The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Giving Sand Clear after Safeguard Power Pack ?

My older mare really lost weight, so I have done a few things including modifying her feeding program and deworming her with the Safeguard Power Pack starting 10 days ago. She was previously dewormed with Equimax, and I had never given her the Safeguard Power Pack before.

So, I know that some horses can have an adverse reaction around Day 14, which will be Tuesday, and I will be (and am) watching her carefully for that.

I would also like to give her a course of Sand Clear (Psyillium) , and I am wondering if I should wait until after "Day 14" - if so, how long should I wait? Or, if I should go ahead and start it now - maybe moving things along would be a good thing???

My vet will be coming out to check her over - he was just out to see her about 10 weeks ago. I am going to start her on Pentosan for her creaky hind end, and I will have him check her teeth again and give her a good going over.

I am trying to cover all of my bases without doing too many things at once and upsetting her system. She has heaves & anhidrosis, so summers are awful and winter is usually our best time. I am trying to get her at her healthiest and most comfortable before the heat hits us.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Default Older Mare

I have a 31 yr old mare. It has been a very hard winter with carousel temperatures and hard cutting winds. She too has lost some weight.

To your question, I usually worm and then wait 10 days, then start the Psyllium. JMHO and YMMV.

Good Luck and Happy Spring
    HRMT

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesRMyTherapy View Post
    I have a 31 yr old mare. It has been a very hard winter with carousel temperatures and hard cutting winds. She too has lost some weight.

To your question, I usually worm and then wait 10 days, then start the Psyllium. JMHO and YMMV.

Good Luck and Happy Spring
    Thanks for the tip! I see you are in Florida, and I am on the MS Gulf Coast; it's actually been a mild winter here with our very few coldest days just within the past month. But, we got hit by Hurricane Isaac in late August, and I swear EVERYTHING has been NQR w/ humans & animals around here ; ). I am just glad that she seems to be turning around w/ the management changes - she gave me a scare, but she is feeling great - racing my fat & lazy air fern gelding several days in a row.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing