The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pricing Questions for a Novice Horse

Looking for any ideas on what would be the appropriate price range for a friend who needs to sell her novice horse.

He's a a small (15h) 7 year old who is doing novice, but not at rated shows. He's more of a super lazy youth or beginner horse. He could also be a dressage or hunter type horse, if someone wanted to. And he can pack a beginner around the intro levels. A beginner can get on a jump over anything on him, loose reins and whatever. I don't really think he could go much higher in eventing, since his natural tendency is to be a kickalong. He usually wins in dressage.

He's just a great minded all around type horse who happens to do well at the lower levels of eventing because thats what his rider does.

So what do you think?

Depending on your location, I'd say 5-10k for a young, kid-proof novice packer, although it would help if he did some recognized stuff so people could look up a record. If he's stylish enough to do hunters and can pack around 2'6 - 3' then maybe more.

Where is the horse located? What does he look like? How many Novice events has he done? An attractive, well mannered horse with a good competition record in an area of the country with a lot of events is quite marketable. He will fetch more money than an unattractive cribber who did one unrecognized Novice at an event that no one has heard of.

"So what do you think?"

I think I'd like him for myself.

1 members found this post helpful.