The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    In my experience, law enforcement would much rather be involved proactively "to keep the peace". This boarder has already cursed out the barn owner husband. It never hurts to call or stop by the police station, explain the situation, and see what they say.
    Agree. It's not like you're calling 911. You call the county, explain the situation, especially if you have texts. If they don't come to monitor the situation, at least the situation is document with Jonny Law in case things either get really ugly or turn up missing. I've seen that scenario play out before and it made investigating the destruction of property that happened and theft a little easier to investigate (not saying that this boarder will go that route, but it's best to cover your bases and protect your assets and clients).

And in regards to asking her to leave early, if she's disrupting your business, I think you're completely justified and you're being beyond fair if you go that route and refund the balance of the month.

5 members found this post helpful.

Give her the option to leave early, with refund of unused board. The one client I did this with accepted it, I am a small facility do I removed all MY tack etc. ( I was in a position I put it into my suburban.) Some cops will do a "standby" but if something comes up, they can't guarantee it. My BFF and other boarder was there when she left.

I will say, I boarded where it was closed on Mondays. I requested and received permission to tend to my horse's injury and leave. Sometimes you have to be reasonable.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

She still has to have time to find a new place - your can't exactly put the horse out on the street.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

2 members found this post helpful.

update?????
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

1 members found this post helpful.

Default because sometimes you are simply stuck

Quote Originally Posted by cssutton View Post
    So I ask again, why would anyone stay one day more after finding the BO has flipped?

I would have had my horse and stuff out of there within hours, whether I went to the same barn as the trainer or not.

People like that do things to horses. And to people.

There is another thread where a boarder paid extra for special feeding and found out later that the BO put the feed in front of the horse for the boarder to see and then removed it as soon as the boarder left.

Who wants to keep their horse with people like that?

But that is buyer's choice.
    Because sometimes you can't just pack up and run out the door...let me present a few reasons (I too, have been at barns in the past where the barn owner seemed okay at first and then became nutty)

1. You don't own a trailer, therefore you have to find someone to haul you out.

2. You've already encountered one nutty BO, not a bad idea to research before jumping from the pan into the fire.

3. You don't have the money to pay double board for one month, because we all know if you leave early, you aren't getting a refund and most barns require you to fulfill a 30 day notice to leave.

In all this **itstorm wonder where OP went.

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    update?????

A couple of points.

First, the leg wrap incident was neither the first nor the only incident.

The boarder had become a big problem in many ways.

Second, I would like to ask why you would want to stay in a barn run by a nut case BO.

Unless you like staying in a barn with a nut case BO, there is no disadvantage in being asked to leave by a nut case BO.

Regardless, a barn owner who writes any contract that allows a nut case boarder to stay, regardless of the boarders behavior, morals, honesty, sanity, etc., deserves what he gets.

If I were writing a contract for my barn, your opinion on how it should be written and whether you would agree to it or not would not be a consideration. My barn. You stay in it under my terms, not yours.

That simple.

Putting your horse in another barn is not the same as a residential lease. There are probably 100 barns within a 20 mile radius of here, most of which would take a horse on a moment's notice, if not in a stall, certainly in the pasture which would give the owner time to find a barn that had stall space.....

I find it odd that some of the posters here think that the barn owner must meet their (the horse owner's) contract terms. You have it backwards. The barn owner sets the terms, whether you like them or not and if you do not, go on to another barn.
    THIS, 100%! It is your property, and you have no obligation whatsoever to allow people with whom you don't feel comfortable to stay for ANY length of time--especially when it may disrupt your entire business. I have never had anyone bat an eye at my "back door" clause that enables me to throw someone like that out, most likely for the safety of everyone concerned. My barn; my rules. Boarding a horse here is a privilege, not a "right."

In 20 years, I've only ever had to invoke it once; with a woman I took on against my better judgement because she'd been blackballed everywhere else. Within three days I promptly found out why. Among other interesting attributes, she'd been refused service by literally every vet in our entire area, as well as the feed stores, and was certifiably mad as a March hare.

And don't worry about what someone like that may do to "trash your reputation." Asshats and nutjobs are usually self-revealing, and the fact that you throw them out the good boarders and other local professionals will consider a testament to your good management and common sense.

4 members found this post helpful.

That's true, Lady Eboshi...and when asshats spread rumors those local professionals will be the first to tell you.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Which is why these days I not only ask for references, I run 'em down. Refused a girl recently when I found out "on the grapevine" she was a notorious lousy payer at her last two barns. And I second what someone said above--don't assume just because they arrive in a BMW or a big gooseneck it means they're necessarily nice, sane, or solvent!

Side Note: Rentals (real estate being rented to huuu-maaans) has very stringent State laws about no picking-and-choosing; you can't say "no" if you don't like someone's looks, attitude, etc. Real Estate law calls that "steering" and it's a big no-no.
    But those rules do NOT apply to boarding horses. You DO NOT have to suffer people who drive you crazy or don't pay. They are relatively easy to get rid of as described by many above. Don't get trapped into thinking they "have you" and will sue. It's not the same thing AT ALL!

Hope this helps. I've been there and it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Because sometimes you can't just pack up and run out the door...let me present a few reasons (I too, have been at barns in the past where the barn owner seemed okay at first and then became nutty)

1. You don't own a trailer, therefore you have to find someone to haul you out.

2. You've already encountered one nutty BO, not a bad idea to research before jumping from the pan into the fire.

3. You don't have the money to pay double board for one month, because we all know if you leave early, you aren't getting a refund and most barns require you to fulfill a 30 day notice to leave.
    That is the sheepie way.

I can tell you how to move a horse in less than 24 hours whether you have a trailer or not and whether you have a pre arranged barn or not.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    update?????
    I haven't seen her back out yet. I like the idea of refunding unused days of board if she leaves quickly and peacefully. She has her friend she moved in with moving out with her, I have no issues with her ever polite friend, wonder if I should offer her too or not?

She has not yet been violent or made threats but did in the course of cursing out of my DH told him that she was a paying customer until the end of the month and there was nothing we could do about it. DH told her he would call the police if she did not leave right then (after 10 pm) and she laughed in his face and said good luck, they can't make me leave, I paid my rent! So she has showed some seriously deranged behavior thus far.

She has also been slandering me to other boarders. I touched on this in the OP but I have a 20 stall barn and I have already have 2 boarders come to me and tell me about her trash talking. Another crazy boarder (has never caused a real problem, pays on time, is just very "off" and EVERYONE else at the barn refers to her as "crazy" so and so.) has been parroting what the original trouble maker is saying. I gave her an eviction notice yesterday in person. I told her that her slander had gotten back to me and that I knew everything she had said and that if she feels that way she needed to leave. At first she played dumb, then admitted to some of it. I told her I didn't tolerate talk like that in my barn. So she starts texting yet another boarder saying the same things to her and soliciting to her that she could move out and go with "them", meaning herself, origional crazy and her buddy. So how do I get them to keep their mouths shut after they have already been told to do so, until they are gone? Ive been boarding for 7 years, and never had a problem with anyone leaving angry/on bad terms.

Some won't like my politic approach, so make of this what you will.

I assume Krazy's friend knows that Krazy is leaving. Did she give notice as well? Assuming Non-crazy Buddy did give you notice:

I think it's best to treat each person as well as they treat you, regardless of who they hang with. In your spot, I'd assume Non-crazy Buddy was leaving at the end of the month. If she asks for the same deal you gave Krazy, I'd do it.... with no comment one way or the other other than that you'll miss having her (If That Is True).

Non-crazy Buddy needs to figure out the costs of hanging out with Krazy. You get to show yourself to all to be a reasonable, peaceable person by treating each person politely or with hardness as they warrant.

Oh, and if you think Krazy behaves better when DH deals with her, or when you both are there, why not have the right person be on-hand when Krazy is around? You shouldn't have to do this, of course, but right now you are in a "git-r-done" situation where whatever works is what you should do.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Um, OP? Not that it changes anything, but do you think crazy leg wrap gal is going to go back in the biz? Sure sounds like she's trying to collect clients with the trash talk. Again, not that it really matters since anyone she'd collect with that move would not be worth keeping, but it did make me wonder. I've run a facility that size before and know a 3 horse loss can make things very tight. I hope there are wonderful folks behind these three, who will make your place even more pleasant an that they find you soon.

Good luck.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

4 members found this post helpful.

If the boarder is the nutcase the OP says she is, and the OP is a wonderful BO, then the OP doesn't have anything to worry about - her boarders will know the boarder is a wackjob and all will be right in the world when they're gone. In these situations, it's always best to try not to stoop to the level of the crazy one. These are the times where it's best to be as diplomatic as possible, try not to resort to badmouthing the soon to be ex-boarder - the truth will come out eventually - it somehow always does

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I think it's best to treat each person as well as they treat you, regardless of who they hang with.
    Sorry, but this is a terrible idea. In basically all situations.

OP, you are responsible for YOUR behavior, and yours alone.

You can't stop the trash talk, but people that know you and your operation will not believe it. Many people do what my mother said, "Consider the Source", and know when someone who is vendictive starts trash talking that it is garbage. If anyone believes it, then you're better off without them. Start looking for more and better boarders now, and if either crazy wants to come back say no. And if the normal friend of crazy wants to come back, then make it with the provision that her friends don't set foot on your property. Next time the original problem person comes after hours, or gets disruptive, then call the cops. Getting a police report helps when she moves out, and if you ever need to prove who is the problem and what happened.

And again, I know it sounds paranoid, but don't meet with her in private, and especially not DH. Witnesses to everything for your personal and legal safety is so important. And you never know when someone who is that out of control will actually lose all control.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

That is the sheepie way.

I can tell you how to move a horse in less than 24 hours whether you have a trailer or not and whether you have a pre arranged barn or not.
    *snork* they do have feet and they did used to be a primary form of transportation.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

That's tough OP, but there's not much you can do about it the rumor spreading, short of getting an attorney to threaten her. Keep an eye on any online comments regarding your farm too. I don't know what makes people so vindictive, but some people are just wired wrong.

The best thing you can do with your other boarders is to let them know you know about the rumor mill, and that you are grateful that they know you and the type of care you provide their horses and for their support. Don't bash the crazy one to any other boarders though...that's a path to pure crazy. Let's hope this is your last crazy boarder for a while.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Wow OP So sorry .

For your reading pleasure while waiting for this nightmare to end, I give you my thread from 2006 when I dealt with almost the same crap, except said shitty boarder was a TEENAGER. There's a catch, it's a cliffhanger, because my barn drama followed me onto COTH. And I was new to the area, only lived in the area for two years, so was an unknown.

My vote is to wait them out. Lock up your stuff, grin and bear it, and just wait them out. Keep the handy cell phone camera rolling when needed, or get one if you don't have a smart phone. I videoed mine loading her horse onto a trailer, and then promptly told the driver of the rig who had been professing to be my friend for some time to never place another foot on my property every again.

I can tell you that *I* am still involved in horses with a good reputation in the community and *they* are not... to both. And while I can't tell stories out of school, I can tell you that the family is just as classy as they sound.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

TheJenner... that dang thing left me hanging! What happened? How did it follow you onto COTH?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"