The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you were filling the net on your own- was the BO aware? Were you paying extra for hay? Hay is expensive. I understand you thought she needed it, did the contract specify anything? I had a boarder who went through hay like crazy. She felt her horses need edit, so I charged her extra...as stipulatedin my contract. Extra bedding- same thing. There was ample bedding , she wanted more- no problem . But she paid more than the boarder who was not provided the extras and was charged accordingly. And didnt bitch about it or badmoutb me. i had one who did- i gave her 30 days notice, standard, in my contract and out if courtesy.

Blessedly she left early and i refunded her unused board(though i did not have to). I was glad to have her gone. Barn owners try to price reasonably, for the most part, but they can't loose $ if Poopsie requires more than is figured into the set board price.

If I read correctly, you left without proper notice? No comment on that one. And you can't go just off what a former employee says. It may be true- or not. They may be deflecting from an obvious disgruntled past border because they don't want to get bitched at/to.
    Hopefully you are in a situation that better satisfies your requirements.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    If someone is very unhappy at barn after barn after barn, one must consider what the common denominator is. Are your standards impossibly high? Can you re-prioritize what you think is a "must" vs. what is a "nice to have" vs. what is "optional"? Paying for tack cleaning seems like a waste of money to me, and certain to please nobody. Why bother, if all it does is add to the list of "things to be unhappy about"?
    But if you're PAYING for extra hay and extra bedding, I'd at least assume I'd be getting that. And having the barn workers remove the extra stuff after OP leaves seems crazy to me.

Sorry you're having a rough time finding a place, OP. Perhaps you can find just some person with a shed and pasture, that you can do the self-care thing at? I'm doing self-care now for the first time and I love it.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

1 members found this post helpful.

But if you're PAYING for extra hay and extra bedding, I'd at least assume I'd be getting that. And having the barn workers remove the extra stuff after OP leaves seems crazy to me.
    This is hearsay, from what I can gather. Third-hand information. Doesn't make it even remotely kosher, of course, if it was truly the entire story and there is no "rest of the story". Miscommunication is a two-way street.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    so when I first talked to the BO I asked him to give me a price on what he though was fair so she could have ad lib hay and a nice shavings bed.

I made sure I had a contract stipulating limitless hay and bedding (and payed a good extra for it)
    Pennywell, here in quotes. Yes, she was paying extra for those services. I believe she has every right to be infuriated. The BM gave her a price for which she would receive unlimited shavings and hay, and then did not follow through with the services.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    This is hearsay, from what I can gather. Third-hand information. Doesn't make it even remotely kosher, of course, if it was truly the entire story and there is no "rest of the story". Miscommunication is a two-way street.
    It sounds like OP had a contract including ad lib hay and bedding.

deltawave, are you saying you DON'T believe everything you read on the internet???
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

No question, the OP should have gotten what she contractually bargained and paid for. However, it appears that the "fact" that the hay was being removed from the horse's stall after being put there (by the OP? maybe that was not in the contract?) appears to be a third-hand comment from a former employee, who may have left under less-than-happy circumstances.

I happened to run into one of her old grooms, who is now working for my old trainer
    Former employees whose employment was terminated in a manner that one or the other party feels was "unfair" do not have limitless credibility when it comes to being genuine about the former employer, and vice versa.
    Click here before you buy.

Since you have had issues at several barns, perhaps you could change your "approach" in the way that you negotiate for the extras, and have a realistic expectation of what that will cost you.
    When I first talked to my previous BO I couldn't have been more explicit - I asked him what the standard of care was (what I should expect in terms of feeding, hay, horse cleaning, tack cleaning,...) and I told him what I wanted (unlimited hay, good bedding). He gave me a price for what he thought was fair, which I paid month after month. The horse, however, wasn't being given any extra bedding or hay, so I was basically paying for an extra I wasn't receiving.I know hay is expensive, and thats why I was paying extra - standard at that time was 4 slices per day, I was paying the equivalent of a full bale (which has roughly 30kg, which is impossible for a horse to eat in a single day). I do know its a lot of work, and that's why I asked him what he would charge me on top of the basic fee so everything would go nicely. If he, at some point, decided he was charging too little, he should've come to me and asked me to pay more. He doesn't get to make the decision of not providing a service I am paying for without even a chat! Specially when its detrimental to my horses health (the 600€ of Abgard I've already spent on this 2nd treatment are his complete fault for leaving my mare without hay for hours on end, yet they are coming out of my pocket).

It strikes me as interesting that you feel you are being "overcharged" every month by your current BO, but out of the other side of your mouth is the desire for an upper level standard of care. Unfortunately, good care is not cheap, and I realize that bad care can also be expensive, but from a BO's view, don't ask for extras then complain about the cost.
    My current BO has many good qualities, one of which is she is very organized in terms of accounting, so when the invoice comes every month everything is specified. The issue is the information lost (or added) between the grooms who actually feed the horse and the BO who charges me. I pay everything separate (there is a fee for box rental and grooming services, another fee for tack cleaning and then feed and bedding is added to that, which I don't mind, as long as I am being charged for what she actually is using).

This month, the invoice said my mare ate 240kg of Alfa A. Tell me how that would be possible if she only has 6 stubbs scoops a day, and each scoop has about 400g.

I took it to the BO, she confirmed how many bags had been open and saw I was right. I just wish this conversation didn't have to occur every single month (first two months was the hay, they charged me for 660kg each month which is a ridiculous amount - first month I let it slide and asked for the hay to be fed in a hay net instead so I could have better control; second month the bill came with the same amount and I took it to the BO and again, she saw I was right).

it appears that the "fact" that the hay was being removed from the horse's stall after being put there (by the OP? maybe that was not in the contract?) appears to be a third-hand comment from a former employee, who may have left under less-than-happy circumstances.
    The contract stipulated the horse would have hay at all times. If I get there and she doesn't have hay, do I have to ask for permission to use something I am paying for? Yes, I shouldn've touched the hay, but not because I couldn't, but because it should've been done in the first place, since I was on full board!ยด

Finally - it can all be heresay, sure, but I bet its true. Otherwise my horse wouldn't have improved so much on condition once taken out of there! The feed remained the same, exercise didn't change, nothing. Other than hay, I can't think of anything else. Plus, I saw the shavings disappearing every single day

OP, have you looked at your FB page lately? Like in the last 9 months? Just curious

OP, have you looked at your FB page lately? Like in the last 9 months? Just curious
    Didn't quite understand what you meant with that...

I think she just means, have you looked at your FB page? In the last nine months? I went and looked, and there doesn't seem to be any activity since June 2012, which would be...nine months. That's my guess as to why she asked.

Are you still selling Lusitanos?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by florida foxhunter View Post
    I don't know many true boarding facilities that throw night hay..........usually they feed early to be "finished" by 5.
    My farm has a few boarders, but it's really my personal farm..........and I go out every night at 10 to throw more hay...but I'm the ony one I know of in my area (and I'm full, so this is not a solicitation). How may boarding barns have someone do a late night check?
    I always feel for the horses who are in without hay for so many hours!
    My barn does... the husband goes to work late afternoon and does night check (water/hay) when he gets home at midnight. If he is going to be really late, the wife does the check around 10 pm.

Are you still selling Lusitanos?
    Oh I didn't even consider you were talking about the business page, went directly to my personal one to see if there was something *wrong* with it! :P

Yes, still selling Lusitanos, just haven't updated it lately (for the last 9 months I guess) as most clients call me or email me and then I find something suitable for their specific needs. Its usually is better this way as some breeders prefer not to have their horses posted online, and those breeders usually have horses which are very well priced and working on a more advanced level then the ones I am allowed to post.