The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Flex tree in a Marcus Krehan?

Someone asked if my Marcus Krehan dressage saddles have flex trees. To the best of my knowledge, they don't, but does anyone here know for sure? Or if not, how can you tell if a saddle has a flex tree? I bought both of them used, and I've done a Google search, but came up with nothing. Thanks!

I don't know (and I have an MK too), but for this one I'd call up Trumbull Mountain. They are very helpful and knowledgeable, even about the less common brands.

That's a good idea, thanks!

I *believe* the MK saddles have rigid trees, but if you want to find out for sure, prop the pommel arch over your thigh and grab the cantle of the saddle in one hand. With the other, press down on the seat and try to pull the cantle toward you. If it gives, it's a flexible tree.

I have an MK too and I don't think mine is a flexible tree. I love that several people have MK saddles and knows what they are. Everyone asks what brand my saddle is because even the most finicky horses seem to like it. I always get blank stares when I tell them the brand.

Thanks, guys! I adore my Krehans; unfortunately, since being broken, my knee doesn't adore the external blocks much anymore. I'm pretty sure they have rigid trees, but figured I would check here and see what the other opinions were.

I had one and LOVED IT! If I am not mistaken they have the old wooden trees which I really like. When I had to go custom to fit my mare years ago they put a flex tree in it and I hated it so eventually had it removed.

Lucky you to have more than one! I wish I had kept mine now.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Interesting to me as I have been looking at a wide MK for a shortbacked muttonwithered Lippie pony that I have. Nothing, and I mean, Nothing, has fit her to this point. I need very wide, like a 6" open head gullet, curvy tree, and non-gusseted panels in back no longer than 18". Do you think it would fit the bill? Saddles that haven't worked are: wide Passier GG, wide but older L&R Ellipse, my wide and xw Albions are too long, a wide Neidersuss Symphonie, a Jeffries, and a wide Wolfgang Solo...pls help!!! lol

Have you tried the L&R Concord, made for the Baroque type horse? It has a broad , mouth with a bit more shape longitudinally? Another option might be a Black Country hoop tree with an upswept rear gusset and possibly a k panel. It's hard to know for sure without a photo.

Thanks, Jaybird...i have considered those, but didn't want to spend thousands on a first saddle for the baby girl, as she may change shape considerably in the next few years. I was trying to find something workable until she gets her 'big girl' saddle. I love the Wolfgang Solo, and they do make pony panels, so was hoping down the road they could make one to fit her. Just wish I could find an xw hoopish tree saddle for now.

The Duett Fidelio has a hoop tree at a more affordable price.

1 members found this post helpful.