The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Purina Ultium vs Pennfield Fibergized Omega for sensitive, hard keeper?

I'm moving my gelding back home and I'm going to be switching his feed to one that my local feed store carries. I've fed Purina Ultium before to another mare with fairly decent results.

My gelding is an 8 y/o OTTB who can be rather sensitive and up, so I certainly don't want to make him hotter. He's also a rather hard keeper so I'm looking for something high in "cool" calories, if you will.

He didn't maintain his weight well at all on the Nutrena XTN, and needs to gain about 100 lbs.

Which feed you you feed your sensitive, hard keeper, and why?
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I know lots of people have good luck with Ultium, but I also know a lot of people (including me) have had horses go bonkers on it. I wouldn't risk it with a sensitive type.

My sensitive, tightly wound, kinda high strung OTTB THRIVES on Fibergized Omega. While he isn't quiet on it, he is more manageable than he was on what I used to feed him because of my other horses allergies. It's good stuff, highly palatable, puts great blooms on the coat, and, for the most part, keeps everyone pretty sensible (I have one mare who is over the top, but she's an uber hard keeper and laid up and overfed for no work. I think anyone would be on the wild side with that combo!).

I also highly recommend Cocosoya oil. I'm in love with that stuff and can keep my guy's calorie intake down a bit by adding in some of that. Also great for the skin and coat (high priority for my horse).

1 members found this post helpful.

Wonderful, thank you!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I had a horse who was very sensitive do quite well on Ultium. He was one of those horses that didn't even care to eat, but was the tallest most worked, so had to eat! He was very thin when I got him. Then I switched feed stores because of another horse's needs, and started them on Triple Crown feeds. I started the picky eater on TC Complete and he loved it and did really really well on it. So I think Ultium is great and TC Complete is great, too. He was on TC Senior for a little while, but wound up leaving all the little shreds of beat pulp at the bottom of his feed tub and not eat it. He ate all the complete though.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

The third ingredient in Ultium is Molasses. There is just no getting around that. Also, the NSC on it is 16, which is actually very high. And the selenium is sodium selenate, and not yeast selenium. The former is NOT bioavailable to the horse as well as the latter. I just did a point by point by point comparison of this to Triple Crown Low Starch and the winner was the TC LS hands down. I am going to add a little extra fat to the diet in a pure form (I use Omega Max which is just pure flax seed--my horses love it). I am transitioning the horse we have on Ultium off of it and she already acts calmer.

My horse was on Ultium for several years and did fairly well on it. He's a high-energy Arab, and it didn't seem to make him any hotter than anything else But when I moved up from 25 to 50-mile rides, he was working hard enough that he wasn't maintaining weight on the Ultium. I switched him to Fibregized Omega, and I think they should probably change the name to Fibregized OMG Your Horse Will Love This. My formerly picky eater now licks his bucket until it's shiny, nickers incessantly at feeding time until he gets his food, and has put on both weight and muscle. I can even put powdered supplements in it, which was an absolute deal-breaker for him on the Ultium.

Fibregized does tend to clump up, so I would suggest moistening it to prevent choke.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Hi
    I dont really have any feed suggestions since I just posted on looking for suggestions. But I fed Ultuim to my H/A mare because it seemed to have all the right stuff in it. The issue was my mare became a HOT,SPOOKY mess. Always in a consistent heat.Touchy and just over all a b#$%^. This was a very sweet calm mare prior to that. BUT I will say she looked great and had good weight. As others said really look whats in a feed. It was my mistake because I was only looking at the protein,fat and fiber content. Good luck

When I got my sensitive, hot OTTB back from being leased he was SO skinny. He was put on ultium- advice of the animal nutritionist at my equine school- and I would guess that he gained about 200lbs in 2 months. I have pictures if I can find them somewhere. He was no hotter than usual, although I do think that it can affect some horses differently. My other OTTB who was normally pretty quiet was switched from strategy to ultium and I got my old horse back plus 100 lbs. Just personal experiences though, and my other options at school were Strategy, a LS feed or purina senior. Sounds like fibergized might be a good feed as well. If you can I would add beet pulp or stabilized rice bran.

Honestly, you shouldn't need to add beet pulp with Fibergized. All the horses I had on beet pulp and a crap locally milled feed when I took over management of this barn, came off the beet pulp and haven't needed it since. They're all also eating far, far less than they were. Granted, they were on a very low quality feed, not Ultium, and, really, you shouldn't HAVE to add beet pulp with a high quality, high fat/high fiber grain.

I grabbed a bag of Fibergized Omega this weekend and OMG does it smell yummy. I was tempted to eat it! The gelding loves it and licked his feeder clean. Hopefully this will help to put the weight back on him.

COTH Barn Rats Clique!