The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

^I agree! I read the whole thread thinking there would be some more at the end, but after the first 2 1/2 pages there were only requests for PMs. How did they follow you onto COTH? (Feel free to PM me, lol).
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

1 members found this post helpful.

Ok- Jenners- my curiosity is killing me
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Jenners, my curiosity is killing me too.

While were on the subject, did everyone ever find out what happened with the crazy Crayola lady?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Sorry again OP, didn't want to derail your thread . It was just a misery loves company!

To everyone else: the woman I bought the farmette from has a bff who lurks on COTH and recognized the situation. I inherited the PITA boarder from the former owner, and the former owner, bff, and mom were a trio already when I came into the picture. The bff has opinions about everything, and if you don't agree, she badmouths you. During the time this was happening, she was on an anti-bodyclipping kick and told my boarders that one of my horses got PSSM from bodyclipping (I found this out later...but paints a picture, yes?). The bff printed out the thread and gave it to the mom, who tried to "confront" me with it on move out day. I shrugged and said "yep, true." Nothing else to say, right? I owned up. Her daughter (14) cussed me out and mom encouraged it. The bff was the rig driver who had been taking my side to my face, and orchestrating everything else behind my back. I videoed the whole ordeal... Mare left wearing her dress sheet, never to be seen or heard of again.

OK, no more about me!!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

OP,
    Reading your follow up, I do think you need to just wait it out.

Really, how many spectacular things did you expect this woman to say? You made it pretty in the first post that she was leaving because she didn't think your care was up to her standards (which may or may not be impossible to reach)

She's leaving b/c she's unhappy with your services and you're surprised she's trashing your facility? She doesn't like it. Why would she say anything nice? Doesn't sound like she's any fonder of you than you are of she. But she did give you your required 30 days notice, and isn't really wrong to expect your services for the next 30 days.

So she swore at you/DH, but honestly, get over it. I have had people swear at me, and have sworn at other people. Apparently you don't live on the East Coast. Don't you remember that little ditty "Sticks & stones can break your bones, but names will never hurt you"?

I think that swearing at you and confronting you on your own property is totally unacceptable.

And I live in NJ.

21 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    I think that swearing at you and confronting you on your own property is totally unacceptable.

And I live in NJ.
    Me too, and I'm 100 miles north of NYC.

5 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=red mares;6888379]OP,

Really, how many spectacular things did you expect this woman to say? You made it pretty in the first post that she was leaving because she didn't think your care was up to her standards (which may or may not be impossible to reach)

She's leaving b/c she's unhappy with your services and you're surprised she's trashing your facility? She doesn't like it. Why would she say anything nice? Doesn't sound like she's any fonder of you than you are of she. But she did give you your required 30 days notice, and isn't really wrong to expect your services for the next 30 days.

So she swore at you/DH, but honestly, get over it. I have had people swear at me, and have sworn at other people. Apparently you don't live on the East Coast. Don't you remember that little ditty "Sticks & stones can break your bones, but names will never hurt you"?[/QUOTE

Oh, please. If the situation were reversed most of you would say the BO should dig a hole and die in it before disrespecting any client.

No. Customer disses your business while still there, she gets a shortened notice and where she parks her horse or HOW she moves it is her problem. If a customer badmouths your business *especially* to other current customers, they get fired. Period.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Me too, and I'm 100 miles north of NYC.
    Same here. I don't find that behavior acceptable and I'm in the Boston area...a New Englander all my life, MANY of us are not rude and foul mouthed.

3 members found this post helpful.

I understand she is leaving at the end of the month (March 31st?)

Is she too much of a real danger to hang in for the 13 more days?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I understand she is leaving at the end of the month (March 31st?)

Is she too much of a real danger to hang in for the 13 more days?
    To all of the posters who think OP should just hang on and be cool until the end of the month, I ask: Are you going to indemnify OP for any lawsuit that might occur as a result of the nutty boarder's horse getting hurt, cast, colic, etc.?

Or some mysterious accident to another border's horse?

Or maybe a barn fire?

Most likely none of this will take place, but the point is that you ask the OP to take the risk; easy for someone who has nothing at risk.

Any time there is a chance that things might turn out badly, for whatever reason, be very careful with advice.

6 members found this post helpful.

I dunno - just asking, not offering advice on this BB
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Over the decades I have been HO, BO and staff.

First: keep it professional, as you have to this point. Good on you!

Second: on NO circumstances have any private contact with this person. That means no phone call and no conversation where it can become a case of her word against yours.

I agree whole-heartedly that attempting to 'tough it out' and allowing this person to stay to the end of the month will be difficult and potentially much more trouble than it is worth. (Even now that it is down to a matter of two weeks) She has already been aggressive. If she has been bad-mouthing you, it will only get worse and the poison she spreads may have lasting effects. DO give her the option of leaving immediately, with the remainder of the month's board refunded, and DO watch her like a hawk. Your good boarders will thank you for it.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Which is why these days I not only ask for references, I run 'em down. !

Side Note: Rentals (real estate being rented to huuu-maaans) has very stringent State laws about no picking-and-choosing; you can't say "no" if you don't like someone's looks, attitude, etc. Real Estate law calls that "steering" and it's a big no-no.
    !.
    I can and do cherry pick my tenants. My property..my choice who lives there. I cannot discriminate as to color race etc. and cannot refuse to rent to someone because they have kids. (I can limit the number of people living there)
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

To the swearing boarder (a message from Texas) in case she's lurking..Well, bless your little heart..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post
    To the swearing boarder (a message from Texas) in case she's lurking..Well, bless your little heart..LOL
    Our version of that is, "Well, (blank) you very much!"

[QUOTE=Sansena;6888433]
    Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    OP,

I don't expect her to say spectacular things. I DO expect her to keep her mouth shut if she has nothing nice to say. Some people clearly have no home training.

So she swore at you/DH, but honestly, get over it. Seriously?? Um, no. That is not acceptable adult behavior. Period. I have had people swear at me, and have sworn at other people. Apparently you don't live on the East Coast. Don't you remember that little ditty "Sticks & stones can break your bones, but names will never hurt you"?[/QUOTE

Oh, please. If the situation were reversed most of you would say the BO should dig a hole and die in it before disrespecting any client.

No. Customer disses your business while still there, she gets a shortened notice and where she parks her horse or HOW she moves it is her problem. If a customer badmouths your business *especially* to other current customers, they get fired. Period.

Thank you!

I have decided to wait it out unless she does something else stupid. I'm already loosing income, I'd rather not loose more, or reward craptastic behavior. If I had it lying around, I would refund it to try to get her out.

The newest gripe today is about cedar shavings. I get my shavings in bulk from a neighboring farmer, who gets them delivered from a sawmill. Most of the time they are all pine, but sometimes there are other woods like oak or cherry mixed in. Never black walnut though. I do know the bad effects of black walnut and that it is not to be used. This load there appears to be mahogany mixed in. I get a text from Krazy asking if the darker shavings are cedar. I replied mahogany, I think. Krazy's bff tonight asks the same thing. I gave the same answer. I asked politely why she asked. She said "Cedar will kill a horse" with a dead straight face. I replied "Really, because I have never heard such a thing?" She said she was at a show once and a horse had cedar shavings and it died. I just said that I did not think it was cedar and I'm sure it was fine.

I have never and will never claim to know everything, but I have owned horses for 15 years and been boarding professionally for 7 years, and would think that if cedar were toxic I would have heard something about it by now. Does anyone have any information on this? It seems to me they are just looking for things to pick on at this point. Not that I really care just wondering is I missed something about cedar.

Cedar shavings are those extra expensive things they sell folks that keep little dritters like hamsters. Oak is full of tannins and will stain your skin, so will redwood, but I've never heard of horse deaths from anything but the black walnut founder, unless they ate it?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Cedar is fine for bedding,although some horses can have an allergic skin reaction. Mine never did when I used it and the flies stayed away. You would know if it was cedar...you can smell it.