The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pentosan Peeps! PLEASE ADVISE!

I am super excited to start my Pentosan, as my vet is letting me try it for a few months...but I need help on TWO things...1) How many mL's do you typically start with? 6mL's? I thought I had read on here before that several people actually do 8mL....2) What is the PREFERRED method for administration? I am comfortable giving IM and IV...
    Any help would be appreciated...although my vet prescribed it, he never has, so I am going at this alone, so to speak...TIA!

3mg/kg IM. It is dosed based on weight, not on what people "typically" use. It is most definietly NOT APPROVED for IV use. Crikey! It is not a matter of what is "preferred".

Are you sure you are choosing an appropriate treatment for your horse? If your vet doesn't know the proper dose or route of administration, is he/she even familiar enough with it to say whether or not it's appropriate?

Like any drug, this is not something to give casually or without a healthy respect for proper dosing, administration, pros and cons.
    Click here before you buy.

4 members found this post helpful.

6 mL, IM, every week for four weeks (1060lbs mare), then every 2 weeks since, and (crossing fingers, knocking wood) sound after about 2 months.

I would do some more reading, if you were considering IV administration.

2 members found this post helpful.

Your vet prescribed it but didn't give you all that information? What kind of a vet is she or he?

My vet is an AWESOME VET!!!!! Thanks for asking. As I was reading about pentosan, i admit i misunderstood the mode(s) of administration...i was also researching another drug for another purpose...SO...Before you go and question my ability to handle something, please understand THAT'S WHY I CAME HERE! FOR HELP! I don't even HAVE my pentosan yet, it will be here next week, so I am taking this opportunity to FULLY understand administration and such. Due to the fact my vet has NO other clients on this drug, hw spends more of him time recommending things he does know about. I was the one that talked him into letting me try this drug, as we're running out of choices with my senior horse. I really don't want to inject every joint he has with steroids, previcox is pointless with my gelding, and adequan is WAY too expensive. Don't think for a second that i am taking this decision "LIGHTLY"...I DO KNOW what the recommended dosage is, but had heard alot of people "tweeking" that dose over time. I just came here to gain some insight. I AM COMPETENT...MY VET IS COMPETENT, AND my gelding IS going on Pentosan! Period. So, anyways, thanks thus far for the advice, have a good day

My vet recommended 6.5 cc IM every 5-7 days through a 50 ml bottle, so final dose was a little short. Repeat in 6 mos. My mare is 1250-1300 lbs.

I saw improvement just after the second shot.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    My vet recommended 6.5 cc IM every 5-7 days through a 50 ml bottle, so final dose was a little short. Repeat in 6 mos. My mare is 1250-1300 lbs.

I saw improvement just after the second shot.

Thank you stryder....I REALLY REALLY hope to have an outcome like yours!

My horse was very stiff and my new trainer suggested it to me. I just thought he had bad movement (why he was cheaper to purchase) and suprise he just has some arthritis. He vetted clean so it's not bad was just obviously affecting him under saddle. I gave him 6ML of the 250mg/ml concentration IM once a week for 4 weeks. Tomorrow he gets his 4th shot. After his first injection I noticed a difference within a few days. After 3 shots it's like I have a new horse. He just moves soooo well! After the 4th shot I am going to go to one shot a month and see how he does. If he gets stiff towards the end of the month I will be decreasing the amount of time inbetween shots. He will now stay on Pentosan for the rest of his life I hope you see great results! Also have you considered oral msm? It's super cheap and a proven anti-inflammatory. I took my guy off his oral joint supplement which did nothing and am going to keep him on his multivitamin and add msm.

Quote Originally Posted by stargzng386 View Post
    My horse was very stiff and my new trainer suggested it to me. I just thought he had bad movement (why he was cheaper to purchase) and suprise he just has some arthritis. He vetted clean so it's not bad was just obviously affecting him under saddle. I gave him 6ML of the 250mg/ml concentration IM once a week for 4 weeks. Tomorrow he gets his 4th shot. Af
    ter his first injection I noticed a difference within a few days. After 3 shots it's like I have a new horse. He just moves soooo well! After the 4th shot I am going to go to one shot a month and see how he does. If he gets stiff towards the end of the month I will be decreasing the amount of time inbetween shots. He will now stay rest of his life I hope you see great results! Also have you considered oral msm? It's super cheap and a proven anti-inflammatory. I took my guy off his oral joint supplement which did nothing and am going to keep him on his multivitamin and add msm.

Great News on your horse! Again, I am VERY HOPEFUL to have one of the MANY success stories I have heard about
    from new users like yourself! My gelding has been on MSM for 7 months now, and it does not seem to do a darn thing for him. I feel like I've tried it all, and am hoping this is it for us.

You may want to read up on the research of Dr. McIlwraith, as he has done a lot of research with Pentosan. This might be helpful -
    http://ivs.sg/IVSwp/wp-content/uploa...s-portrait.pdf
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    You may want to read up on the research of Dr. McIlwraith, as he has done a lot of research with Pentosan. This might be helpful -
    http://ivs.sg/IVSwp/wp-content/uploa...s-portrait.pdf

Idaziens: Thank you! That is an article I had not come across during my research and it was very imformative!

That is not RESEARCH. It's a blatant advertisement from the makers of Pentaussie, with the push being to use it in perfectly sound young horses with NO data to back that up. Yuck. These vets were probably paid handsomely to have this "discussion". No dissenting voice, no evidence, no mention of possible side effects, no declaration of an absence of conflict of interest. Boo.
    Last edited by deltawave; Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM.

Buy it, try it, and decide for yourself. MSM does nothing as far as I am concerned, tho I did hear that it helps with breathing problems?allergies? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Buy it, try it, and decide for yourself. MSM does nothing as far as I am concerned, tho I did hear that it helps with breathing problems?allergies? Anyone know?
    Thats EXACTLY what i'm going to do...TRY IT! It can't hurt my gelding anymore than he already is...and again, i'm very hopeful he will get some relief with it...I have read EVERYTHING and ANYTHING anyone else who uses this stuff has read, and i'm going forward full steam ahead! Wish me and my old man good luck! This is it! :/

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    That is not RESEARCH. It's a blatant advertisement from the makers of Pentaussie, with the push being to use it in perfectly sound young horses with NO data to back that up. Yuck. These vets were probably paid handsomely to have this "discussion". No dissenting voice, no evidence, no declaration of an absence of conflict of interest. Boo.
    Maybe so...BUT, regardless of this specific article, the drug has been proven to work as I need it to work on my geldings osteoarthritis. This is what's important to me. There is enough proof out there from enough sources, that has made me decide to take the plunge, so to speak.

I did the loading dose as recommended. My guy is only 14.2 and not too stiff, so now with my second bottle, I'm giving 5mg every 4 weeks. I'll get exactly 10 doses from the bottle.

He's also on a double dose of MSM, and I think at that dose it has helped a bit.

Don't misunderstand me. I am a fan of Pentosan. I use it on one of my own horses. But that doesn't mean it is a panacea or something to use thoughtlessly. And it doesn't make that silly "roundtable" advertisement anything other than what it is: a not-so-cleverly disguised shtick for a decent product whose makers want to see every animal on the planet getting it, apparently.

My disgust is for the marketing side, not the product itself. I think it's quite good stuff for the proper situation.

As an aside, I just filled my Pentosan prescription with Wedgewood and it was, with shipping, $119 for a 50mL vial. So much easier to handle than the $365 I paid for Adequan.

I hope it provides your guy with relief.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Deltawave:
    PPS (pentosan) resulted in significant improvement in
    reducing cartilage fibrillation & strong trend
    (p=0.063) for overall improvement in cartilage
    histologic improvement → DMOAD (disease modifying) properties (as opposed to symptom modifying)
    Several parameters showed numerical
    improvement
    􀂄 Lameness
    􀂄 Joint flexion
    􀂄 Synovial fluid TP, collagen degradation, CS846

Not sure if it's published yet but it's from a CSU study, I'm assuming from the orthopaedic research center. That info is pulled directly from McIlwraith's lecture notes to us. He believes in it over Adequan and basically says that if you're going to spend money on something, spend it on Pentosan.

Also, Faith Hughes has done a clinical study regarding usage.

The drug has been used in Canine OA and has several studies there. Additionally, they are trying to get it licensed in the US right now which isn't an easy process.

Again, I think Pentosan is a terrific product! I object to all forms of advertising (thinly, in this case) veiled as "research", however.