The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Let's play the price is right!

So I just dropped off some foster kittens to the vet. All 5 seem to have a URI of some sort and one adult cat has it as well. Anyone want to play guess how much this will cost me?

5 kittens (around 8 weeks)+ 1 adult, some sort of sneezy and congested URI type thing. Exam, tests, and meds.

Winner gets..hhhmmm. Your choice of kitten? lol. Kitties are Mustachio, Pistachio, Radicchio, Hatfield, and McCoy.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I'll play! I took two adult cats to the vet last year with lingering URIs and it cost me between $225 and $250 (can't remember exactly). Partly my fault because I asked for the 7-day antibiotic shot instead of oral meds, and the vet likes to give steroids with the shot for extra oomph (sp?).

I'll say $150 with oral meds, the deed to your house with injectable ones!

Don't need kittens, though--I have 4 listed under Giveaways right now!
    "If you get to thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around." –Will Rogers

I guess $600 (approx. $100 each). What will drive it up will be the exam and tests for each one. Kinda depends on how much your vet charges for the exams and tests.

And I don't need another "free" kitten either! The inn is already over capacity!

Good part being that the kittens are likely small enough to be able to share a few bottles of Clavamox drops. I am guessing $100 for a few bottles of Clavamox and another $250 for the six exams. If they're getting leukemia tested that's another $40-50 per cat.

The vet I use for small animals is very reasonable. I just had a decent size tumor removed on a dog and the cost was under $400, including pre-anesthesia blood work, antibiotics, Rimadyl and nail clipping as long as she was under. I removed stitches myself. My guess, depending on the antibiotic used, would be a couple hundred bucks.

Well, no $$ amount yet, but I did get a call saying they have a URI (very contagious one) and conjunctivitis and the vet wants to talk with me about it when I come to pick them up. That kind of makes it sound like it will be expensive, yes?
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

Ugh - hopefully they all have the same thing. It would be nice if you could have 1 exam & get out for under $100. At my vet, it would be $300 for just the exams Bless you for taking the fosters in!

I'm not allowed to "win" but could I please see a picture of Mustachio?!?! Sounds cute as heck!

Get well soon kittehs!!

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    I'm not allowed to "win" but could I please see a picture of Mustachio?!?! Sounds cute as heck!

Get well soon kittehs!!
    I don't have a good photo of Mustachio because he is always moving, always. I did grab this quick one while he was sleeping and you can kind of see his mustache.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...36583870_o.jpg
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

1 members found this post helpful.

OMG I love him!!! I'm glad you're half the country away or I'd have some serious explaining to do. Good luck & report back.

It's a very good thing I'm in NC.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Oh God - lol!!!

My husband & I played this game a couple of years ago when our Rat Terrier/Beagle cross had, for the umpteenth time, a mystery serious allergic reaction to Lord knows what, on - of all days - New Year's Day. Which of course meant an hour's drive to the closest animal emergency clinic.

As we sat in the waiting room - & later at the restaurant, since poor doggy was going to be awhile at the clinic - we made bets on the bill outcome. Hubby had it around $400 or so; I betted on $300. I won (nothing but happiness for my wallet - lol!!), as bill was $250 or so, & that included bloodwork, antihistamines, & intravenous rehydration.

Folks there (http://www.princewilliamevc.com/) couldn't have been nicer. And they were busy as all hell thanks to the holiday. Definitely not $$-mongers, & faxed all paperwork to our regular vet so they'd have a record of what happened. While I hope we never need them again, won't hesitate if the situation arises.

5 kittens, adult cat and meds? I'd say $375, depending on the meds. My vet would charge one office visit fee and the meds and tests, if any are required. If the kittens are all from the same litter, I doubt he would test them all, but I don't know - I've never had a litter of anything.

StG

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    I don't have a good photo of Mustachio because he is always moving, always. I did grab this quick one while he was sleeping and you can kind of see his mustache.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...36583870_o.jpg
    Oooooh! He looks like a gray & white. I have a gray & white and she is a lunatic! Can be very sweet and can be extremely bitchy....sometimes switching between them within seconds. She also likes to chase her tail and kick herself under the chin.

And the total was....dun dun dun..... $94.50. I am completely amazed as I was prepared for hundreds of dollars, and that is even with me asking for an additional bottle of antibiotics in case my other cat came down with it.

Diagnosis of URI and conjunctivitis, only charged for exam/test on one. I know the receptionist fairly well and she said that the new vet I saw gives discounts pretty regularly and only charged me the bare minimum. Lucky me!!

I'm sure we could arrange shipment if anyone wants Mustachio ( =) ). He, and his buds Pistachio and Radicchio, are all grey with white. Pistachio has a white spot on his back and Radicchio has the perfect model kitten face. Everyone that sees Radicchio says she looks like a commercial kitten. Hatfield and McCoy are a black and a grey tabby bobtail.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

2 members found this post helpful.

Whoo hoo! Thank God for compassionate vets who take care of us kind hearted suckers in the world. I hope they all recover quickly & find forever homes. Maybe you can put a flyer up @ the vets? It must be a hoot to watch them all play!

I'm happy that you have such a kind vet, and that your tab was so low! They are an endangered species!
    "If you get to thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around." –Will Rogers

...Wow. Nice vet. I had one cat with a UTI, crystals and sludge and it was $600. I like the local vet, but there are days....I'm used to big bills when I have, say, both dogs in for their teeth or something.

I'm seriously amazed. You have a great vet!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.