The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My Lab/Golden cross loves to park himself between your legs and get his butt scratched. Or ideally, have you get his head with one hand and the hind end with the other. I just got him at 2 years old, but apparently he's done this all his life.

Default mine too!

My chihuahua puppy, Ruby Tuesday, will back up and sit on my foot, the other dogs (especially the Corgi because she is built like a sofa!) and will lean/sit there when she is nervous. It is so cute, but I try to encourage her to be happy and brave, so hope to see less and less of it. I do need to video her sitting on the Corgi though - it is so cute!

Years ago my old instructor had a Dobie/German Shephard cross who greeted all that he loved/liked the same way. He walked up, from the front or back, and put his head between your legs. Wasn't rude, as in sniffing, just wanted some affection and would put his head or body in a position for a pet/rub/scratch. Never appeared to be either submissive or dominate. Actually appeared to be just " I am happy to see you!"
    For the record he was the most level headed, level attitude dog I ever met. Only once did I hear a menacing bark from him (and it WAS MENACING) when a stranger came to the barn and the dog went into protection mode. However he stood down when told to do so.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

We have had 3 rotties and they all did it, so I just assumed it was a rottie thing.
    The one we have now didn't do it right away, but she does it now. Mainly to me, but sometimes to my husband and mother.

My lab does it because she wants her butt scritched. Silly girl.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I always assumed the sitting on feet was a way to prevent me from moving without them knowing. Most of my dogs, especially the corgis and my service dog, will sit or lay so that I can't move or leave without them knowing. Some sort of doggy alarm I figured.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Simon walks between legs and stands to have his butt scratched. He'll curl his head around to look at you as if to say, "ohhhh, that feels so good. Don't ever stop."
    It's sort of odd, but he really likes it if you squeeze him just a little between your legs, sort of like straddling a horse backwards. He is my sensitive worrywart of a dog, so I wonder if it's related to the principles of Temple Grandin and the same pressure theory that makes Thundershirts effective.