The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink Are Pikeur Breeches Really Worth It?

I've found a few good deals on Pikeur breeches over the last little while.. I have friends that swear by them. I do have a couple pairs of TS... Which ran about $180, and thats normally my price limit for breeches! But.. I figured I might as well go ahead and splurge.

My mom is a dressage rider, and she absolutely loves hers. But what about the H/J riders out there? Do you like them?

ALSO! Do you find they fit small or large?
    Watermark aka "Cleo" - 5 year old Warmblood cross
    Foxtrot aka "Raven" - 5 year old Hanoverian
    Simon Says aka "Sprout" - 4 year old Welsh pony
    Canadian Eh

If you buy from Amira, they end up being about the same price as the TS. I think they run a tiny bit bigger than TS, but not much. (I have one Ciara and one Trophy Hunter)

2 members found this post helpful.

I also think they run just slightly bigger than TS (at least in the waist/thigh for me) and I think they end up being a slightly more from Amira and you *may* have to wait quite some time depending on whether they have the color/style in stock or must ship. My last pair took almost 4 months to arrive. I haven't really personally found them to be better quality - really the same.

Now I will say - TS doesn't really make a full seat in any fun colors or anything, so if you want that and the TS type fit in a full seat - then Pikeur are the way to go as the fit (for me the Pikeur Cindy fit = TS Trophy Hunter) will be very similar. But for knee patch breeches, I'm not really feeling like it's worth the effort.

Yes they are! :-)
    I splurged on a pair a few years back and can't ride in anything else now.

I get mine from a german site, calevo.com They end up about $165 plus shipping. If you get together with some friends and place an order for €200 - €1000 you get 5-12% off which of course helps knock the price down a bit more. The $300 they cost at us stores is a total rip-off!
    Timothy, stop lurking

3 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I love my Pikeurs... they are my very favorite breeches and the cut really fits me well. I do tend to buy them from the European suppliers to get a better price, and have never had a problem or a delay.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I love my Pikeur breeches although I admit I wasn't able to get used to the new low rise style and went back to my older, regular rise cut. The fabric is wonderful, and I consider them well worth the money. They do run long though, my only complaint is that my "regular" length breeches reach the top of my feet!

Absolutely YES.

I have 3 pairs that I school all week in, and they are wearing like iron. Other brands have worn out and needed replacing, but my Pikeur Ciaras are still going strong after over three years. Cute colors, too.

Breeches are like shoes - buy quality and they will last forever; it is cheaper over time to spend more up front!

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes. Like TiaRosa said, they wear like iron. Super comfortable, wash up like a dream and are just amazing. They do have a slightly more forgiving cut (for me) than TS - the Cindys fit me like a dream.

If you buy from Amira who can order whatever color combination you wish - but be forewarned that the custom colours can take 2 to 3 months to arrive. If they have them in stock they can get to Canada in 2 to 3 weeks.

Yes for me too.

I have a few pairs and they're the ones that I prefer.
    Jeans, corduroy and their new light fabric are to die for!

There is a tack shop nearby that puts them on sale (2 for the price of one!) so they come around 150$ each!

Yes and no, depends on the person. Yes for me. I order mine from www.amirashop.co.uk
    They are $165, better than 300. If your looking for a cheap pair, go to their.

1 members found this post helpful.

I wear a 28 in TS and a 30 (42) in Pikeur. Both fit well, but I've found that the Pikeur's sag in the crotch over time, so I'm not buying them any more.

If you do want them, Amira Equi is the place to go...even with shipping, it's cheaper than buying them at retail in the US.

If you want show breeches for H/J, "Safari" is the color in Pikeur.

Yes! I found a used(but barely) pair at Equine Exchange for $50.00. I snatched them up. I love them! Now I'd pay the price for them.....knowing how much I love them, and how they've held up, being my favorite pair.
    Davey Farm Sport Horses
    Hamburg, PA
    www.daveyfarm.com

Yesterday I tried on a pair of Cavallo's, didn't like them near as much as my Pikeurs.
    Davey Farm Sport Horses
    Hamburg, PA
    www.daveyfarm.com

They are total worth the money..I buy mine in the US though...I rather pay the extra money so if I have a problem with them the tack store will exchange them for another pair.

Is there a midrise version of the Ciaras? My TS midrise hit me at just the right place, but the lowrise had me constantly pulling them up. How does the material compare to the Trophy Hunters? I like my TS for showing, but the material seems a bit thin for everyday wear.

I'm dying to get some new breeches - my Ovation Slim Secrets just split down the back seam, and my Riding Sport Competitor breeches from Dover that wear like iron have the sweat funk in them that I just can't get rid of. I just need to have a good idea what I'm getting into before I order them from Amira, since returns are almost impossible.

Default Pikeur Breeches

Hey guys,

I've only just noticed this post, I usually get my breeches from http://www.seriouslyequestrian.com. They are a UK based company who do cheap delivery to the US. They have some great deals on Pikeur Breeches, my favourite type.

Hope this helps.

Yes. By a long shot they are worth it. I have a pair of fullseats that I adore and school at home in all the time. The material and the cut of the fabric is really, really flattering as well as practical.