The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Maiden warmblood mare, AI with fresh semen, with Vet/Ultrasound......so our breeding dates were recorded and correct.
    She carried for 12 months and 10 days.
    I was extremely worried, had the vet checking her constantly, and when the foal was born, the Vet was present.
    The resulting colt was fiesty and strong with full mane and tail, but his body weight was very poor. He had actually begun to lose weight as he went past what should have been his correct foaling date.
    He looked like a bag of bones when born, but was healthy, up and nursing very quickly.He had an unusal long body coat, not the normal foal coat at all, that one would expect.
    He reached full expected height of 16.2hhs and suffered no long term health problems, or joint issues.

Mine seem to average 325 - 340 days. I think I would have a stroke if one of mine went over 400 days. Of course, now I just jinxed myself.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Our pony mare decided to celebrate the 1 year mark (365 from last breeding date) with a baby boy at 9 am. Almost missed it, as she looked normal at 7:30 and I went in to make breakfast for the family. I hope this is not a contest between my mares this year! I like the 320-330 day gestations. We already have to wait long enough, that these few extra days seem like an eternity!
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube