The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Equine Couture breeches - sizing question

I'm thinking of buying some EC breeches. One of the women at my barn showed up in a pair that looked really cool the other day and I've been wanting some more options for schooling, so perfect timing! I didn't get a chance to ask her about fit though. I've heard they run a little small (read a few threads here about them) but I was wondering more about the leg fit specifically. I'm 5'4" with fairly average hips and very muscular thighs/butt, so sometimes the waist of breeches will fit but the seams on the leg will look all warped (my pet peeve!). I wear a 28 in TS, which fits my thigh perfectly but leaves a gap at the hips/waist in the low rise (26 fits in the waist, but makes my legs look like stuffed sausages ). Should I size up to 30 for EC to make sure it fits my thighs?

EC breeches fit me tight in the thigh. My thighs measure 24" so are quite big. I have a pair right now that are slightly tight in the thigh but like 4"s to big in the waist. I have to put a belt on really tight as my thighs pull the breeches down.

I find that EC breeches are cut for a straighter figure than the TS. Generally speaking, comparing the two brands in the same size, the EC will have more room in the waist and less in the thigh. If I were to get EC breeches, I would have to size up from TS so the leg fit right, but then the waist gaps way too big.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks for asking, OP. I've been admiring them. Anyone have thoughts how they fit those of us who don't do well in TS, but fit great in Ariats, Grand Prixs, and Trainer's Choice?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Thanks for asking, OP. I've been admiring them. Anyone have thoughts how they fit those of us who don't do well in TS, but fit great in Ariats, Grand Prixs, and Trainer's Choice?
    I believe Ariat has recently changed their sizing (to be more like TS and a little straighter), but in the older sizing, I wore a size down from TS, so 2 sizes down from what I would need in EC. I haven't tried on GP or TC, so I can't speak to how those compare.

EC is definitely a straighter cut than Ariat. EC is cut with only about a 6" difference between the waist and the hip. TS is about 8", and Ariat is (or used to be) 10".
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I found EC to run small in the leg but roomier in the waist. I would go with the 30, however, if they don't fit right it's not worth it.

Size up. I suggest ordering from Smartpak because then it's a free return on them if they don't fit because of their sized items policy. For me, they were too tight in the thigh, but when I sized up they fit well.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Personally, I wouldn't recommend buying them without trying them. When I went to try them, 2 of the cuts fit me HORRIBLY and the 3rd fit perfectly.

I love mine but I find they are not very forgiving if they don't fit right because they don't have a ton of stretch. The ones I bought (the Blakely knee patch) were my normal size, but for the other cuts I would have had to size up.

Or order from somewhere you can return them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

just a caution , some of the models can be extremely low rise.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I'm a 28 in TS/Pikeur/etc. and went up to a 30 in my EC breeches. They are very very low rise.

I didn't find them any lower rise than the rest of my low rise breeches.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have some of their older breeches - the F3, maybe? They have the piping on the front slash pockets and the stretchy plaid panel at the calf (which I looooooove so much more than velcro closures that are bulky under boots.)

They definitely have a more generous waist than my other breeches (TS and Pikeur) which suit my sadly "middle aged" figure well. Sigh. Sounds like they are still cut that way and if so - you may find it tricky to get a pair that suits you, given your description. I have thinner legs and a bigger waist (sigh again) and they are great for me, but usually I find that if breeches fit me in the butt and thigh, they are too tight in the waist.

I'd definitely buy from a place where you can try a few sizes to see what works best for you and return the ones you don't like.

That said, I've had my EC breeches for years and they are just now starting to show some wear. They've held up really well and are very comfortable.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I have a pair of EC breeches that are 24s - I'm 5'1'' and tiny, so finding breeches for me is always a trick. I usually end up wearing the cotton TS schooling breeches in a child's 12, and my ECs fit very similarly to those. I think the ECs are a little tighter in the thigh than the TS breeches, but it's different material so that would make sense.

Hmm....doesn't sound like they'll work for me (though, I may see if I can try some on, just to be sure). I am a classic hour glass....little waist, round hips, curvy backside. The old Ariat All Circuits and Brittanies fit me VERY well. Bummer to hear they've changed their cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Hmm....doesn't sound like they'll work for me (though, I may see if I can try some on, just to be sure). I am a classic hour glass....little waist, round hips, curvy backside. The old Ariat All Circuits and Brittanies fit me VERY well. Bummer to hear they've changed their cuts.
    The All Circuits were the best pant ever! If you find something comparable let me know!