The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default RIP FBI K9 Ape

Thank you Ape, for you part in ending the standoff with the man who terrorized our community.

http://www.wktv.com/news/valley-shoo...198195461.html

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh man! That sucks! He just finished his training, too. Poor pup!

I suppose the suspect is alive? Or did he do the suicide-by-cop thing? That worthless hunk of stale monkey poo.

Suicide by cop. They intended to take him out alive, but then he shot Ape, and they all fired on him. That man had shot 6 men, killing 4 of them.

RIP Ape. Thinking of you...
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

I'm close enough to Herkimer to have been interested in the outcome and, when I read the news that he had shot and killed the dog, I felt so sad. My sympathies go out to the families of the dead and Ape's handler.

Close to home here as well. Had just stopped to pick up some groceries in Herkimer the night before, en route home from a trip up north.

This was a frightening, apparently random, and long lasting incident, and so many are indebted to this wonderful dog.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

This happened in the town where my grandparents live. So very, very sad for the community and now ever more heart wrenching knowing that souless jerk took K9 Ape with him. May he rot in hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, lots of people here with local connections. Me too- my favorite pizza place is in Herkimer, been through Mohawk a million times. Stuff like this just doesn't happen there. RIP Ape.

Dogs, especially the K9 ones, do so much for mankind it is amazing how little credit and recognition they get. RIP Ape...ya done good!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

http://www.ushonorflag.org/

Ape is the first K9 who will receive special honors from The United States Honor Flag.

Locally, the Herkimer County Humane Society is dedicating their annual Mutt Strutt to Ape and the Herkimer Police have set up a fund toward a local memorial.

My mother works in a building that is directly across the street from the back of the building the Kurt Myers was hiding in. Her building was on lock down and all the personnel were moved into areas out of direct line of sight. My brothers live a couple blocks from the two scenes in Mohawk. My daughter, niece and nephew were in schools that were locked down. For 23 hours there was fear in my household, in our valley, and in a large area of the state. Every local police force was on scene as well as County Sherrifs, State Troopers, FBI, Federal Marshals and likely others that I'm forgetting. There were several K9 units. I'm thankful for every single one of them.

our guide puppy group raised money to buy a kevlar vest for a local police dog. seems like that should be standard issue.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

1 members found this post helpful.