The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What happened to the 1978 New Zealand horses?

I was watching the WEG 1978 video on Eventing Nation
    and heard that New Zealand riders sold their horses
    after the games to pay for their expenses. Does anyone
    know the history of those horses after the 1978 games?
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

1 members found this post helpful.

All, or almost all,sold because the quarantine to return to NZ and AUS were/are too expensive. The team members knew this in advance.

FYI in 1978 Plumb rode Laurenson, who was purchased from IIRC the Australians after the 1976 Olympics.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    FYI in 1978 Plumb rode Laurenson, who was purchased from IIRC the Australians after the 1976 Olympics.
    Yup, Australians. Same reason-- too expensive to return horses home after the Games.

I wonder if we found out the names of the horses if we could figure out where they all went. Maybe they went to some other top barns to show (I would think).

Well that would suck. I know upper level horses change hands all the time, but still it would've been hard going into the games knowing that it would be your last ride on that horse.

David and Lucinda Green bought one.....Bandolier. He was renamed Mairangi Bay. He was competed by David after that and I think was ridden in the 82 world championships for AUS. I think Topic was sold to someone in the US.

Then did I hear correctly that Laurenson was a Waler? (which if purchased from the Aussies might make sense)

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Then did I hear correctly that Laurenson was a Waler? (which if purchased from the Aussies might make sense)

Wasn't he announced as such in the first vet inspection?

I am just about positive all of those horses are long gone. They were competition age in 1978. They would have been old in the 90's. It's noble concern but there were good reasons for the long quarantine and isolation requirement -- they were protecting an entire country full of horses from disease. The riders understood this long before they put the horses on the plane.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

There is some references to this in Mark Todd's book, So Far So Good. His horse was sold as a hunter, I think. One to Lucinda Green.

In the early 1980's I worked at a barn in Chester Springs, PA for a woman whom had helped the NZ team get situated in the US before they went to KY.
    After the WEG, one of the NZ grooms stayed in the States to run this woman's barn. I was fortunate to work there.
    I heard all sorts of wild and wooly stories about how the NZ team had patched together a falling down barn, the transportation issues, etc.
    During my time at the barn under this NZ manager, I learned what an "Australian grooming" was. (just brush where the saddle goes, get on, and ride).
    We got to have dressage lessons with Lockie Richards when he would stop in from wherever he was in the world. He was amazing, calm, focused. He used to do tai chi in the ring as we were warming up. No matter how goofy your horse would get, Lockie would say, "Yah, so lets just ride forward..." as you were spining past a spooky tractor/plastic bag flapping in the breeze. And we would.
    Barn manager was the same way, and you learned quickly not to vocalize trite excuses, or say "I can't" or "my horse won't..." Manager was a heck of a rider, herself. They were the real life version of "Just Do It" before Nike ever coined the phrase.
    At one point, Mark Todd stopped back to visit and brought one of his newly acquired medals to show everyone...I, unfortunately, was not there that day. But I thought that was amazingly nice of him to do this.
    In any event, I did indeed hear how the NZ horses had not shipped home due to finances. But finances were tight the entire time, and it is a wonder they pulled off the trip, and the competitions in the States, at all. Their story would make a great movie.

8 members found this post helpful.

Calling Duck--Do you remember the names of the NZ horses? I seem to recall that, after the WEG, one of our riding club members bought either a NZ or Aussie horse & brought him out to California. Kind of a small chestnut fellow.
    Cindy

Hi, Cindy, I do not. They were all long gone by the time I showed up. Just the riders' first names were familiar to me from the stories that were told.

CD--what a great story, thanks for sharing..."Australian Grooming" indeed!!

Quote Originally Posted by cindywilson View Post
    Calling Duck--Do you remember the names of the NZ horses? I seem to recall that, after the WEG, one of our riding club members bought either a NZ or Aussie horse & brought him out to California. Kind of a small chestnut fellow.
    Cindy

I believe that could have been Topic.

Snoopy, You know, that sounds right. (But then I'm old and it was a long time ago.) Neat little guy, a little hot, but jumped around for her.

Quote Originally Posted by cindywilson View Post
    Snoopy, You know, that sounds right. (But then I'm old and it was a long time ago.) Neat little guy, a little hot, but jumped around for her.
    Cindy, if the lady's name was Joren then yes it was Topic. She is now an artist/sculptor in Oregon.

Snoopy--Right. Joren Traveller. She was an excellent rider.

Didn't Cathy Jones Forsburg once ride (back in the mid to late 80s), one of Mark Todd's former advanced horses? Is it possible that he would have been from the 78 world's? I think the horse was Felix....she told me that she rode in a clinic with Toddy and he was amazed the horse was still around at his age & said he was just as bad/naughty as when he was young.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

From Mark Todds autobiog -

Top Hunter - Mark Todd - sold to the Italians
    Topic - Carol Harrison - went to California
    Bandolier - Joanne Bridgman - Sold to Lucinda Green
    Vladivostock - Mary Hamilton
    Arranshar - Mary Hamilton
    Never Dwell - Nicoli Fife
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.