The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My 3 year old is going through his terrible two's.

I've had a lot of experience working with young horses. I have the absolutely most perfect horse. I started him when he was barely 3. He's been huge and growing for the past year so he hasn't done a whole lot, but every time I have ridden him he has been so easy. Then...a few weeks ago he started being an absolute terror. He's 17.1 now and when I ask him to go forward he throws a fit and backs up. When I whip him or kick him forward he threatens to rear, finds the nearest object to try and scrape you off on etc. I'm a strong rider. Its been so long since I haven't been able to just get aggressive with one and get him to go forward, but I'm at a bit of a loss. Does anyone have any tricks with barn sour. I lunge him before I ride him anyways....and he can be an angel on the line and the devil under tack.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatBrokeEventer View Post
    I've had a lot of experience working with young horses.... When I whip him or kick him forward he threatens to rear, finds the nearest object to try and scrape you off on etc.
    Try another way of asking.

Bending breaks resistance. It's gentle and builds trust vs fight.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

3 members found this post helpful.

Sorry your going through this. They can turn in to real PIAs around this age, even though I tend to think of the 'tude as more of a 4 yr old thing.

Do you have any experience round penning or doing join up? I have seen it work well for these issues, including the herdbound/ barn sour stuff too.

ETA: I don't mean parelli/ Anderson style, just good ole fashioned round penning and join up.

A sudden change from "easy" to "PITA" even in a green young horse is reason enough for me to take one in for a basic soundness evaluation.

4 members found this post helpful.

Would he do well trail riding with an old packer as the leader?

1 members found this post helpful.

My first thought was saddle fit. Especially if he's growing.

I knew someone who made the mistake of accidentally putting a poorly fitting saddle on her (until then agreeable) young mare, who responded by bucking mightily. Then, having figured out that she could get out of working that way, proceeded to make a habit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    A sudden change from "easy" to "PITA" even in a green young horse is reason enough for me to take one in for a basic soundness evaluation.
    Yeah, me too. Saddle fit, body soreness, or real, actual lameness issue.

How much work has he had? He is still a youngster...perhaps it's just too much, too soon?

I also have a three year old (March foal) and I don't even plan on sitting on her until early fall. My goal this year is 30 days under saddle, as much out of the arena as possible, and then back out to sit in a field until next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatBrokeEventer View Post
    but every time I have ridden him he has been so easy. Then...a few weeks ago he started being an absolute terror. He's 17.1 now and when I ask him to go forward he throws a fit and backs up. When I whip him or kick him forward he threatens to rear, finds the nearest object to try and scrape you off on etc.

I lunge him before I ride him anyways....and he can be an angel on the line and the devil under tack.
    I'd be looking for pain - hopefully it's just a saddle fit issue.