and stops) my two horse steel stock trailer just fine. Although where I live it is pool-table-flat. The few times I've tried to tow up hills convinced me I will never haul to the mountains in it.

Mine is 2WD. My next one will be 4WD, since I've had to call a tow truck several times over the years to get me out of muddy fields.

We have owned numerous Fords throughout the years. We typically get 200K plus on a gas engine. And we work them hard but we also stay on top of maintenance. Our trucks don't sit, either, which is something that I think happens when folks buy a towing specific vehicle. Get 4WD. We've used our F-150s for towing old steel trailers back and forth to SC Upstate and had no issues. Might be tricky to haul up Black Mountain grade, but not terribly so, I don't think given the way the truck handled otherwise.

We've got friends who own a VARIETY of trucks of all sizes (dumps, 3500, light duty - interestingly enough no Fords). Their Toyota gets horrible towing gas mileage. And I'm not sure what sort of Ford didn't feel "beefier" compared to the Tundra but our experience is exactly the opposite. The Toy-ota felt small and light; the cabin wasn't very comfy either.

There are lemons in every brand...we haven't had a lemon with Ford though I must say we haven't really owned anything else (though we've ridden in them and test driven them). As for the crap I get from a lot of the old men around here who like to tell me Ford stands for "fixed or repaired daily" or some other nonsense, I just smile...seems like the loudest ones always end up stuck somewhere or broke down and we pull them out or pick them up using our Ford. I used to tease them that I was going to take a photo of their broke down/stuck Dodge or Chevy and put it on the post office bulletin board.

FWIW - we're planning a truck purchase in the next year or so...unless something major happens to change our minds, it'll be another Ford.

Have fun truck shopping!

Just updating this thread from my original post (#6).

We had a 2010 Tundra that my husband and I LOVED (after having a nice F150 that we liked pretty well). It was the one with the 4.7 liter engine, two wheel drive, double cab. It was a fantastic truck, but we do a lot of towing (horse trailer and travel trailer), and (most importantly) we are preparing for a move to the N.C. mountains in a year and a half when our daughter graduates. The two wheel drive was going to be an issue for us, for sure (at least that was a big concern).

We had JUST made our last payment on the Tundra last month. *sigh* And we are back into three more years of payments all over again, LOL!!

But, the good news is....I have a brand new 2013 Tundra!

This one is the 5.7 liter engine, 4 wheel drive, plus a back-up camera that I LOVE!!! And then it came with all the same bells and whistles as the last one (blue tooth, 6 cd changer, leather interior, bed liner, front end sensors etc)

I'm very excited!!

Meet Tuffy Tundra 2.0

(sorry for the crappy cell phone pic - been very rainy here)...
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps3e1e940c.jpg

Interior
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps5c20c2ad.jpg

I have a Hilux, which is the Tundra's little sister and I adore it. Reliable, comfy, tows well.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I have a 1997 Ford F150. No complaints - it hasn't had any work done in 100,000 miles other than oil changes and tire rotations (knock on wood, hoping I don't jinx myself).

I drive a 2600 mile cross-country round trip 3-4 times a year, and it has never had an issue.

I pull a 2-horse warmblood-size bumper pull with it with 2700 pounds of horses inside, and I think it does great. I used to trailer somewhere at least twice a week, but now I'm down to once a month or every other month.

No complaints. It's a good, sturdy, hard-working vehicle. It's comfortable an performs well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.