The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Time for spring shots - what is everyone using?

I do my own immunizations. So wondering where you buy yours and who has the best price. I do know our local vets use the 6 in 1 from intervet.

Whatever my vet brings with him. But if I had to purchase, I generally prefer to use "local" like the TSC if the weather is warm to avoid the vaccine getting exposed to higher temps than it ought to. If I'm buying in the winter I go with Jeffers or Valley Vet. But it's been years since I've done my own, other than the odd tetanus booster.
    Click here before you buy.

Just had shots shipped from United Equine. Temps are cold enough outside that I did not pay for the 2cd day air.

They came 2-3 days ship time with the ice packs still partially frozen!

I ordered the Prestige V w/ WNV. $41.95 loaded

I would love to separate them and give less at a time but I can't get the combinations I need that way and it's just too expensive.

I save my invoice and the card in the wrap for proof.

Why does DW feel the compulsive need to post?? 34,610 and counting. She's not really contributing to the question/answer.

3 members found this post helpful.

Vet comes on the 21st to give shots. I'll see what brand he's using of EEE/WEE/VEE, west nile, tetanus, etc. I know he uses rabvac for rabies vaccine.

I do my own vaccinations as well and spread them out avoiding combos as much as possible. I will not use any Fort Dodge product. I'm in AZ so there are some vaccines that we dont generally have a need to give. I buy the preloaded syringes and for West Nile I use Vetera, for EWE & Tetnus I use Encevac 3 Way. I have used EquiRab for rabies. I don't do flu/rhino. I'm not confident giving an intranasal vaccine so I have the vet do strangles.

1 members found this post helpful.

Why does babecakes feel the need to count my posts? I gave an answer: I buy vaccines from a local store in the summer to avoid shipping in the heat, and from one of two places on line in the cold weather. If I buy vaccines. WTF?

5 members found this post helpful.

34,611, woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post

Why does DW feel the compulsive need to post?? 34,610 and counting. She's not really contributing to the question/answer.
    I like it when DW posts. I feel that DW has given me excellent advice in the past

Where I am in Maryland, we do the six way plus West Nile and Potomac Horse Fever. The last barn where I boarded we had to get the intranasal strangles vaccine (which was done by the vet along with the rabies and coggins). When I was ordering my own I think I went through Heartland. I have also purchased them at Tractor Supply.

I order both my own vaccines plus that for a very large farm from either Jeffer's or Heartland. They always come overnight and the packs are always still frozen. I use the Calvenza Flu/ Rhino, the Fort Dodge EWT- WN, and I can't remember the name on the Botulism or Potomac. I spread them out and never give more than 2 shots at once. My vet does rabies for me when she draws their coggins.

A word of caution for those using Tractor Supply for purchasing vaccines- I've have friends who do/did work for TSC and all of them have said not to buy vaccines from there because they are often stored improperly and/or the display fridges are left open by customers who don't shut them.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Ahhhh! So that's why they lock them around here!! I always wondered if they thought people would steal vaccine. I bet it's because of people not shutting the door correctly, thanks for the answer to my question I never asked aloud!
    Kerri

1 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

She was contributing.

But now I feel the need to post just to get my count up by one. I might have said where I bought my shots/what I gave, but screw it, now that I know you are the princess of post counts, consider this one more. [who doesn't miss the old rolly eye icon?]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

4 members found this post helpful.

Well, drat. I used to have a lot of posts, but a couple of things happened.

I set riding goals, and spend a lot more time on the horse than on the computer when at home, then I ended up in jobs without internet access, so I had to find other ways to waste time at work.

I used to order my vaccines, but now my vet's practice has reasonably priced specials on shots, and I'll pay them the 25% or so mark up. When it was a 100% or higher markup, I ordered. For 25%, I'll happily pay my vet and the farm call. I do like him to see my ponies a couple of times a year.

I've used most brands, and adverse reactions are rare. The only time I did have one, it was rabies. In all 4 horses.

I like it when Deltawave posts.

Here's a life lesson: you cannot control other people, all you can control is your own responses to them. It is your choice to be bothered (or not) by some posters.

3 members found this post helpful.

Keep on posting Deltawave.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

http://www.unitedvetequine.com/default.asp
    VEWT combo. Rabies. WNV.
    I don't give them all in one day; I only give them in the back of the thigh (midway between point-of-butt and stifle), I alternate legs, I try to ride a bit afterwards, and I've never had a reaction in 20 years.

I am getting vaccine from Santa Cruz Biotechnology. They
    have choices from most of the major companies at good
    prices and their service is excellent. I am buying for a
    couple dozen horses so making the minimum for free shipping is easy. Santa Cruz packs meticulously in heavily
    insulated containers. They send emails confirming the
    order, another informing of shipment and a third notifying
    of delivery (so, if ever I have not received the order, I can
    quickly start checking where it is). If only they could supply
    rabies vaccine, I'd be able to order everything I need from
    one source.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I use Heartland and have the vaccines shipped overnight. My neighbors get together and place one big order from Heartland. Then, we split the costs of the overnight shipping. I gave Vetera EWT, West Nile, about a week ago. I gave Rhinommune a few days ago. My plan is to give Potomac Fever/rabies sometime in the next few days. I plan to send blood off foe a strep equi/strangles titer before deciding if I am giving intranasal strangles vaccine this year. Then, flu vaccine and a Potomac Fever booster vaccine in July will complete our vaccines for the year. We live about1/2 mile from the Potomac River, so we give PHF vaccine twice a year.

Why would you be snarky to someone that never gets involved in the trainwreck threads, and is generally helpful and I've never seen be confrontational?

7 members found this post helpful.

So someone smartly started a thread titled 'what spring shots are you using' to be more direct to getting answers to the question posed rather than 'oh I use my vet.' The OP here asked what are you using? not what are you doing?

Do those of you who split your shots up doing them yourself end up paying more that way? It seems to add up to quite a bit more to me.

My vet knows I order and do my own shots. He told me to booster the rhino this year because of the outbreak.