The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just had to share my anger!

GRRRR I'm so mad!

So I took my horse from the previous boarding facility as things were NOT going well. My mare has lots of issues with ulcers and is a big horse, so when I first talked to the BO I asked him to give me a price on what he though was fair so she could have ad lib hay and a nice shavings bed.

For the whole time I was there I constantly reminded the staff and BO she had to have hay available at ALL times, and that her bedding was too low. They would promptly throw a good old nice excuse like "oh your mare just eats it all too fast" or "oh we just took the droppings of and were about to put more shavings in". I tried to handle it as best I could, going there more than once a day to make sure she was fine and put more bedding/hay in.

I didn't have any other alternatives lined up at the moment so I just tried to make the best of it. Finally I managed to find another place and took her off of there the next day. I know its not too nice, but neither was all the excuses and bad management that was going on.

Now the part that really infuriates me!
    I went to the riding center a few weeks ago to talk with my old trainer (with whom I have no issues whatsoever). I happened to run into one of her old grooms, who is now working for my old trainer (big facility with lots of private yards) and he told me a few things I wasn't happy to know... one of which was the grooms were instructed to remove the extra bedding and hay I was putting out! I made sure I had a contract stipulating limitless hay and bedding (and payed a good extra for it) only to go out there on purpose, do something which isn't my job (full livery!) and then once I turned my back, have it all removed!

No wonder she kept loosing weight... and no wonder she developed grade 4 ulcers only 6 months after being first diagnosed and treated! Oh, and those nice wounds on her hocks the groom swore to me happened when she layed against the wall? Yep, due to the lack of bedding. Seriously, I just feel like sueing the man. If I had any proof, I'd be straight to my lawyer.

Oh, and imagine my surprise when I see an add on facebook stating they offer ad lib hay to all horses as a standard service!

Ok, now I feel slightly better...

1 members found this post helpful.

I hope you are treated more honestly in future.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh wow, that's horrible. I've been in a similar situation, BO feeding my horse beat pulp when I said she couldn't have any at all, feed her way too much hay, she was so fat. I left that barn pretty quickly. Good luck, especially sucks when you're not getting what you're paying for

Thats sad. Hope your new place is more honest.

The place I'm at now has its own challenges (pretty much every month I have to have a chat with the BO as I am being over charged on one thing or another).

I can handle a lot of crap, and am usually used to it. I will take it, as long as I know my horse is well.

Seriously, its amazing how hard it is to find a place with good facilities and staff who actually knows what they're doing...

Sorry your having such trouble. Everyplace has something bad about it if you ever find one that doesnt please post it here because I would love to go there, place Im at now has very good care but theres stuff you wouldnt like about it (not feed or bedding).
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Oh no! This is terrible, after all you have been through with her ulcers! No wonder why they came back, and she got skinny!

How frustrating! It is hard to find a good place. I feel pretty lucky now, especially since one of my horses (who's 28 btw LOL) is super hard to handle and is a wicked picky eater. And they care deeply about him. Thank god!

Well hope the new place works out for your girl

Thanks for your words of encouragement guys, it really helps calm me down!

I can seriously say I can't wait for the day I have the facilities to have my horses home... I know its a lot of work, but at least I would have some peace of mind!

The truth is I've been doing this long enough to know people tend to cut corners, and I'm getting pretty sick of it. Is it so hard to do a service you're being paid to do?

I was brought up by my mom who's a doctor (and has her own practice), so I've been taught if you don't work, you don't get paid. If we did the same to BO's and horse people in general, I'm pretty sure things would run smooth as butter.

I certainly feel your pain. Boarding is always full of compromises, and often you don't know what you're getting into until you're hip deep. And the more you want, the more it seems you have to concede.

We're happy now at a pretty basic family operation, but still looking forward to property and bringing the ponies home. No one takes care of your horses like you would!

That's truly awful! I'd be mad too! Geez!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

I don't know many true boarding facilities that throw night hay..........usually they feed early to be "finished" by 5.
    My farm has a few boarders, but it's really my personal farm..........and I go out every night at 10 to throw more hay...but I'm the ony one I know of in my area (and I'm full, so this is not a solicitation). How may boarding barns have someone do a late night check?
    I always feel for the horses who are in without hay for so many hours!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Dang! I hate that kind of crap. Simkie is right: No one takes care of your horses like you do, so mine are at home.

They owe you a refund.

I finally got into a barn where you get what you pay for, the facility is fantastic, the staff know what they're doing, and it's run like a business (which I think works great). I've been there for almost a year and hope I never have to leave. I've been to so many barns and have been so frustrated over the years, it's such a breath of fresh air to be at this barn! I hope everyone can find a barn that suits their needs, there are so many crappy facilities and owners out there.

I don't know many true boarding facilities that throw night hay..........
    This wasn't the issue at that particular situation as I would go in on purpose to refill the hay net (only to have it emptied by the staff on BO's order...)

I finally got into a barn where you get what you pay for, the facility is fantastic, the staff know what they're doing, and it's run like a business
    Oh how I wish I could find something like that! The place I'm at now really takes good care of my horse (she almost instantly gained weight, stopped being so rude to people,...). But I would be lieing if I said there aren't a few issues - billing comes out wrong every single month (overcharged on something like feed or hay), there is a clear preference for come of the boarders (I pay extra for tack cleaning and turnout when I know some people have this all for free), and a few more things that bug me but aren't deal breakers. Actually I's pretty sure the billing situation is whats going to put me off this place some day.

I totally get you. Im so frustrated with the barns in my area. Im in the boonies and things are down backwards around here (when are nails sticking out of fence posts ever OK???) and the crappy thing is that my husband is committed to being in this area for another 3 YEARS. 3 years seems so long. I have already said that the field and the shelter shed are coming first before we ever break ground on a house!

Quote Originally Posted by florida foxhunter View Post
    I don't know many true boarding facilities that throw night hay..........usually they feed early to be "finished" by 5.
    My farm has a few boarders, but it's really my personal farm..........and I go out every night at 10 to throw more hay...but I'm the ony one I know of in my area (and I'm full, so this is not a solicitation). How may boarding barns have someone do a late night check?
    I always feel for the horses who are in without hay for so many hours!
    Mine does! One of the many reasons why I love it there!

These threads remind me of why I love having my horses at home. Some days are challenges, vacations are few and far between, but the peace of mind is a blessing!

4 members found this post helpful.

I think most barns end up cutting corners at some point or another.

Mine did that this winter - didn't split up the horses at feed time so the
    pony was getting fat as a tick and my easy-keeper mare got ribby. Plus
    the pony was getting my mare's $100/worth of smartpaks, if they were
    even being given, which didn't happen half the time.

I don't need a barn with a lot of amenities, but I do expect my horse to be
    at a minimum feed properly, with decent enough quality and quantities of
    hay and safe turnout (ie, no nails sticking out or hanging electric wire).

My mare is an easy keeper, but not an air fern and can't have a lot of grass
    because she is founder-prone. She can go out with a muzzle during grass
    season, but is it too much to ask to TAKE it off for 15 minutes so she
    can eat her feed ???

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    The place I'm at now has its own challenges (pretty much every month I have to have a chat with the BO as I am being over charged on one thing or another).

I can handle a lot of crap, and am usually used to it. I will take it, as long as I know my horse is well.

Seriously, its amazing how hard it is to find a place with good facilities and staff who actually knows what they're doing...
    Hope you find a more suitable situation soon.

Since you have had issues at several barns, perhaps you could change your "approach" in the way that you negotiate for the extras, and have a realistic expectation of what that will cost you.

As a BO, I am willing to provide as much hay as a horse will eat-I do a night check and re-hay-heavily at that time.If a boarder wants to provide more hay, that is totally up to them, and no one in my barn is doing that now, as all the horses are in good order. BUT....I can tell you that if an owners desire to feed increased amounts of hay results in more labor time to clean the stall...ie, the horse doesnt eat it and mixes it around, ruining the bedding in the stall....then I do expect to be able to charge more for the mess....again, this is not happening in my barn, but as a BO I would expect a boarder to pay.

And I actually have 2 boarders on different bedding (bagged shavings, very deep and up the walls-as opposed to pelleted bedding for the others)BUT those 2 boarders pay an additional premium for the extra product as well as the additional labor to maintain it.

It strikes me as interesting that you feel you are being "overcharged" every month by your current BO, but out of the other side of your mouth is the desire for an upper level standard of care. Unfortunately, good care is not cheap, and I realize that bad care can also be expensive, but from a BO's view, don't ask for extras then complain about the cost.

Good luck
    West of nowhere

4 members found this post helpful.

If someone is very unhappy at barn after barn after barn, one must consider what the common denominator is. Are your standards impossibly high? Can you re-prioritize what you think is a "must" vs. what is a "nice to have" vs. what is "optional"? Paying for tack cleaning seems like a waste of money to me, and certain to please nobody. Why bother, if all it does is add to the list of "things to be unhappy about"?
    Click here before you buy.

5 members found this post helpful.