The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dog walking between legs and sitting on feet?

I have been meaning to ask this for a while. My Rottweiler Dozer (who is almost 11 years old) likes to push my legs apart and walk through them, sometimes he will stand there and sometimes he will just walk through and do it again. I am not the only person who he does this to, he does it to my mom, my dad, my boyfriend and basically anyone else. He also likes to sit right on me, on my feet if I am standing and will try to climb in the chair with me when I am sitting, again I am not the only one.

I was told it was a sign of submission? but have also heard other things. Any input? It's not an issue I am just curious!

• He has never shown aggression except for one time when some guys threatened me.
      He LOVES all animals, his best friend was a Mallard duck (who unfortunately died last fall)
      I have only heard him bark MAYBE 6 times in his life.
      He is a BIG baby!
    If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me.

It's a Dozer thing. If this is the worst thing he's done in 11 years, thank your lucky stars!

give that good boy a cookie for me!

HAHA I should have specified that it doesn't bother me. I think its cute but was just wanting to know maybe why he does it?

He has been an amazing dog. I don't know what I will do when he has to leave!
    If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me.

It could be dominance (pet me, pet me now, pay attention to me, allow me to sit on you)
    Or insecurity/anxiety (I'm worried, protect me, stay close, must be with you, the closer the better)

Depends a little bit on the facial expression/body language when he does it.

Maybe he doesn't like sitting on cold floor, so he sits on your feet. And they all think they're lap dogs, even the big boys.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

expressing affection? instead of only being able to rub against one leg, he goes between so he can rub both legs at once?
    and he sits on your feet because you're standing up so he can't crawl into your lap.

1 members found this post helpful.

My dog walks through our legs too, and will stand there so you can pat his butt, too. I think it's a little bit of a submission/comfort thing, and a lot of "hey, I'm getting a whole body pet!" I think by his age (almost 12) it's just a habit. When he was younger he would sometimes just hide his head between your legs and I think that was more when he needed comfort.

I have a friend that has Belgian Shephards (Groenendaels) and Tervurens. Many times I've seen his dogs walk between his legs and stand there, looking happy and quite pleased with themselves. It's hilarious. They also love to sit close, and I've had them sit on my feet when they are looking for a cuddle. He said both were quite common behaviors. He sees it as an "in your face" demo of doggy affection by a "super smart" breed. How can you ignore a dog between your legs, or on your feet? But they only do it for their own family, or someone they accept as part of the family.

My little West Virginia Mountain Mutt does the walk through legs things. Always has. I've never really thought about WHY she does it. Just who she is. She will stop and stand there sometimes, and sometimes she'll play games with you and run through your legs. She doesn't sit on feet, though. She rather sit on the couch.

I had a cat who would sit on my feet. Especially when I was having company/a party - he wanted to be with me but was a little insecure so he sat on my feet. This was one whose mother died when he was a few days old, I bottle raised him. I think he thought I was his mother.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I know a GSD that does this. it's part of his greeting to his friends....wags his tail, looks up at you, then RIGHT through the legs he goes. It's a sweet "hey, how ya doing I'm glad you're here!" sort of thing, from my experience.
    This guy will also sit on any part of you that he thinks he can. He just wants to be as close as possible!

My standard poodles do that. It usually happens when they are a bit excited and when they want me to pay attention to them NOW. I think a little bit of dominance plays into it too - I want MY human all to myself. On the slightly more disgusting side, I think they also enjoy getting up close and personal with my most intimate scents.

My friend has a mini pin/aussie mix and she sits on feet! They think that she does it because her but gets cold sitting on the ground....
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

This is also my weimaraner exactly. We got him at 5 months old and he's done it pretty much from the start. If you're standing up, he's GOING to walk between your legs and chill. He's a very touchy feely type and always wants to be close. He can't stand to be on the floor without at least a towel to sit on, and snuggles up with anything that will let him. We had another weimy foster and they were always intertwined, or he'd be hovering over him. I think it's a comfort thing. Weimy will also go up to your feet in the recliner and stand over them and absentmindedly try to set his hind legs on top of your feet. It's almost always when the beds and comfy spots are taken.
    When he does the leg walk through, sometimes he will stand with both front feet on top of mine, so we're making that a command so he'll keep his feet there while we start walking.
    We just attributed it to his overall weirdness
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

My dog will sit on my feet when he's scared or cold. That's ok with me, but he also has/had a bad habit of putting one paw on my foot - usually a back one - when we are standing around and my trainer said that is a BIG no no as that is a dominance thing! Sitting on feet ok - standing on foot no.

It's a needy rottweiler thing... my BIG rottie boy spends just about every idle minute "touching." Even does the between the legs thing... so I taught him squeeze/cluck means move forward and a whoa means stop... figure if he is there already might as well break him out... never know when one will need an extra leadline pony haha (jk of course...) Also is always sitting on my feet, and the second I sit on the floor he sits in my lap. Needy... very needy...

Had a chow/golden mix who was big on the "between the legs" thing, because he liked his back end rubbed. He would go halfway thru and stop. Wasn't a foot sitter, but man did he love the legs!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

My needy aussie did it, I see it as an affection stealing sort of please love me maneuver. Cute enough with a smaller dog but when you're only 5 feet tall with a 30" inseam it's only cute up to a point and then it's an unwanted pony ride! LOL

My late cat would lie down on my Moms feet, walk between her legs and plop down directly in her path. It was a security and Comforting thing. She only started it after the other cat died and she was on her own ( somewhat lonely).

My rottie did it, too. We called it her sneak attack. We had no choice but to give her attention immediately, and she'd just stand there and grin, while her whole back end wiggled.

I miss her. She was the sweetest dog.