The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show coat suggestions needed

I have recently lost some weight and my old show coat is just way too big. It was too big before I lost the weight and now it's just huge. I am very busty with a relatively small waist and typically fabrics with a little stretch fit me the best and plus they're so much more comfortable. I'd like to invest in a nice coat I can use for a long time. I'd also like for it to look nice on the horses I show. DH and I have two flashy chestnut geldings with 4 socks and a blaze (one in my profile pic) and then I have another bay mare with a blaze and one tall sock that's about to be broke out so hopefully we'll be showing soon. I typically show local GHJA hunters (with 'A' show dreams), but DH is trying to get me to do APHA HUS classes on his gelding and I'm not sure if coat styles are any different for those shows...

TIA!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    I have recently lost some weight and my old show coat is just way too big. It was too big before I lost the weight and now it's just huge. I am very busty with a relatively small waist and typically fabrics with a little stretch fit me the best and plus they're so much more comfortable. I'd like to invest in a nice coat I can use for a long time. I'd also like for it to look nice on the horses I show. DH and I have two flashy chestnut geldings with 4 socks and a blaze (one in my profile pic) and then I have another bay mare with a blaze and one tall sock that's about to be broke out so hopefully we'll be showing soon. I typically show local GHJA hunters (with 'A' show dreams), but DH is trying to get me to do APHA HUS classes on his gelding and I'm not sure if coat styles are any different for those shows...

TIA!
    I would go with grey .... I have this coat and LOOOVVEE it!

http://store.alessandroalbanese.com/...eady-gray.html

If you've got a small waist and lightly larger shoulders, I'd suggest Grand Prix. They fit me really well. Also I'd suggest navy because it will always be in style, unlike gray or green, or lighter colors. If you know your measurements or can take them, call Farmhouse Tack, they should have some coats in your size for good prices.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I second Grand Prix! I'm a 32DD and 26 in breeches so a rather small frame with a large chest and Grand Prix is the only brand that will even button over my chest and still flatter my smaller waist. Try the softshell and TechLite fabrics for more stretch as well. They come in all sorts of colors too.

Call Farmhouse! They for sure have a few coats in stock for $100 or less—my navy Grand Prix (with gorgeous burgundy lining) was just $100, marked down from $480.