The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stranded in Highway Traffic for 30 Hours With Horses

Ran out of water and hay! Are you prepared for this kind of emergency when you travel with horses?

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/compe...91/316176.html
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

That sucks, but my greatest fear is being stuck in the heat.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

1 members found this post helpful.

Maybe a weather check before leaving would have been a good idea ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Wow! 30 hours! That is insane!

I usually try to travel with at least enough hay to get through an extra day if needed. The water would be a little more difficult, depending on your trailer. Fortuantely, it wasn't the heat of summer.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Maybe a weather check before leaving would have been a good idea ?
    Yeah I agree, unless maybe it was one of those really fast moving snow storms that just shut down the autoroute. Thats a really frequented and congested Autoroute to begin with. I would have done a weather check and elected to lay up south of Limoges (center of France) but if it wasn't forcasted then who could know?? We have the same problems here transporting south to north. I have to say though that the French Autoroute authorites are probably not going to care about horses or livestock in general in this situation and one needs to definately know that when transporting in bad weather over there!! You barely get help when you're transporting horses and you have an unforseen truck problem. Ask me how I know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    That sucks, but my greatest fear is being stuck in the heat.
    Having horses in the trailer when it is hot always makes me extra edgy (horses in trailers make me edgy). We were coming out of a parking lot after a parade on a hot day, we had to wait about 5 minutes b/f we had space to pull out. I was flipping out the whole time, wondering if I should go and dump water on their heads...

So, I make up nightmares where stuff like this traffic stranding happens. Good times. At some point, wonder if I would just saddle up & ride home

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Ran out of water and hay! Are you prepared for this kind of emergency when you travel with horses?

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/compe...91/316176.html
    I emailed my friend who lives in Calais in northern France near the "chunnel" crossing into Britain. She says it is wicked cold with snow and ice and warnings are everywhere. Authorites where very slow in responding to stranded motorists, power outages, etc... The government is taking much deserved critisism for their response. Its been like this for a few days now.
    Yeah I would have stayed in Spain or southern France with horses...

I got stuck in traffic with horses in August in SC during a hurricane evacuation. Our plan was to travel at night to avoid the traffic and heat but night turned into day. We brought lots of water and hay and left all of the doors on the trailer open (we were stopped) to get some breeze moving through. It sucked but the horses were fine.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I worry about the heat down here. I would unload and graze them if I had to. Our horses are gentle and easy to handle (for us, anyway). No way in hell would I leave them on a trailer in the Florida heat in the summer.

Oh, and I carry water and buckets.

When we hauling a lot cross country we found that by taking our refuel stops at the larger truck stops the big rig drivers befriended us.

We usually unload the gang to walk them around some, never failing to attract several drivers who would come over to see/touch the horses.

Once back on the road, the big rigs just kept a watchful eye out for as we travel with them.

3 members found this post helpful.

I was driving up to Newport RI from Virgina (stationed up there for USN training for 6 months) and I stopped for fuel in a bad area of CT (I had no idea until I got off the interstate, but I needed gas). These tough looking kids walked up and asked what was in the trailer. One kid even asked if I had a cow, LOL! I opened up the door and introduced them to both horses. I passed treats out and the horses did their charm work. It didn't take long before these street wise kids dropped the tough exterior and laughed and petted the horses. It was neat to see them look like normal happy kids. The low income housing was right across the street. I did not look like a nice place to live. I'm happy I brought a nice moment into their lives.

9 members found this post helpful.

I' ve posted before about the trailering safety seminar I went to years ago and one of the things the vet said (it was a vet who did the seminar) was to always have water on hand.. It amazes me that some people trailer w/o water as their thinking is they're stabling and there'll be water there... well there might not be water if you're stuck on the highway for several hours on a hot summer day (or if you need water because of an injury) 30 hours is crazy long to be stuck on the road in snow... and I thought being stuck for several hours in DC was bad

My daughter's six horse gooseneck was purchased second hand. She took it to a travel trailer and RV place, had them measure things, and install a nice sized plastic tank on the front of the trailer under the gooseneck part, you can still let the tailgate up and down, hook up, etc. You fill it from the top with a garden hose, and there is a simple toggle on the bottom. She flushes it every time she hauls, so the water is fresh, plus what they're accustomed to drinking. If it is cold, then she fills with fairly hot water.

It was forecast but truly it covered most of the country.
    Scroll down to watch the video
    http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-fra...sM192fxS6SA5aK

Of course, the Northwest, by the Channel, hardly ever has snow... nobody has winter tires... It does not take much to get everything stopped! The trains and planes were stuck too. They did not get feet of snow... just a few cm! and then... ice!

I would not expect the police/authorities to help a trailer with horses in a snow storm... . even here!

I've always wondered why air conditioning wasn't offered in smaller trailers for those in the south, and for us up north where you can get stuck on the blazing summer heat on concrete for hours trying to cross major bridges. At least in the winter they have the warmth of their fellow horses to keep them toasty.

Been there, done that on an emergency trip from Maryland to Cornell in New York. An itty-bitty ice storm outside Wilkes-Barre, PA, stopped things on I-83. Ever gone sliding on a curved, downhill exit ramp with a 2H GN? Not a fun thing after several hours of sitting in traffic. We made it to a Holiday Inn, parked the trailer in their lot, and got a room. The horse stayed in the trailer overnight, snuggled up with the hay and water I always carry. While I don't usually carry enough for a 30 hour delay, I am good for 18-24 in most cases.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Whew. Even tho I don't haul long distance, I ALWAYS carry 3, 7-gallon Aquatainers with me and a full bale of hay.

Fortunately for me, even in the south, being stuck in the heat wouldn't be that bad since I have open stock sides on my trailer but that water would still be critical. Hmmmm, I may get 2 more Aquatainers
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Wow, how scary. I hauled my horse for the very first time last year to a show 3 hours away. I had two five gallon covered buckets of water and a bale and a half of hay even for that short trip. I think I need to google "Aquatainers."
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    I' ve posted before about the trailering safety seminar I went to years ago and one of the things the vet said (it was a vet who did the seminar) was to always have water on hand.. It amazes me that some people trailer w/o water as their thinking is they're stabling and there'll be water there... well there might not be water if you're stuck on the highway for several hours on a hot summer day (or if you need water because of an injury) 30 hours is crazy long to be stuck on the road in snow... and I thought being stuck for several hours in DC was bad
    We always trailer with water, because the water where we are going tastes different. Our ponies rarely drink while on the road, but they are always happy to have a bucket of "home" water when we get there. By the second day they are fine with the "away" water. It's always good to have emergency water on hand as well. We pack extra hay and grain too.