The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Durasole. One of my favorite products.
    friend of bar.ka

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post

Oil of Vitriol
    Pretty standard stuff on hoof threads around here, anyway!
    Now that's funny. And, I was thinkin' the same thing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    And that should bother me, why?

Hey Mary Ann, how 'ya doin'? You still down in Florida drinkin' sea water errr the koolaid? You do know that stuff will rot your brain and make you stoopid(sic)(er) don't ya'?
    Here's a shocker for you, I didn't get it from one of your quotable quotes.

I couldn't care less what you think or don't think. To paraphrase Mr. Stovall, 'You/what you think are as important to me as the sound of distant mouse flatulance"..

"Son of my loins" ROTFLMFAO!!!!
    I only have one son and he's never participated on any forum. If it's not worth the read to you, what are you doing responding to me? LOL

'Liar, Liar, pants on fire.' :: Regardless, even if true, its too bad for you. You might actuallyhave learned something.

WOW!, Show and Tell! Hang on a minute, my zipper's stuck. Ah, That's better......On second thought, (as I pull my zipper up) forget it. You've got nothing I care to see...lol
    Which theories might those be? Practice? Tools/toolbox? You might, had you the cognitive ability, have noticed that somewhere within my responses, I generally add the terminology, "YMMV' or 'IMO' or "IME", or "It Depends", or like verbage, as appropriate. That is rather different that what most if not all the dilettantes, yourself included, as a regular practice, do.

Hey, here's a quotable quote for you. I know who said it*, do you?

"We are all born ignorant but one must work hard to remain stupid"

Let me be the first to congratulate you. Your hard work has paid off.

Yeah, Mary Ann, you fit right in with some of that crowd.

*Benjamin Franklin. Bet you peeked, Mary Ann. LOL!

Look!^^ Rick! I know how to help you write a paragraph! You can quote yourself!

But it is still not worth my read. Nary a decent or useful thought in your post - except maybe that you exempt yourself from your rules of product mention on COTH.

So where pray tell did you get that Dilbert quote?
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Now that's funny. And, I was thinkin' the same thing myself.
    Did you google it yet???
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    Look!^^ Rick! I know how to help you write a paragraph!
    You, help me? LOL!!! Thanks for the levity.
    But it is still not worth my read.
    ROTFLMAO!!! Yet you read it anyway.........
    Nary a decent or useful thought in your post - except maybe that you exempt yourself from your rules of product mention on COTH.
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Did you perhaps fail to read my disclaimer? Fact is, that disclaimer is true and valid for any product I might mention on COTH or elsewhere.
    To be clear, I have no financial or fiduciary involvement with any product I mention or endorse here or elsewhere. Should the occasion ever arise that I do have a financial or fiduciary interest in any of the products or companies I mention or endorse, I will fully disclose that interest when I discuss that product or company.
    So where pray tell did you get that Dilbert quote?
    Why, from Tina, of course.

You, help me? LOL!!! Thanks for the levity.

ROTFLMAO!!! Yet you read it anyway.........

I have no idea what you are talking about. Did you perhaps fail to read my disclaimer? Fact is, that disclaimer is true and valid for any product I might mention on COTH or elsewhere.
    To be clear, I have no financial or fiduciary involvement with any product I mention or endorse here or elsewhere. Should the occasion ever arise that I do have a financial or fiduciary interest in any of the products or companies I mention or endorse, I will fully disclose that interest when I discuss that product or company.

Why, from Tina, of course.
    SO when folks say something works for them as I did - can you not get it in your head or "tool box" that it works for them?

ETA: WHere is Tina's credit?

SO when folks say something works for them as I did - can you not get it in your head or "tool box" that it works for them?
    Of course I can. Problem is the plural(or in this case, singular) of anecdote is not, data. I challenged you on your data/data base and also challenged the product's statement about its efficacy. I then provided a rationale based on anatomy and physics, that disproved the company's claim that their product, based on their example, penetrated the hoof. I further offered that the condition of your horse's hooves might well be the result of excellent farrier care. Now, should you desire to test the efficacy of the product you are touting, all you have to do is discontinue using the product and keep everything else you are doing with the horse (diet, hoofcare, exercise, housing, footing, etc) exactly the same as it was before you discontinued using the product. And, you will have to take before, during and after, photographs and keep scrupulous notes, on a daily basis, of what is being done, when it is being done, by whom it is being done, where it is being done, and what your observations of the proceedings are. And you need to compile that 'data' over a fairly longish period of time. That time frame being a minimum of one year. Extra credit: why one year? Alternatively, under the same conditions and time frame, you could apply the product to only one diagonal pair of hooves. Extra credit: Why a diagonal pair of hooves?

Out of curiosity, though the product instructions make no mention of it, do you apply the product to the sole and frog? If so, how long do you hold the hoof up after the application? When you put the hoof down, were you to immediately pick it up again, would anything be stuck to the sole/frog and/or would their be and indication on the ground of the product?
    ETA: WHere is Tina's credit?
    Where it belongs. Nowhere. That bother you? If so, perhaps you should report me to Scott Adams.....
    Last edited by Rick Burten; Mar. 15, 2013 at 08:18 PM.

The ingredients in the product I recommended in no way shape or form soften the foot - in fact they are widely used ingredients in real farrier land.

See for yourself:
    Ingredients
    Raw Linseed Oil - used in wood finishing, not by farriers.

Spirits of Turpentine - a solvent used in wood finishing, not by farriers.
    VENICE Turpentine is used by farriers in many hoof packing mixtures, but it is NOT on the list.

Pure Menhaden Oil - used in leather working.

Bees Wax - AHH yes farriers use this to quench their hot work tools when working in the fire!

Balsam of Fir - Commonly grouped as a species of "pine tree.'

Oil of Vitriol - sulfuric acid.

I started using this on a pastured horse who was wearing his hinds to a bit of a nub - and this is on sandy ground. Regularly using this product on his feet tuffened them up and pretty near eliminated the amount of wear on those hinds between farrier visits. We wanted to avoid shoes on his hinds and using this stuff was the winning ticket.
    Well if YOU use it and endorse it, then it must bee a good thing.

Do you happen to be a carpenter or a leather worker? 'cause I'm sure you are not a farrier now that you've posted this.

You certainly are entitled to believe it works for you. Just as real farriers are entitled to point out the erroneous suppositions behind your belief.

Short answer: Same care. Same caregiver. Same Farrier. Hind feet greatly improved with product. Even the shod feet mo better.

However the formaldehyde product mentioned by several was used to not so good a result. IMO when the foot became wet as "feets" do in this area it failed to perform as well as the product I am using.

And this product I mention does leave a residue which does not seem to pull moisture into the foot. However, with this product - especially right after application, moisture beads off the hoof wall. Kinda like a good oil or glycerine protects leather. Most other foot preps like Rainmaker unfortunately do soak the foot - specially in this climate. I think this one work best on the feet as it is pine oil based and not a cream or lotion.

Now before you bang out your next parsing quote hell - please google creams and lotions and give a thought about the climate and soil these horses deal with.

And goodness we all know turpentine has been in use for years and years. Turpentine is IMO the ingredient that is doing the "trick." Turpentine is a little hard to rinse off is it not? Not many microscopic critters live in the turpentine... Right? And the more we battle the little exfoliating critters the better.

And think about it - this isn't the only product from trees that works well on feet. Pine tar soaked oakum is used in farrier applications. And probably useful for the same reasons it is working so well for me and mine.

Not that this is a test - but here is extra credit for you: Can you respond without quoting my text?

Hooray for you if you do!

As an aside - have you ever participated in a formalized study?

LOL at your son.