The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Looking ahead: where do you usually find good end of season deals on Rambo rugs?

The trusty old midweight Rhino is dying and needs replaced. I'm keeping an eye out on the usual tack shop suspects for end of season deals; it's still probably a hair early for the really deep discounts, if they're going to exist (and that's debatable...) but has anyone found any good prices at a specific retailer in the past? I got his original rugs at half-off at a shop that is now closed. That is still my benchmark for "awesome Rambo deals."

Tip really does fit best in Rambo. I keep trying to convince him he might like something less expensive, but he tells me he'll kill any other rug deader, faster. Snob horse.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I got a Rhino for $40 from Stateline once-- it was an odd size (68) though.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    I got a Rhino for $40 from Stateline once-- it was an odd size (68) though.
    You win the Rambo Steals contest. That's awesome.
    - Harry Dresden

Check out The Hitching Post Tack Shop in Louisville http://www.hitchingposttack.com/ They always have great end-of-season blanket deals

ETA: I see that they no longer are carrying Rambos! Got great deals on other blankets though. Wise Choice in Lexington usually has good deals on Rambos FWIW.
    Last edited by FoxChaser; Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Oops!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Hitching Post sells a lot on ebay, and that's where I was going to suggest looking (ebay, not necessarily that vendor). I have searches saved that e-mail me when anything in my search list gets listed, so I can keep an eye out for deals. And I'm talking about new blankets, not used -- surprising how many tack shops sell on there now. EquusNow and Adams Horse Supply also had some Rambos on closeout last time I checked their websites, but don't know if they have any left, and the prices might not have been low enough to tempt you yet.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    Check out The Hitching Post Tack Shop in Louisville http://www.hitchingposttack.com/ They always have great end-of-season blanket deals

ETA: I see that they no longer are carrying Rambos! Got great deals on other blankets though. Wise Choice in Lexington usually has good deals on Rambos FWIW.
    isn't it still in Middletown? I remember when it was in the old post office in "downtown" Anchorage

When our girls were growing up showing hunters we keep the Hitching Post in business trading clothes in/buying used

I've found great deals at Adams at the end of the season. Don't remember Rambos, but definitely Amigo and Rhino. Worth checking out.

I got an email this week that HorseLoverz.com is having a flash sale on blankets (including Rambos) starting at 10 am on Sunday. Might be worth checking out.

I'd watch ebay, there's a couple dealers that sometimes offer them at very good prices, but you have to watch regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    The trusty old midweight Rhino is dying and needs replaced. I'm keeping an eye out on the usual tack shop suspects for end of season deals; it's still probably a hair early for the really deep discounts, if they're going to exist (and that's debatable...) but has anyone found any good prices at a specific retailer in the past?
    Lightning G in Dutchess CO NY is moving location and having a sale, they might be worth looking at?
    They also sell boatloads of saddles [usedsaddles.com I think?] and they might have deals on those pre-move as well.

I have 6 Rambos - all from clearance sales (i refuse to pay full price for any blanket and haven't in years). Found some at Smartpak and Dover a couple of years ago and my most recent one came from Hitching Post. I also picked up one at Equine Affaire for super cheap. Thankfully I have a Dover store near me so no shipping charge (otherwise would not have been worth it). Both Smartpak and Hitching Post shipped for free. You can usually find Rhinos and Amigos on clearance at a lot of places but I prefer the Rambos because of their waterproofing. Usually when I place my order supplies are very limited as they sell out fast!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Thanks for the suggestions! I have a few from Hitching Post bookmarked on ebay, and Adams is on my radar. I hadn't heard of some of the other places and didn't know about the horseloverz sale. Hopefully they'll have good deals!
    - Harry Dresden

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    isn't it still in Middletown? I remember when it was in the old post office in "downtown" Anchorage

When our girls were growing up showing hunters we keep the Hitching Post in business trading clothes in/buying used

Yes, in Middletown. "Near Louisville" would have been more accurate on my part

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    Yes, in Middletown. "Near Louisville" would have been more accurate on my part
    St Luke's Horse Show in Anchorage.... when did they stop that show? it was drawing hundreds of hunters for the one day show

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    St Luke's Horse Show in Anchorage.... when did they stop that show? it was drawing hundreds of hunters for the one day show
    No idea. I event

Go buy horse blankets NOW!!! HorseLoverz is having a flash blanket sale.

I just got a $130 Kodiak blanket for $40!

http://www.horseloverz.com/Heavyweig...t-Blanket.html