The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Broad Brush lines for sport? Pedigree thoughts

I've done some searches on Broad Brush and the comments are generally pretty good for Broad Brush lines in sporthorses, but I'd still like to pick the brain of our COTH TB pedigree buffs anyway.

My mare is booked to this son of Broad Brush - Gold Brush - for this season. http://www.pedigreequery.com/gold+brush
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I know we've had discussion about Include (who is by Broad Brush) as a sire, and I think the consensus has been positive for sport. Perhaps a search would turn up those discussions?

Also love that the stallion you've bred to has Umidwar just off the page. Viney has certainly posted about him before. Super influence for sport. And you've got Red God, who was the sire of Blushing Groom

I love the Broad Brush line. They are nice to work with and usually have great front ends (broad chests, good shoulders, etc.). My only experience with them is racing, I've never used any for sport, however I'd be willing to bet they would do well. They are one of the tougher lines soundness wise IMO.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

I love Broad Brush. I have one of his daughters, and just as Angelico says, her shoulders and front are fabulous. She is tremendously deep through the chest, broad as well, and has a lot of bone in her legs. Very good, substantial feet. She has the sweetest personality of all my horses -- curious, intelligent, and very kind. Like the Haskins story about her sire, she has a big appetite:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse...rby-trail.aspx

Also, about Broad Brush, have you read this?
    http://www.reines-de-course.com/broad_brush.htm

In addition to his more famous and/or successful offspring at American tracks such as Concern, Include, Farda Amiga, Mongoose, Best of Luck, and the ill-fated Quest Star, he has several successful progeny which have raced in Japan, including Nobo True (raced 88 times!), Broad Appeal, and Dali Karano Tegami.

If you browse the progeny page on pedigreequery.com, you will notice how many of his get have had long racing careers. This is true of his second generation descendants as well. Multiple G1 winner Richards Kid is still racing at the age of eight, as is his nine-year-old brother, the hurdler Eagle Beagle -- not exactly scientific with just two examples, but I'm sure I could find more.

As for hurdlers and steeplechasers, Broad Brush has an outstanding grandson in Good Night Shirt, by Concern. Good Night Shirt was twice the Eclipse Award winning Steeplechaser.

Big Brush, a son of Broad Brush, raced around thirty times (I roughly counted his races using the Equibase and Central Entry sites which have different races listed). He raced from 1999 to 2005 and set a course record in a 2 1/4 mile race over hurdles at Fair Hill in 2002. I would love to know where he is today, if he is still living:
    http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbP...try=USA&race=9

If you hear of other offspring or descendants of Broad Brush who are doing well in steeplechase or eventing, please post them. I would love to hear about them.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Of course it may not mean much, but Hay Patcher's tail female goes back to Dangerous Dame, which is also the damline for Oscar, an Irish National Hunt sire.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire