The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pony in KY and QH in TN need homes! Link for Pics

I have been contacted to help place two equines in need. Please PM me for more information with email address and I can provide pictures, not tallented enough to do it here. I will copy and paste the information I was given below as I don't have much time today. Please excuse any typo's, etc. I have not seen either in person, only recieved the below info via email. Thank you!

QH-Skip
    Skip is a gorgeous 12 year old registered Quarter Horse 15.2 hands, no vices and a wonderful personality. He loved to be ridden and or lead line with the kids, loads, clips, ties, bathes, stands for farrier and vet and just an overall amazing horse. Very sweet and loves attention. The kids here adore him and he has been a true asset to our equine program (Equine Facilitated Learning at Currey Ingram Academy).

Unfortunately, Skip has inflammation in his pastern and he is lame on his front right. At this time, he would be good as a companion horse only. Anyone interested in adopting Skip can contact me director (pm for contact). He is located in Brentwood, TN.

Pony-Abby-ivory champagne?
    My parent's neighbor, who is 80+ years old, had a pony left on her property. Mrs. Neighbor has been taking care of the pony for three years but it's becoming a health/safety risk for her; she's fallen a few times lately, etc.
    The pony is sweet; a bit spoiled by all the carrots she's getting :-); cute as a button and seems to have been ridden/handled in her former life however she's nearly 100% blind. I would guess the blindness has come from infection or something since from time to time they get runny/bloody. I'm no expert at aging horses but my guess is about 10 years old...maybe 11 hands.
    Mom and Mrs. Neighbor are both a little attached to pony and want to forego the idea of putting her down until all other options are exhausted. I promised I would research alternatives and reach out to my rescue contacts for ideas. Their perfect solution is she become a therapy pony for at a special needs camp or someplace similar so she to would have a purpose since being blind is not a disability for most horses.
    Abby takes some time to build some trust but is bought pretty easy with a carrot. We have put the kids (ages 5-10) on her and led them around and she's had no issues. She's easy to pick up feet but I don't think they've had her trimmed to know how she stands for the farrier. I'd imagine she'd be fine. Mom flushes her eyes occasionally which Abby doesn't like and it seems painful. I would guess a full tear duct flush by a vet might help unfortunately limited financial resources make that a luxury.

I board so it's not feasible for me to take her and neither of these ladies have the health to continue to care for her. The pony is located in Western Ky but I'm willing to transport her to a new home (I am sure there is a distance limitation on this however). Pictures taken 1-23-13 upon request.
    Last edited by equislover; Mar. 29, 2013 at 08:35 AM.
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

Bumping this up in hopes of getting some interest

Default bump

Bump for these guys

aw pony looks cute

You might want to contact Rainhill Equine Rescue in Bowling Green (http://www.rainhillrescue.com/) I believe most of the horses there are blind.

I haven't been there, but have heard only very good things about Rainhill (I'd be happy to offer suggestions of people to talk to who know the rescue well). I know she has quite a crew over there, but might be worth contacting!

Thank you so much for the recommendation, I will certainly forward this on. I do hope the little girl can find a home.

I hope they find someone to relieve the pain that the pony is in. That's heart breaking.

Checked with Rain Hill Rescue, they are at maximum capasity as is the story for most rescues. I am afraid euthanasia may be the kindest option as this is certainly a pony with special needs.

Sent you a pm with one more idea for placing the pony!

1 members found this post helpful.

Just wanted to update on these two. The QH will be euthanized today as he took a turn for the worse yesterday. The pony still needs to be placed if possible, have not been able to find a home yet. Thank you

I'm sorry for that, but afraid that would be the kindest thing for a pony with that condition. I'm assuming it's uveitis, and it's terribly painful.

I must agree with you and have recommended it as well. I imagine it will be in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by equislover View Post
    I must agree with you and have recommended it as well. I imagine it will be in the near future.
    I had an ancient mini mule's eye removed this time last year due to uveitis. I'm in southern OH. I'll be willing to help. Eyes may have to be removed but we have a fabulous equine eye doctor in this area.

So sorry about the QH. Maybe we can give the pony a soft place to land.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

.....what an amazing offer.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    .....what an amazing offer.
    I always remember Phoebe in these situations. That little pony really changed things for me over the years. <3 I should thank you.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaundry View Post
    I always remember Phoebe in these situations. That little pony really changed things for me over the years. <3 I should thank you.
    Wow! You are so kind! Phoebe changed me too - it does my heart good to know that she's touched someone else. *sniff*

Phoebe was with you when I was trying to save a little mini maybe 9-10 years ago. You just got her I believe - we "internet met" on Chance's Mini Forum and I followed her story from start to finish.

Anyhoo, I have a soft spot for the ones who need a little extra somethin' and for some reason this one has touched me even though I rarely come here anymore. It might be the older ladies going out of their way to care for her that made me offer my farm. If a landing is still needed we'll bring her here and see what the vets say. Mr. Mini Mule did wonderful immediately after his eye removal. He had been blind in that eye for years, is Cushings, and near 30 when I got him. He's now 33+ and after his uveitis attack last year (his first since I've had him) and fighting with eye medication my vet found me Dr. Haessler and we just removed the eye altogether. Amazingly fast recovery and zero issues. Maybe the same will be for Abby.

Ponies are cool!

Sorry I am slow to responding, was out of town over the weekend. I am so thrilled we have a potential home for this little lady! I just can't thank you enough! I will pm owners' contact info, please please keep me posted!

Abby has a vet appt. today to get her health certificate & coggins pulled. I'll be anxiously awaiting her arrival in the next week or so hopefully. The ladies who have been caring for her are very, very kind.

I did tell Mr. EL that this one didn't poop or eat....so he readily agreed.

Ponies are cool!