The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crochet gloves...show or no?

This is what happens when I can't sleep...I think of horse show stuff.

My favorite gloves are the SSG crochet-backed ones, like these:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/ssg-ly...ove-5272p.aspx

I finally burned through a pair after a year and a half, and am needing to order a few things from SP, including gloves. However, would they look ridiculous as show gloves? The sleeves are a tad longer than normal...they hit right at my wrist. I'm not a glove person as it is, and the only reason I like these is because they don't go past my wrist. But obviously a sliver of skin between a dark purple jacket and a black glove isn't ideal either.

I personally wouldn't wear them because they have leather palms, which are too slippery for my taste. But, otherwise, they're fine.

While they aren't my #1 choice of show gloves, I wore my crochet-backed gloves in all three phases last weekend at Full Gallop. In fact, I think they looked pretty spiffy for stadium with my tan hunt coat. Maybe the dressage judge was offended though, we had an abysmal score

I wouldn't show in those, personally. Black, simple gloves for me in all phases. I don't like to call attention to my hands and don't think the type of glove shown is suitable for "show apparel", personally. I'm sure there are rules governing colors of gloves that can be looked up, but since I always wear black ones (rarely a little green on XC if I can find my green ones), it's not relevant to me.
    Click here before you buy.

I use crochet gloves, in black, for all three phases. In the summer I am not donning full leather gloves in the 90 degree weather.

Never had issues, though I have the Heritage Pro-Flow Summer Show Gloves as well for dressage. They look like regular show gloves but they have a mesh back and air flow in the leather palm. I rather don't like the leather on them though. To flimsy and just not right. It never conformed to my hand, but they look nice so I suffer.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I wouldn't show in those, personally. Black, simple gloves for me in all phases. I don't like to call attention to my hands and don't think the type of glove shown is suitable for "show apparel", personally. I'm sure there are rules governing colors of gloves that can be looked up, but since I always wear black ones (rarely a little green on XC if I can find my green ones), it's not relevant to me.
    dw they are available at that link in black.

I would wear them in the black.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Perhaps this is the leftover hunter in me, but I wouldn't show in those either. I used to do black leather gloves for all three phases, but now I do black leather for dressage and these bad boys (in black) for stadium and cross-country:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ssg%c2%...at1s45bbbpi4ea

I had one terrible incident where my horse took off on cross-country and my leather gloves wouldn't allow me to grip the reins. We ended up running into the crowd, and thankfully my trainer was there to tell me to calm down and pretend that the embarrassment of the century didn't happen. After that, I refuse to wear leather gloves for jumping.

Have used this style of gloves for Dressage and SJ for decades. Had a really cool set of grey/silver gloves back in the 90's.
    Never had a problem maintaining control of the reins, but I used web or laced reins.
    Now use the Neumann tackified gloves for all phases in black. Maybe some day my hands will be quiet enough to wear white
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Those were previously my favorite gloves and I've used them in all three phases as well. IMNSHO, they look better on a day when coats are waived (as many times happens in the Deep South) than black does.

In fact, I would choose them over my now favorite gloves, which are black, if I were showing in short sleeves or a polo, when black gloves tend to look a little odd.
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

I love crochet back gloves, like the way they look... use them for my daily riding gloves - and will use them for show jumping.

That said - I agree, if your reins get really wet from a sweaty horse, or splashing through the water jump, they can get dangerously slick.

I wear Neumann Tackified gloves for XC. I happen to also have some leather black gloves that I use for dressage, but if I didn't, I would probably wear the black neumanns rather than the crochet backs (unless I was using a tweed coat - I do not have one, but would love to do dressage in Tweed and crochet gloves!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    Those were previously my favorite gloves and I've used them in all three phases as well. IMNSHO, they look better on a day when coats are waived (as many times happens in the Deep South) than black does.

In fact, I would choose them over my now favorite gloves, which are black, if I were showing in short sleeves or a polo, when black gloves tend to look a little odd.

I agree I school in the tan/natural ones. Might use the black ones with a coat but my natural ones get SO dirty.

I school in the tan/natural ones every day and wear them XC all the time. I don't like them with a black jacket for dressage (but would be ok with black ones).