The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Baby diapers and horse hooves

What size diapers?

Horse is 15 h and 900# or so. He is barefoot so I can't give you a keg shoe size.

Does he need newborn diapers? Larger? Smaller-- preemie style? just how big is a baby butt?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I think I always buy newborn diapers. But I remember going through some leftover size 2s that I had from one of my kids and those worked just fine too. From a $$ perspective, the smaller sizes are generally cheaper (and you get more to a pack), so I say stick to those

ETA: I use the NB size on my large horses with feet that range from size 2 (17h TB) to size 4 (17h WB). Haven't ever had a diaper that seemed too small.
    Last edited by PNWjumper; Mar. 27, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

Your horses must have some seriously small hooves.

Buy bigger...then they won't ever be too small. I buy the largest I can find.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I used newborn or preemie size with my mare, who is about the same size as your horse and wears size 1 or 2 shoes.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Thank you all!

I'm not afraid of some duct tape being on the hoof or fur so as to hold the whole mess on. Are you Big Baby Butt types trying to swaddle the whole hoof in diaper?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My size 2 hoof TB is a newborn diaper wearer. The brand I bought had double layers and the inner elastic perfectly hugs the outside of his hoof to stay in place while I fumble and drop pieces of duct tape all over. At least the brand I had would be too small for larger hooves - I'd go for the next size up if buying for my WB filly.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Newborn diapers

I've heard Gorilla tape is supposed to be really good to use instead of duct tape.

I have no real answer for you, but I DO have an amusing tale to tell.

I dealt with my first abscess when I was probably about 16 or 17. I was COMPLETELY clueless and unprepared (seriously thought my horse had broken his leg when I found him non-weight bearing in the field). The vet came out, talked me off my ledge, gave me a list of supplies, including diapers, and showed me how to wrap a foot.

I dutifully went to WalMart to buy diapers and other things....and stood looking very, very lost in the middle of the diaper aisle for about 10 minutes, trying desperately to figure out what size baby's butt closest approximated Neigh's foot. I got a lot of "Ahh, poor thing" looks. I think everyone thought I was a new teenage mom and couldn't figure out what size diapers my baby needed.

2 members found this post helpful.

I always buy the biggest size available (like the ones for kids that should have been potty trained longggg before they could possibly be using that size LOL!). I have small horses- Morgans and Arabs.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I prefer maxi pads, so I don't have as much bulk up and over the coronet.
    Click here before you buy.

I bought premies for a 17hh IDSH. They were a tad small. But they did the job.

Gorilla tape is the BOMB for making booties. It is thicker, tougher and stickier than your regular 3M duct tape.

Every time I have to buy them, which is infrequent only because I always buy a big old box when I do, I stand in the aisle trying to figure out the size. And am truly amazed at the selection, being childfree. Not just sizes, but fasteners and colors and filler and who knows what else. Truly daunting! I have called my vet from the store to ask, how big a diaper for Dobbin? And then you load up the basket with diapers, duct tape, epsom salts, and chocolate (my fuel for any task) and check out, looking like you are planning some odd child abduction.

Someone said buy the biggest, but those would be adult size!

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Your horses must have some seriously small hooves.

Buy bigger...then they won't ever be too small. I buy the largest I can find.
    Me too.

If they are too big trimming is always an option. Adding more if they are too small does not work.

I have never had a problem with bunching at the top or anything and I have applied way too many of these things.

Newborn diaper wearere here too... Boy is 16.2 TB and wears a size 2.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Newborn diaper and Gorilla tape.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Size 1 here. But only because I had left over diapers after making a diaper cake for my daughter-in-law. The price was right.

If the OP is referring to something for bandaging for abscesses and such, I've always had best luck with blue lab bench underpads. This was the first link I found, I'm sure you can find more options online. Just cut to size! Much cheaper and less waste than diapers.

ETA: I put this as a bottom layer (or over medication, abscess pads, whatever) and then duct tape it on. I second recommendations for Gorilla tape. Usually I make a Gorilla tape bottom and then wrap regular tape around the hoof wall. If you've got lots of funds and/or are super worried about keeping whatever it is stuck to the hoof, elastikon works the best, hands down. It lasts 3-4X longer than any duct tape, but I put a layer of duct tape over it to protect it since it's cloth-like.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    Size 1 here. But only because I had left over diapers after making a diaper cake for my daughter-in-law. The price was right.
    I'm scared to ask. Diaper cake? Does that merit a or or or ???

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I'm scared to ask. Diaper cake? Does that merit a or or or ???
    I've made 3 so far and an planning a fourth. So far they've all merited .

To keep it HR note the zebra: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

and the pony security blanket: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

I bought size 1 for a horse about that size, and kind of wished I had gone bigger. Are you anywhere near S. Jersey? I have a crapload of size 1 diapers that I'll never use for their intended purpose!