The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    As an aside, I just filled my Pentosan prescription with Wedgewood and it was, with shipping, $119 for a 50mL vial. So much easier to handle than the $365 I paid for Adequan.

I hope it provides your guy with relief.
    Whoa. My last order was $280!

Is this what you're getting:
    Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium, 250 mg/ml, Injection Solution, 6 ml

FWIW - my vet had never heard of it before I asked for the Rx.

Edited - just called wedgewood. The high price is because they were sending 6 ml vials. I switched to a 100ml and just saved over $100.
    Last edited by Sparky Boy; Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    My vet recommended 6.5 cc IM every 5-7 days through a 50 ml bottle, so final dose was a little short. Repeat in 6 mos. My mare is 1250-1300 lbs.

I saw improvement just after the second shot.
    Given that this is a COMPOUNDED medication and there are at least two different strengths compounded, it is irresponsible to post information like this without knowing the strength of the medication. The CORRECT dose should be measured by weight. And your VET should tell you what that correct dose is based on the prescription.
    *shakes head* the internet is really not a good place to get veterinary advice. You might want to ask questions about the product. But please, make sure you are giving the right dose by talking to your VET!

I am also a HUGE fan of Pentosan having started it based on my reading here. But, you can bet I talked to a VET about the correct dose and didn't get that information here!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Boy View Post
    Whoa. My last order was $280!

Is this what you're getting:
    Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium, 250 mg/ml, Injection Solution, 6 ml

FWIW - my vet had never heard of it before I asked for the Rx.

Edited - just called wedgewood. The high price is because they were sending 6 ml vials. I switched to a 100ml and just saved over $100.
    Glad you got that sorted out! Saving is a good thing
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor2 View Post
    Given that this is a COMPOUNDED medication and there are at least two different strengths compounded, it is irresponsible to post information like this without knowing the strength of the medication. The CORRECT dose should be measured by weight. And your VET should tell you what that correct dose is based on the prescription.
    *shakes head* the internet is really not a good place to get veterinary advice. You might want to ask questions about the product. But please, make sure you are giving the right dose by talking to your VET!

I am also a HUGE fan of Pentosan having started it based on my reading here. But, you can bet I talked to a VET about the correct dose and didn't get that information here!
    I am SO GLAD that MY VET trusts me enough to do the necessary research to give MY HORSE the pentosan that MY VET prescribed. I am REAL GLAD that you do what YOUR VET recommends and prescribes...but I am completely competant to handle this. MY VET said that HE feels I can't do ANY harm in giving this medication, and its the last step before full retirement...If I hurt MY GELDING giving this medication...I AM responsible, and will deal with the consequences. Thanks for your input, but NOT helpful here...