The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

To take this even farther OT , I am wondering about the footing in the indoor when I took lessons as a kid up here in ON. It was dark, and extremely fragrant, and I have only ever seen / smelled it one other time since then. Was that tanbark?
    Thanks!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    To be quite honest - these days very little hog fuel is used in arenas - most people go for sand, or commercial mixes, or expensive 'footing'....the hog fuel would get punched through too soon and there would be soupy patches.
    But it is discontinued because of other factors, not because horses died!

Now, that's all settled, what else can we discuss until OP gets back?
    One more minute on hog fuel.

I'm ignorant, but it seems to me that the stuff is useless for the intended purpose.... for more than a minute. A virgin carpet of the stuff looks great over the surface of a paddock. But if it gets punched through or the horse poops/pees, you just have a soggy mess. And it's organic, so I'd think it would add "skank" to any rocked layer you had underneath.

But it looks great for an indoor ring!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Hog fuel was used a lot in outdoor rings and paddocks around here in the past, but people are getting a little smarter about mud control and going for more durable materials, such as sand and rock. It costs more initially, but in the long run is better $ wise. With hog fuel and such wood products, it was okay for a time, then would go bad (break down, become muck, etc.), and the only solution is to pull it out and replace. I don't know anyone that has put in mud free paddocks or an outdoor arena in the past few years that has used wood footing. My own paddocks are rock (and plastic hoof grid stabilization underneath) and arena is sand/rubber/fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    As long as this thread has gone SO far afield, what about these cedar-based fly repellents? I used Cedarcide last summer and had no trouble. The stuff smells very cedar-y.

OP, how's it going?
    No new trouble, so good.

I attended an educational seminar put on by my vet's office last night, and asked one vet from my practice and a vet that taught her about the shavings. Both told me they knew of no ill effects and the older vet even told me I should tell that "boarder" that she is nuts! LOL! Both vets made sure I knew about black walnut, which of course I do.

2 members found this post helpful.

Default sawdust and used motor oil

Was the arena footing of choice when I was a child. Very little dust, all the horses feet were in great shape.

The downside? It smelled a little when they applied new oil. And no white socks, equine or human, were clean very long.

Oddly enough, we own a car lot and pay someone to haul ours away. If I thought the EPA wouldn't throw a fit, I'd make mine like that too. You almost never had to water it.

Yep, I remember that, too! When Arnold needed to "oil the arena", we kids took turns running the spray gun.

Stank, but no dust!

We'll probably all die of something horrible...

1 members found this post helpful.

They used to oil the roads, too, to lay the dust.

One reason for not using the hog fuel for arenas, paddocks, trails, etc. any more is also that the run-off is toxic and, of course, every drop of rain that falls ends up draining eventually into a tributary and, somewhere, into a fish-bearing stream.

The Highway #1 was build on a base of hogfuel 50-60 years ago.

My what we do to our planet!

The gravel based areas are lasting a lot longer and are less work.

This has gone SOOO off-topic.

Hang in there OP - !
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

In some states, like mine (GA), verbally yelling at someone, up close and personal, is simple assault, a misdemeanor (up to 12 months in jail). Even just touching someone while yelling at him is simple battery, also a misdemeanor. Slapping is simple battery. Hitting with a fist or other object escalates to aggravated assault, a felony (1 to 20 yrs in prison). And threatening someone can be "terroristic threats" which is a 1-10 yr felony. Most of this depends on whether or not the victim feels threatened.

Lucky for most of us in the southland, we can get our cops to come out to witness someone being given a criminal trespass notice. And to help us remove horses from abusive BO's as well. So our cops will come and take a written report for either boarder or BO, and will stand there and prevent assault or battery.

I never heard of hog fuel before! We get all our shavings from lumberyards which deal in pine trees and some oak trees. This state is one big pine thicket, including the city of Atlanta itself. While the furniture builders in Savannah do pay a cousin of mine to remove their shavings, I've never gotten any from him because he cannot guarantee that no walnut shavings are included.

More on OT materials.

How is hog fuel toxic? It's just hairy tree bark, right?

And does anyone paint fences with used motor oil any more? I NY farmer friend of mine did this. The fences were protected from water, horse teeth (for the most part) and looked nice.

Oh, and I'm old enough to remember putting creosote on good chewin' wood.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I can remember people putting creosote on fence posts. Then when you accidentally touch that stuff, it's hard to get it off of your hands....or clothes. It did preserve the wooden posts though.

So OP is at 11 days and counting before the boarder will be out of there?

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I can remember people putting creosote on fence posts. Then when you accidentally touch that stuff, it's hard to get it off of your hands....or clothes. It did preserve the wooden posts though.
    Painting the fences with creosote was one of the summer jobs at the barn that some of the lesson kids could do for extra lesson time.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    If you REALLY want someone gone, refund the full month.
    That is what i would do. Pay her to leave. Be worth it to me.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Hog fuel is toxic because the rain run off leaches out toxic cedar oil. From a
    neighbourhood with lots of arenas tracks, etc., there is a lot of run-ff. Not seen that much these days. You can see it in the ditches when fresh hog fuel is dumped as brackish water.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

My mom and I had an incident with a crazy boarder about 2 years ago or so. The girl we had to deal with bought a crazy aggressive then 3 year old QH mare( who had her hoodwinked into believing that she was some docile little sweetie) who caused us SO MUCH GRIEF. We're all about safety at our barn, and a horse who rears and strikes when it is being led in from the paddocks, kicks inside the stall to the point that it left a small dent in the wood, not to mention when in the paddocks it kicks at the horse next door (that at the time was a show horse) AND pinned me up in the stall when I went to dump feed is concidered a safety hazard. The girl eventually left because of the fact that she put all sorts of stipulations on my mom and our barn girl. "In this degree weather I want this blanket. In this degree weather I want this. At lunch I want my horse to have x number of flakes of hay". Granted we have full care board, but my mom has a full time job. So does our barn girl, and i'm a full time student. We are not there 24/7.

But I agree. Just pay her to leave and be done with it.