The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ford F150 or Tundra (not hauling much)

I've read some posts regarding both of these vehicles, but wanted to see if anyone can weigh in on that situation I would be using a truck for.

I'm not going to be hauling much at all. If/when I do it would be most likely a BP (steel) with one horse and not for more than 150 miles round trip.

I'm looking basically for a farm truck. Dragging the ring (if it fits), dragging pasture, going off road in other pastures, picking up hay/feed etc. I have a Rav4 that I can use otherwise. BUT I do want to make sure it can haul my horses when I need it to.

Based on my experience with Toyota, I would get another one in a heart beat. My old Rav4 has had less than 800 repairs in 15 years! I'm not familiar with Fords, but I know they lead in trucks. Not sure about the quality of trucks for toyota.

This would be a used truck too.

One more question: Is it useless to get a truck with only 2WD? Is 4WD a must. I will be getting a v8.

I have a 1990 F150 regular cab and bed, 4x4 that is still kicking and pulling good.
    Then I have a new F150 4x4, crew cab and 6 1/2' bed, that is miles better in so many ways, pulls more and better.

We have been lucky, I guess, to never have had any but good pickups.
    Around here, most ranchers have Ford, farmers Chevy and those that have bigger pickups to haul much but not over ranch roads GMCs.
    I think all those are fine, very little difference between them, other than the name of the brand.

Before the 1990 pickup, we found a good buy in a 1988 Chevy with low mileage, but the silly thing would overheat pulling, so we traded it for the 1990 Ford.
    Later we found that model Chevy had that problem.
    Seems that some models are more of a lemon than what brand they may be.

We have so many dirt roads, 4x4 is really necessary for us, even in this drought.
    We also have very aggressive tires on the 1990 Ford, so we can get around most any place.

I just sold a 09 F-150 4x4 it was a nice truck and hauled 'ok', granted I used it for 1200+ mile round trips hauling horses or 100 bales of alfalfa hay. Using it locally it worked fine. The best thing I can say about it was the MPG, it would get around 20 mpg just running around. I've never had any dealings with Toyota but I don't think they get the best mpg? The only reason I sold my truck was because the fiance and I are consolidating property and he has a suburban that is geared for hauling.

As far as 2x4 or 4x4 goes I've had both and would never have something without 4x4 now. If you are wanting to use the truck for any off road use I would recommend it. I'd rather have it and not have to use it than not have it and have to get someone to help me get unstuck. It does affect the mpg a little but I have a car as a daily driver so it wasn't a big deal for me.

Get the Tundra. You really can't beat the reliability and low maintenance cost. Definitely get 4x4.

I use a Tundra V8 for trailering, lots of power, I can accelerate going uphill with a steel stock trailer and two horses. I have had it for almost 3 years with no complaints. Short hood is nice when manuvering. Mine is rated for 10,800lbs. Check towing capacity though - the extended and super cabs have slightly less. We bought the toyota over the ford because of pricing - the toyota I could get the bigger engine, tow package, in a basic interior, with the ford I could only get the better towing set up if I got the fancy interior and bells and whistles package for a lot more money. Definetly get 4x4, horse show parking can be dubious, and automatic so you can crawl without burning out your clutch.

I've had both.

I had an F150 with the extended bed. It wasn't cheap, but we were glad to have it...it was a work horse and did its job well.

Poor turn radius but an acceptable ride - like you'd expect from a truck.

It had typical "Ford" issues (mostly cosmetic ones like radio button coming off, trim pulling away, etc), but nothing that was going to break the bank. I liked it. So did my husband.

I currently have a 2010 Tundra. In addition to towing the horses, we also have a travel trailer - so we have the 4x4 with the higher towing capacity.

I am in love with this truck..........and wished I'd considered it sooner!! I originally purchased the Ford because they were what we thought of when we thought of "truck."

This Tundra has a nice, small turn radius (for a truck!), and I have no problems parking it anywhere! Not even parking garages.

It has a ton of power when you need it, and it rides more like a sedan than a truck.

It is nearly three years old now, and it still looks brand new....no stupid trim issues to make me crazy.

My husband and I fight over who gets to drive the truck. I usually win :-)

I know people who LOVE LOVE their Tundras, pulling two horse trailers (gooseneck and/or bumper). I also know people who LOVE LOVE their Fords. If you are thinking used, I'd look at both and find the one that is the best deal for you. wherever you are. In either case, think 4/4 and towing capacity. Given your demands, I think you will be fine w/ either one. I have a Tahoe, and if I ever move to a pick up, I'd look at both.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

1 members found this post helpful.

The best truck is the one you get the better deal on.

2 members found this post helpful.

We are ob.SESSED with our Tundra. We have a 2010. My husband uses it as his daily driver and I drive it for hauling, farm chores, Home Depot runs... I haul an older 2 horse with full dressing room and it pulls like the trailer isn't even there. I do mostly local trips but also did a 600 mile trek in one day and never got tired of it hauling that trailer back there!

We have a 2002 Tundra. It has hauled a two horse BP with two horses from Texas to Michigan. Michigan to KY and back a few times, and then from MI back to TX. We've hauled to a handful of shows while back in Texas, we showed a couple of times/month when up in MI.

It has 150K miles on it and is no longer pretty - the tornado a few years ago did some cosmetic damage and life has given it some other dings. It is still running well and hauls the horse trailer and travel trailer well.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I have a 2009 Tundra (5.7 V8 4WD with tow package) that we bought lightly used in 2010 and use it to tow a Featherlite aluminum 2 horse gooseneck. Love my Tundra! It handles the hills of Western NY and PA well. I generally haul just one horse at a time but it can handle both of them. When we're in Florida in the winter it's also my everyday ride. Can't say I'm crazy about driving a truck every day but it drives and handles well for a truck. And it's been very reliable. Can't speak to a Ford but would say the Tundra is definitely worth a good look.

Tundra. Hands down. The newer ones are superb trucks to haul with. I've dealt with Fords over the years, and honestly, I wouldn't have a one made past 2005. Obviously you are familiar with the joys of Toyota ownership, so I don't have to convince you there. It's also a MUCH more comfortable ride.

The best part of the Tundra is that it is SAFE. Take it from someone who walked out of a BAD wreck unharmed due to her truck protecting her. The truck was totaled, but it did a very good job keeping me alive.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Love my 2010 Tundra! It's my daily driver and I use it haul my 2 horse XL gooseneck. It gets about 16 mpg without the trailer and 12 or so with. It definitely feels beefier than a F150 to me.

They also hold their value really well. We were planning to buy used, but went with new because it was only a couple thousand dollars more than what we could find on the used market.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Love my 2010 Tundra! It's my daily driver and I use it haul my 2 horse XL gooseneck. It gets about 16 mpg without the trailer and 12 or so with. It definitely feels beefier than a F150 to me.

They also hold their value really well. We were planning to buy used, but went with new because it was only a couple thousand dollars more than what we could find on the used market.
    My F150 4x4 gets 21+ without a trailer and 16+ with a 4 horse 16' GN stock trailer with two horses.

I think there are more Toyota pickups already here than I have ever seen in person around our area.

I like Airhorse's advice best, try several and get the one you like best and is the best buy for you, no matter what brand it may be.

I just looked at the Consumer Reports comparison chart for 2012 trucks. The Tundra had all full red circles (best you can get) for EVERY catagory! I have never seen a truck with a perfect score.

The other truck lines were lucky to have full white circles (average). Most of them had half black to full black circles.

If I could find one in my price range, I would get a 2012 Tundra, in a New York minute!

Last week, the tranny on my 2004 Dodge 4x4, with a Hemi, struggled through the mountains of WV and NC. I was praying that it would get us home. We were pulling a Hawk, no dressing room and one horse.

If you can find one in your price range, go for the Tundra!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    I just looked at the Consumer Reports comparison chart for 2012 trucks. The Tundra had all full red circles (best you can get) for EVERY catagory! I have never seen a truck with a perfect score.

The other truck lines were lucky to have full white circles (average). Most of them had half black to full black circles.

If I could find one in my price range, I would get a 2012 Tundra, in a New York minute!

Last week, the tranny on my 2004 Dodge 4x4, with a Hemi, struggled through the mountains of WV and NC. I was praying that it would get us home. We were pulling a Hawk, no dressing room and one horse.

If you can find one in your price range, go for the Tundra!
    I used to believe Consumer Reports was honest, but several stories about how they are not made me realized that they were like any other business, looking after their bottom line, mercenary after all.

I would not put too much count on how they measure and compare anything any more, would not give them my money for their questionable opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    , in a New York minute!

:
    cannot get those any more, too fatting

Eating too fast could almost double your chances of becoming obese, according to Japanese research.

Osaka University monitored the eating habits of 3,000 people and found that people were 84 per cent more likely to become obese if they ate at speed

Therefore Mayor Bloomberg has eliminated the New York Minute

3 members found this post helpful.

We were considering both the tundra and the F150 but ended up with the F150 only because we were able to get an EcoBoost engine as mpg was very important. Our truck also has to be a commuter vehicle! I would not buy a truck that didn't have 4 x 4, but I suppose your climate has a lot to do with that.

So far, so good. IMO the tundra is a better looking vehicle!

I don't know how you all get 20+ mpg with an F-150...please, let me in on the secret!

I have a 2008 F-150 FX4, extended cab (not the full 4 door), with the 6' bed. Its the 5.4L V8...I have calculated my mpg numerous times, and without towing anything, the highest I've ever gotten is 14 mpg.

I love my Ford for towing, regardless of the crappy fuel mileage. I've never had an issue pulling my steel 14' stock trailer with a dressing room with two horses on board, along with tack for both horses. It pulls it well, stops it well, and I don't even know the trailer is back there.

I did recently test drive a brand new Tundra and honestly...I liked driving my 2008 Ford better. Granted, I didn't tow with it, but I didn't get that "OMG, I love this new truck, I must have it!" feeling. I walked away and am still glad to have my Ford.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by mlb722 View Post
    IMO the tundra is a better looking vehicle!
    This I do agree with!

I have the last year of the old style Ford, before they made the front ends looks like robots, and I 110% agree that the Tundra's are a much better looking truck! That's what prompted me to try one, because when I am ready to trade my F-150, I think the new ones are ugly and I liked the looks of the Tundra better.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."