The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Absolut Equestrian View Post
    "it doesn't matter how it works, it doesn't matter why it works, all that matters is that it DOES work - and we have too many customers to be wrong!"
    Providing hope is very a very lucrative business, and customers will pay dearly for it. Proven efficacy utilizing good science has nothing to do with the business of providing hope. All you have to do is make promises, and provide testimonials by people blinded by their hope. Gosh, if they did real science, their product could be proven to be ineffective, and then how would they make money?

1 members found this post helpful.

Yep, OK then!

Several years ago at Rolex, I walked into the Cortaflex booth and tried to ask some questions about the research used to develop their product and its mechanisms of action. I was genuinely curious, as I was a grad student studying equine cartilage at the time. The sales rep walked me over to the company founder/president who happened to be in the booth.

Not long after, I was literally chased out of the booth for asking such inappropriate questions. As I sheepishly retreated, the head of the company SHOUTED behind me something along the lines of "it doesn't matter how it works, it doesn't matter why it works, all that matters is that it DOES work - and we have too many customers to be wrong!"

FWIW, I still research cartilage and joint biology. This means that I get to hang out with some pretty brilliant scientists...including internationally recognized experts in mammalian articular cartilage metabolism, repair, etc. Many of these individuals are of an age where they have started to experience symptoms of osteoarthritis themselves. I don't know a single one of them that takes glucosamine/chondroitin/msm themselves, or that recommends it to their friends, patients or colleagues. They all point to the lack of data on the bioavailability of oral supplements, as well as actual in vivo efficacy after oral supplementation. Their most commonly prescribed (and effective) treatments for humans and animals alike is shockingly…diet and exercise.
    WOW! That little experience kinda says it all, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    In another time you would have been burned at the stake, you heretic.

I used to have big dreams of going to work for a supplement company and conducting research to develop new musculoskeletal supplements for horses. Then I realized that such a job does not actually exist
    *Absolut Equestrian*

"The plural of anecdote is not fact...except in the horse industry"

I had a similar, if not so explosive a conversation, with the owner of another owner of a supplement company. He told me that if their customers were buying it, then it worked. Not enough reassurance to make me want to fork over $$$ per month to feed their product!

Sadly, pills to fix arthritis are right up there with creams that stop wrinkles.

Yep, OK then!

Several years ago at Rolex, I walked into the Cortaflex booth and tried to ask some questions about the research used to develop their product and its mechanisms of action. I was genuinely curious, as I was a grad student studying equine cartilage at the time. The sales rep walked me over to the company founder/president who happened to be in the booth.

Not long after, I was literally chased out of the booth for asking such inappropriate questions. As I sheepishly retreated, the head of the company SHOUTED behind me something along the lines of "it doesn't matter how it works, it doesn't matter why it works, all that matters is that it DOES work - and we have too many customers to be wrong!"

FWIW, I still research cartilage and joint biology. This means that I get to hang out with some pretty brilliant scientists...including internationally recognized experts in mammalian articular cartilage metabolism, repair, etc. Many of these individuals are of an age where they have started to experience symptoms of osteoarthritis themselves. I don't know a single one of them that takes glucosamine/chondroitin/msm themselves, or that recommends it to their friends, patients or colleagues. They all point to the lack of data on the bioavailability of oral supplements, as well as actual in vivo efficacy after oral supplementation. Their most commonly prescribed (and effective) treatments for humans and animals alike is shockingly…diet and exercise.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Having tried them on a subject capable of speech. I'd say save your $$$.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.