The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Midsized/midrange barns in Calgary?

Life being what it is, I may be looking at a relocation to Calgary. Looking at reco's that came up here, I see a lot of very fancy A barns, with fancy A barn prices and well known trainers, I'm assuming because of the proximity to Spruce.

As lovely as those things are, that's not what I need

What I need:
    - WB sized stalls
    - solid and reliable care, turnout etc
    - Trainer with a solid dressage foundation, and can train/ride competently to 3'6", because that's where I'm going to top out. Must be good with opinionated mares. Someone with an eventing background would be great as long as they have solid technical skills.
    - Relaxed attitude in the barn - big, high stress barns are just not my thing!
    - Ideally no school, or if there is one, a small and well run program (no lesson mill type places).

Ideas?
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Oh, and an indoor. I keep hearing rumours it gets a smidge chilly at times in winter
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

What price range are you looking for for board prices?
    C-Horse with Rita is a less fancy barn for about 675 a month I believe. THe indoor is very very small, and I don't think Rita rides anymore but she has students to 3'6 I think.
    Carol Doty's place, Foxtrail Farms, is less fancy barn for about 750 I think a month for board. Indoor isn't huge but much bigger than Ritas. I believe she rides but her daughter rides some bigger jumpers/eq and probably does a lot of the schooling rides. I believe she has students to 3'6 plus her daughter who does bigger.
    For a really quiet barn, though more expensive at 975 a month, Andrea Harris' barn, Alpine Show Jumpers. She has a fair amount of students but only a few of them on her own property. She is great with flat work/dressage points. Indoor that's bigger than Foxtrail. Good care. Turn out for a good 7 hours a day, longer in the summer most of the time.
    I think Larissa with Jumpstart is still out of Derochie. Care was ok, though you did have to be aware of moldy hay at the time but that got better by the end of when we were there. Larissa would be the only trainer I would recommend out of there. Good sized indoor. I think board was 800. Was generally a good amount of turnout.

Thanks!!! I took a look through the site, and suspect they're all in range for what I need. I'm coming from Vancouver, BC and am used to paying $$$ so as long as I can keep it under $1k/month I'm ok... (although I love my little private barn where I am now, but there's no indoor, and I just don't see that working for us in Calgary...)

Hmmm.. I can't remember wether or not its in Calgary or Edmonton, but I've heard good things about Carousel Ridge, as well as Creekside/Landmark Farms.. Although, the latter may be a bit out of your price range, but the facility is incredible.. So something to look at. They both have websites.

Goodluck!
    Watermark aka "Cleo" - 5 year old Warmblood cross
    Foxtrot aka "Raven" - 5 year old Hanoverian
    Simon Says aka "Sprout" - 4 year old Welsh pony
    Canadian Eh

Ya most places around around 1000 for board though some have mandatory full training or such which can add more. Carousel ridge is Edmonton I believe but landmark is in Calgary. Wildwood board is 1000 with great facilities and riders up to 1.40m and you can take as little as a lesson a week. Has a smallesson group but they go Sundays and one other day a week I think.

Depending on which part of town you are going to be living, check out Alborak Stables. Well run, gorgeous facility (at least when I was there a number of years back) and access to trails which is a huge bonus. It was great for me living on the west side, but maybe a bit of a drive if you are living down south near Spruce.

There is also Willow Grove with Trish

and Teesdale with Christine.

PM me if you'd like more details
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Where you are living is a key point.. There are a ton of really nice places that fit your criteria but you are very correct, if you choose one that is within proximity of Spruce and Andersons the prices are higher.

There's actually a website you can check out and search stables by location/discipline etc
    www.findalbertastables.com

Lot's of good suggestions provided Actually though, I don't know of any hunter/jumper barns in and around Calgary that don't have an indoor arena. Some are small but you wouldn't be able to ride for about 6mths if they didn't have one! There's only actually one or two trainers that I would avoid at all costs, (pm me if you want to know).

As Ssporthorses said, where you are going to be living will be a huge factor in your decision making. While most barns are on the South side (same as Spruce Meadows) there are some good ones NW of the city. Also, what kinds of shows will you be wanting to attend. Some barns pack up and head south in winter others don't. Some are very competition focused and show pretty much all year others not so much. Lot's and lots to choose from and welcome, it's a great place to be a horse person!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Well, don't know where I'll be living yet, and to be honest, I'm more flexible with my accommodations than I am with my mare's

I'd be looking to attend Silver shows at most... out here I event, do schooling stuff at TBird (but not the rateds), and show jumpers at MREC (for those with Westcoast knowledge).

What about Black Whiskey, it's a small barn in the south. Not sure what they charge. I think Jenn Winkler is there, mostly dressage focus but I think she used to do some jumpers...
    Most of the barns these days are pretty big it seems, and all full too.

Or what about Brittany at Ridgeview Equestrian. I think she has an eventing background which might suit what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    Well, don't know where I'll be living yet, and to be honest, I'm more flexible with my accommodations than I am with my mare's
    What about work location? That could factor in as well.

Work location would be in the downtown core