The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Platinum Performance - Complete Supplement?

I am looking to potentially re-vamp my supplements to reduce cost and simplify. So wondering if those of you feeding PP if you are also feeding other supplements? Or do you feel this covers everything?

I'm looking for thoughts on if you feel PP (original, not the CJ) is complete enough to covers vit/min, digestive, skin/coat, and weight?

I feel it covers everything. The only other feed additive I give when my horses are on PP is psyllium once a month, and IM adequan for the old guys because IMO oral joint supplements don't do diddly.
    I don't know how it would "cover" weight... For my hard-keeper TB, I fed him Empower for the fat calories.

Thanks. I am currently feeding my TB's Ultimate Finish 100, and wondering if I should keep them on it if I use PP.

I have been feeding PP and like it but... it ridiculously expensive. I just today decided to make the switch to Smart Pak's version of PP which is a lot less money and has excellent reviews. I don't think I would add any other supplements to it unless you are doing something like a straight fat.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I think PP is great, but I think a big part of it is ground flax seed and that can be gotten pure in Triple Crown Omega Max. I do use it, and add more flax for fat, and am happy with it, but if cost is a real concern, I think you could go with a cheaper product.

I use it by itself. It's great. I've been using it for years. I gave it to my mare when she was pregnant and the vet complimented me on how great she looked. Good weight, shiny coat, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    I have been feeding PP and like it but... it ridiculously expensive.
    In response to this, my SO is a DVM so I get it for cost. If I had to pay full price, I would probably consider a different/cheaper product.

I agree that the cost of PP is expensive, but if I am feeding a vit/min sup and a digestive sup it probably cost the same per month, so may as well feed one versus two.

I had inquired with Smart pak about their version of PP, and they told me I still needed to add a vit/min supplement if I wasn't feeding the full amount of grain...howerver, PP states they cover the vit/min in their formula. Perhaps this was a way for smartpak to make more money by selling another supplement.

Also, when I got sample of both, it seemed like a lot more powder had to be fed with Smartpak's version versus the PP.

I really like PP, and I have been using it for a few years. My farrier says my horses grow foot like horses that live on green pasture. Everybody is glossy and it's very palatable.

I have also used the PP CJ on a horse and noticed a big difference within a month.

On my coming 4 yr old, I give additional E (elevate). We don't have grass - even when it's not winter LOL - and he's growing and needs to make muscles.