The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For those of you who vaccinate your own...

What vaccine company are you going with and why? Is there any point in price shopping on vaccines? What company are you seeing the least reactions to? And what all vaccines do you give in what combos? Meaning, do you give them all separately? Or 4-way, 6-way, etc? Thanks for your time.

UnitedVet.com
    VEWT combo. Rabies. WNV. So, 3 different shots.
    I don't give them all in one day; I only give them in the back of the thigh (midway between point-of-butt and stifle), I alternate legs, I try to ride a bit afterwards, and I've never had a reaction in 20 years.

Not directly answering your question on companies - I vaccinate my own (except for Rabies), and I have my vet draw all the vaccinations. I usually break the shots up over a couple of months b/c I have a horse with uveitis, so I don't want to stress his immune system. The only cost savings is the haul in for the vet to do it. I buy them from my vet to keep all of their records in their system - and to be in good graces with them in case of an emergency.

I generally price shop, but it kind of breaks down to which company has all the vaccines in stock that I want. Last year I used Vaccines4Less. I vaccinate for rhino,flu, encephlo, tetanus(combo), strangles, PHF, WNV, Rabies.

Thanks guys. Wondering if I should go with the prestige V with the wnv added and then also a Potomac/rabies combo vaccine. I'd like to use as few shots as I can. That would take care of it in just two shots. Does anyone have any preferred companies they feel safest with?

I use Fluvac Innovator 6. It hits everything but West Nile and rabies. I've never had any reactions with the Fluvac and I've been using it for years. I give WNV later in the spring and always have the vet do rabies when he pulls for coggins. It's illegal around here for anyone but a vet to administer rabies.

I use Prestige V + WNV:

http://www.unitedvetequine.com/horse...e-vaccines.asp

I do price shop for it. United Vet Equine is good, but I got them from somewhere else last year because I found a 10% coupon code or something. The overnight/2 day shipping fees can vary dramatically from place to place...that is usually where I find the savings, vs. the cost of the actual vaccines.

I have my vet out for rabies/coggins.

I utilize the vet for Rabies & Coggins. All of the other vaccinations are given by myself. I try to steer clear of anything FT Dodge - have read too many negative comments over the years to be comfortable. Also, the only time my horse ever reacted to a vaccine, it was a Ft Dodge given by the vet. I buy the Recombitek West Nile (Merial), the Prestige V + VEE by Merck, and Potomavac (Merial). I give a single shot per week, that way if there's a reaction - I know the culprit. I actually just ordered mine this morning from Big Dee's. I like to order before it gets too warm outside, just in case there's an issue with shipping. I also try to order from a company that is only 1 day regular ground shipping away...again, extra insurance in case there's a problem.
    Cindy