Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Some days I wish we could click the green thumbs more than once on a particular post (and maybe get the red thumbs back...)

"Road racing is a different from motocross as, say
    saddleseat is different from dressage, or
    showjumping is from endurance."

^ This is a good analogy - having spectated at some moto & then sat in the ER several times (over the course of 3 years) waiting for one of "my" kids to be seen, admitted, get screwed back together, etc. I'd compare the MOTO to running Advanced. My "argument" w/this kid (he's a college kid) was that if he wanted a thrill he should take up eventing...at least the horse would have self preservation. We laugh over it now that the pins have been removed and the breaks healed up, etc. Def wasn't funny then...

1 members found this post helpful.

That is very sad for his family and friends and the whole racing community. I am sure they are as close knit as our equestrian communities and all feel the loss.
    I posted the link to the racing sisters (10 and 12) who compete in full marathons and other grueling races against adults because to me, that is way more dangerous to their future than a child eventing, snowboarding, racing bikes, etc. There is a certain assumed risk in all of those, but the pounding from running will have a long term effect on these kids' lives physically - and it is already having one on their childhoods.

I remember a pretty bad wreck as a kid (and still have the scar on my nose) from roller-skating in the middle of the road hanging on to my brother sitting on his skateboard getting towed by my other brother on his bike. It could have been worst but we were kids. Having fun. Living.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

2 members found this post helpful.

This is a tough one. I'm a trainer so obviously I believe horseback riding is a worthwhile activity. On the other hand I'm also a Mom. My son is my whole world, and I can't envision the horror of something happening to him. I'm introducing him to horses and riding, trying not to micromanage him here on the farm, but at the same time I know EXACTLY how dangerous this all is.

And it's really hard not to live in fear.

My parents were constantly horrified by the danger of horses, and I don't want to do that to him. But, after all the recent news stories I say a prayer every night he doesn't want to play football.

So I think the carpe diem philosophy is a tad glib. These are our children. But, of course, you don't want to raise them to be miserable, fearful and unadventurous. Tricky balance, for sure.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

4 members found this post helpful.

I have lost 2 friends to motocross racing. One was 19 and had brain injuries. The other was 24 and died of heat stroke. Also had a friend lose her 4 year old boy after being dragged by a donkey (they had a donkey instead of a pony) and he had his foot caught in the reins. Unfortunately this kind of stuff comes with the sport. I would put one of my kids on a dirt bike before I did a horse. I don't have kids, but I have 4 nieces, the oldest being 9, and I won't let her ride my horses. I probably won't let her ride one of mine until she is a teenager and I know she can handle them. I have thoroughbreds, not the kid type of horses.

I know what this feels like-I lost my oldest son at 15,he was revamping the shed for his reptiles,cuz Mom said'no more snakes under my bed.' I told him 'just string the wires,I'll hook them up'-he slipped and hung himself--he'd been on horses since he was 3,played baseball,basketball,football,been in fights--wanted a small motorcycle-how much bubble wrap do you put on your kids'?

4 members found this post helpful.

Oh Zoma, I am so sorry for your loss. Clanter, you as well. I feel for those of you who have suffered the most awful loss - that of a child.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Quote Originally Posted by zoma View Post
    I know what this feels like-I lost my oldest son at 15,he was revamping the shed for his reptiles,cuz Mom said'no more snakes under my bed.' I told him 'just string the wires,I'll hook them up'-he slipped and hung himself--he'd been on horses since he was 3,played baseball,basketball,football,been in fights--wanted a small motorcycle-how much bubble wrap do you put on your kids'?
    Oh God, how terrible!
    Many hugs to you (all of you who have lost a child prematurely)

And there is this one story, that even though it has been many years, it still rips my heart out: The son is going to bed happy and healthy, to be found dead in the morning by his family.
    (COTHs own Evalee Hunter, who only a few short years after followed him after a tragic riding accident)

Zoma, many hugs for you, it makes me smile to think of your son having too many critters under his bed.

I work with a guy and his 7yo granddaughter races dirt bikes. She is the youngest in the family and absolutely fearless. Jerry said they have to watch so she isn't over faced. The kid doesn't know the meaning of the word "slow". His family never mention not letting the kids ride, they are passionate about their sport and are a safe as you can get on a bike. But accidents happen. You shouldn't live in fear.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    (COTHs own Evalee Hunter, who only a few short years after followed him after a tragic riding accident)
    That's BS. Non-horse/riding accident http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/evalee-hunter

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFarm View Post
    This is a tough one. I'm a trainer so obviously I believe horseback riding is a worthwhile activity. On the other hand I'm also a Mom. My son is my whole world, and I can't envision the horror of something happening to him. I'm introducing him to horses and riding, trying not to micromanage him here on the farm, but at the same time I know EXACTLY how dangerous this all is.

And it's really hard not to live in fear.

My parents were constantly horrified by the danger of horses, and I don't want to do that to him. But, after all the recent news stories I say a prayer every night he doesn't want to play football.

So I think the carpe diem philosophy is a tad glib. These are our children. But, of course, you don't want to raise them to be miserable, fearful and unadventurous. Tricky balance, for sure.
    Truth. All of it. Every word in this post.

I did not read all of the posts, and I will when I have time tomorrow, but I wanted to comment on something the author stated in his article.

He said, "In the end, what matters is that a 12-year-old boy is dead before he really started to live. And that’s tragic. "

This 12 yr old WAS living!

I am all for safety and taking precautions, but jeez. Of course I did grow up on a four letter word pony, my brother raced motocross from 6-15 yrs old, and my mom's favorite words were, "I told you so" when we were kids and did something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    That's BS. Non-horse/riding accident http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/evalee-hunter
    Ok, so I remembered wrong. sheesh. it's not the point, really.

The point was more that you can go to bed and not wake up.
    you can't play it safe in life.
    I mean, not all the way.

I've tried and failed to make up my own post in this thread for probably 3 hours.

I just don't know what to say. He was 12. That is so very young.

Some of my warmest memories are of the youngest and I riding and goofing off together on our horses. I would not trade those memories for anything. But if she had been 12 and died, I also might never forgive myself.

We cannot protect them forever, and in the end, all we have are our memories. The kids who will bury their parents will remember all the events their parents attended and how they were cheered on. The parents who have had their hearts broken will cherish the memories of their kids at these events.

Life is not an exact science, and we cannot know the future so we'd better enjoy today completely.

Hey,DLF,,I understand what you're sayin''I have 2 OTTTBs' and another former SH given to us,but when I tell Caine "it's a baby, he'll walk like he's walkin' on eggshells",given that, he don't like,"Drug Store Cowboys."My husband has your opinon,I can always stop the moter cycle,but I do counter him on this"your motercykcle,doesn't care about you"- on the other hand-My Caine has attacked dogs, other horses,slid under me,if for what ever reason I wasn't keepin' within the saddle-there is so much stuff that can happen around horses,I always figured,it was me telling my son "It's not IF' it's When you'll hurt around horses".

Thank You! My Mike would be 41, you get thru it, but,you still miss them, the thing is,what? Wrap them in bubble wrap?Sometimes you might think you're being a good and diligent parent, and then"shit happens!"