The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Question How much notice do you give a BO or trainer? Spin-off of the boarding deposit thread.

I was taught that you give 30-days notice, even without a contract, as this allows people to plan ahead (fill your space, adjust to the loss of income, whatever). Even if you leave before the end of the 30 days, you pay for the 30 days after you gave notice. I was also taught to make sure that you have a place to go immediately if necessary when you give your notice, but that's another thread.

And that would be 30 days notice to both the BO and the trainer, if they weren't the same person. Or 30 days notice to the trainer if you're moving to another trainer at the same facility (not unusual in these parts with large boarding/training complexes.

Is this still the norm in all of your humble opinions? Or does it only apply if you have a contract that includes a notice time? It doesn't seem to be followed as universally as it once did, whether from ignorance or malice.
    The Evil Chem Prof

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    I was taught that you give 30-days notice, even without a contract, as this allows people to plan ahead (fill your space, adjust to the loss of income, whatever). Even if you leave before the end of the 30 days, you pay for the 30 days after you gave notice. I was also taught to make sure that you have a place to go immediately if necessary when you give your notice, but that's another thread.

And that would be 30 days notice to both the BO and the trainer, if they weren't the same person. Or 30 days notice to the trainer if you're moving to another trainer at the same facility (not unusual in these parts with large boarding/training complexes.

Is this still the norm in all of your humble opinions? Or does it only apply if you have a contract that includes a notice time? It doesn't seem to be followed as universally as it once did, whether from ignorance or malice.
    In my most recent setting, BO/trainer were the same person. I ended up moving my horse to another state, and it was only about a weeks notice. Not preferable, but trainer was ok with it. I was traveling very far to get there and not terribly happy about it, I'm also planning to move in a few months, so that was part of my reasoning as well. A great free-lease situation opened up for my horse and I jumped on it.

My last move was also bc I was changing states, but I told trainer months in advance. I have signed contracts with both, but have not needed to rely on them.

I recently left a barn after being there for only a few months - and didn't have a written contract. Paid for 30 days notice even though I left that same weekend. I prefer not to burn bridges if at all possible - it's just too small a community.

4 members found this post helpful.

I was at a barn my first winter back east and my TB mare was too wimpy with her bare feet to walk in the mud turnout lots. Mare had impaction colic twice due to inactivity, so when she stocked up on turnout in winter, I had to leave ASAP. Barn had contract and if you didn't give 30 days, they kept deposit. Deposit had been half of board at some point, but my contract had photocopied line through that and $100 deposit. I voluntarily paid difference between half board and $100, and left on 3rd day of month. BO went nuts only after I told her where I was moving, and took me to small claims court. I won, and found out she'd taken at least 2 others to court unsuccessfully in the past. She was very type A in the most crazy way. Very happy to get out of there - I'd avoided her ire, but being around her tantrums was wearing. And I still laugh when I see her ads posted - "tired of drama?". Um, if every barn you've tried is drama-filled, it might be you.... Though I tried to be nice, she was one bridge worth burning, and her reputation is better known than I'd thought.

1 members found this post helpful.

Month's notice or more, unless BO waves it off, as long as the boarding situation is ok (AKA, I don't feel my horse is in danger due to poor staff treatment or barn issues or neglect, then I would leave ASAP with no real notice)

boarding it's the norm to give a month's or 30 day notice to the boarding facility Don't know that the same would be expected for a trainer if the trainer was someone who came to the facility to teach / horse not under their care. Would also say that it would depend entirely on your relationship w/ the trainer and the reason(s) for moving on.

I have always given 30 days notice, except once. Contract or no contract.

30 days notice is the norm, but I've worked out two weeks notice twice (there was no contract); I was willing to stay the full 30 but it was worth asking as neither BO had an issue with me leaving sooner. My board was prorated so I didn't pay when I wasn't there.

My current barn has a contract and requires 45 days notice, which I was a bit surprised with but am fine with since they were up front about it.

When I moved barns I gave a month's notice to both the barn I was leaving and also to the barn that I was moving my horse to.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

The "norm" at my barn (I am the BO/trainer) is that my clients tell me they are moving as soon as they know they are moving whether it is months away or less.

Most recent departure was a few days less than 30 days as they had an opportunity come up that was aided by their being able to leave my barn early. They offered to pay the extra days to make it a full 30 days notice.

Conversely I have another horse I know is leaving end of April...they told me last month, so about 3 months notice.

It occurs to me though that I should start acting bat shit crazy when people give me notice so people start pay me the 30 days right when they leave so they don't risk my wrath...then I could get the extra $$ without the work....stupid stupid me.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

I give notice, and pay up through the end of the following month.
    So not just 30 days, but if I give notice Jan 3 then paying up through Feb 28.

Unless the conduct of the BO is COMPLETELY egregious (ie, drunken threats), or the BO is for some reason ok with less if they have a waitlist anyway or need the stall for a personal horse or whatever.

When I changed barns I gave a month's notice to both the BO and trainer and stayed at the barn until the end of the 30 days. I agree with nevertoolate that you should avoid burning bridges if possible. It was initially awkward running into my old BO and trainer at shows, but since then we've been on good terms and are friendly with each other.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

You guys are making me feel a bit less like a relic of a bygone era.
    The Evil Chem Prof

At least in regards to trainers, there may be situations where giving a 30 day notice would not be required or appropriate. If the trainer was not providing the agreed upon services or the trainer was doing something unethical, then leaving on short notice may be appropriate. I always believe you should be honest to why you are leaving with a face to face meeting. I've have known some who have snuck away to avoid confrontation. Most barns have a contract requiring 30 days notice and/or require first and last months board when you first move in. I have not known a trainer who has such a contract in place. At every place I have boarded my horse, the barn owner and trainer are separate people. At the larger places, there may be more than one trainer. At those places I have yet to see someone give a trainer 30 days notice as usually they are very unhappy with the service they are receiving and need to make a change right away.

As a boarder and a small stable owner a 30 day regardless is the right thing to do. However, if horse needs to leave during that 30 days, as long at board is paid horse can leave. I have done that and forfeited my board. Once was due to horses being too thin. The stable manager even said I didn't need to give a 30 day because of the situation. I did leave with board credit. I would have felt bad otherwise.

I know how it feels to have someone leave with a few days notice and owing board. Feed I fed the horse etc.

I think 30 days should be the norm and/or a conversation with barn owners, managers and trainers.

I look at it kind of like an apartment situation - the stall would or could be filled with another boarder and the notice allows for the owner to fill the slot in the 30 days and no loss of income.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I am a small barn owner and I have gotten 30 days notice and two times a days notice but they had been paid up for the month. I

I have been a boarder and given a months notice but one barn the owner was a freaking nut wouldnt feed my horse his grain or turn him out so I left 2 weeks early. Luckily the other barn had no problem with me coming in early....
    My Answered Prayers**Daisy
    Willing to Please - Hero 5/10/87-7/14/09 My Life will never be the same

i just did this. i emailed my notice on feb 22nd that i'd be leaving by the end of the month and quite possibly the next day, and that i'd be paying a month's board in lieu of notice. Then showed up the next day with the trailer, left my month's board and left. Ended up double paying a month, but i couldnt see myself going back to the first barn knowing i was leaving....way to awkward...