The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_007 View Post
    I am pretty sure it woulod be impossible to get fresh semen shipped from the states... I tried looking into getting frozen semen from a GOV auction and it was crazy expensive. Although you could be right, depending on where in canada it may be possible to get fresh shipped.

I dont want to do live cover, Id prefer to avoid shipping my mare anywhere etc... Fresh is just way easier for everyone I think and I would have no problem picking it up myself if it was within reasonable distance.
    Frozen is crazy expensive (I've had that shipped as well) Fresh can ship all over and prices are nothing like frozen shipping. Just seems a shame to limit yourself to a narrow geography. Are you only thinking of those within a few hours so you can drive and pick-up?. There are other Irish stallions in Canada that might fit.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Vic, first of all thank you very much for considering A Fine Romance for your mare, and for your kind comments about him.
    Please be assured, I really like your mare, and she is exactly the kind of mare I like to see bred to AFR.

As I said to you, I am happy to assist you in any way I can with your stallion selection.
    I am in a similar situation as you are, looking for a Cdn-based stallion for my full TB AFR daughter.
    Of the Ont TB stallions, I have always been an admirer of Rather Well.
    For pedigree geeks, it is interesting to know that they have some similarities - RW's grandsire is Raja Baba (by Bold Ruler); Raja Baba is a 1/2 brother to AFR's granddam Gay Missile. His sire Brave Shot (GB) is by the Bold Ruler son Bold Bidder.
    I also really like his dam sire, Avie's Copy, and have a mare here whose damsire is AC also, in foal to AFR.
    Another TB stallion who I like, and who I think has been underused is Yellow Creek - he is a big, handsome horse with an interesting ND/MrP-free pedigree, and he is known to sire horses with jump. Unfortunately he is quite elderly now, and may no longer be breeding. I have two YC mares in foal to AFR and I am really looking forward to these babies.

There is no other sport-TB in Ontario - I am aware of - who has the conformation, pedigree or progeny performance that I want for my mare.

Of the non-TBs here are a couple to consider.
    Steeped in Luck, RID. I love this horse, and bred to TBs he is producing some very nice individuals who are just starting their performance careers.

Viva Voltaire. He had two offspring compete in the PanAms in dressage last year. one of them out of an AFR daughter - and from what I hear he can jump too.

I second the Ferme Beaulieu stallions, there are a couple I really like. A full TB AFR daughter (eventer-turned- jumper) was bred to one of them last year.

VDL Windsor H - by Indoctro out of an Ahorn mare. He is a very good jumper, a good mover, and quite refined, with an excellent temperament.
    I bred my AFR daughter to him last year-
    He doesn't have any TB blood, so this is a gamble, but I am hoping the TB side of the family is dominant.

All of these stallions are within driving distance for you to go see and judge for yourself whether they would suit your mare and your breeding goals. They may also have offspring available to see out of mares like yours.

New to Canada, out in Manitoba, is Cathalido, a very nice Holsteiner, and he does have some TB blood.

Shipping fresh semen within Canada (or Canada to the US) is simple and quick. You would get it the same day by air, or next morning by FedEx.
    Fresh semen from the US is more problematic, and expensive, due to CEM restrictions.

Some more stallions to think about and consider? Portland (in Alberta I think) and Dreamscape's horses in BC. Jennifer has some lovely ones, and one in particular to have a look at for your mare is Novalis. Another handsome one is Bon Balou. He is beautiful and an amazing jumper.

None of these horse have much or any TB blood up close and that is a drawback in my own wish list, but all are worth considering I think.
    IIRC all are approved CSHA which would simplify your registration issues.

Best of luck, and if I can be of any assistance or you just want to bounce ideas off me, please give me a call.

Thanks again, Gail.
    Last edited by Fred; Mar. 14, 2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: typo
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I saw a lovely filly by Rather Well who looked to be a very nice improvement on the dam--would certainly consider him a potential.

For TBs, Adena Springs Canada has a couple interesting stallions:

Mast Track

Musketier

Certainly worth a look, although they might be live cover only.

There is also Lanciano in Alberta. Harvey Cole will collect him to ship, I believe.

Thank you so much Gail I really appreciate your opinion of tb sires, (and the compliment to my mare) since obviously you have seen many bred over the last few years! I really can't help but be a bit heartbroken that I won't get AFR baby, but I guess thats life

I forgot about yellow creek, I will email them and see if they are still offering him as stud... His website has fee's from 2008 though... not looking good lol

When I was attempting to buy from the GOV auctions I looked into shipping and it seemed to be really a gamble with shipping from the states... And the vet I was using at the time was being really wishy-washy with how they breed with AI and it just felt like a really expensive gamble I was not willing to make. I am only experienced with love cover breeding from working in the racehorse world.

Simkie- yes, all the tb sires breeding for racing are live cover only, and they tend to cost alot more then a sire that does fresh/frozen semen. Even some of the top rated german imported stallions cost less to breed to then the race-breeding tbs. Although I suspect stud fee's for them will go down with the closing of tracks etc.
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

I really like the Dreamscape Farm stallion Checkmate as a potential sire of eventers, and Jennifer is fantastic to deal with.

I like Yellow Creek too...

Also as I have mentioned before... Tagaelen http://www.tagaelen.webs.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd definitely consider Rather Well and Yellow Creek.

I've seen a few really really neat horses by Yellow Creek, in particular, when he has been bred to quality mares.

Have you contacted Fred? She may have a waiting list ... I'd hate to settle for less if I had my heart set on a certain horse.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Yes I did contact Gail and it does not sound like it will happen for us for whatever circumstances there are. Since the mare I am breeding is 18 this year I won't be able to wait either. It's disappointing because I know the foal would be exactly what I want no question AFR and my mare are the build and conformation I want exactly so there would be very little gamble.

Cest la vie, looks like its beyond my control so no worries.

I will look into yellow creek though... I do like the looks of him
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I saw a lovely filly by Rather Well who looked to be a very nice improvement on the dam--would certainly consider him a potential.

For TBs, Adena Springs Canada has a couple interesting stallions:

Mast Track

Musketier

Certainly worth a look, although they might be live cover only.

There is also Lanciano in Alberta. Harvey Cole will collect him to ship, I believe.
    Mast Track does look interesting. $2500 for 2013 is not bad at all for a TB standing for racing. I think there are some very nice Mizzen Mast OTTB's out there in the sport horse world. The grey filly on the recent Retired Racehorse Training Project is a Mizzen Mast and she's lovely. Less bone than Mast Track, but very nice jump.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    Mast Track does look interesting. $2500 for 2013 is not bad at all for a TB standing for racing. I think there are some very nice Mizzen Mast OTTB's out there in the sport horse world. The grey filly on the recent Retired Racehorse Training Project is a Mizzen Mast and she's lovely. Less bone than Mast Track, but very nice jump.
    I wonder, too, if they might discount if the OP were willing to breed after the TB rush? They might even be willing to do a straight discount--he only bred 28 mares last year. That's not exactly a full book.

I have always liked the Mizzen Mast get that I've seen. Lovely horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Backstage View Post
    I've seen a few really really neat horses by Yellow Creek, in particular, when he has been bred to quality mares.
    I agree, Backstage. I think Yellow Creek has been seriously underutilized, and under appreciated.
    I think anyone would be proud to have either of the two mares I have here, they are beautiful, well conformed and can jump - and I am REALLY looking forward to their foals by A Fine Romance.
    Last edited by Fred; Mar. 15, 2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I agree, Backstage. I think Yellow Creek has been seriously underutilized, and under appreciated.
    I think anyone would be proud to have either of the two mares I have here, they are beautiful, well conformed and can jump - and I am REALLY looking forward to their foals by A Fine Romance.
    Oh that would be a nice mix

If it does not have to be in Canada or a Tb how about Windfall? I have heard that his offspring are very nice. He himself evented at the top levels too and his dressage was amazing....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

It's has to be in Ontario the CEM restrictions are too big of a pain to deal with.

Fred- I wouldn't mind seeing pics of the yellow creek mares if you have any? I would definately be interested in seeing their foals as well

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Did want to point out that neither Yellow Creek or Rather Well are in the database that I use to find FEI level horses. That doesn't mean that they don't have FEI descendants; it does mean that owners didn't list them as sire or the database did not pick them up, if (for example) they didn't finish. And the database does not track national competitions at any level.

Does the Canadian version of USEA or USEF have any sort of searchable database at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_007 View Post
    It's has to be in Ontario the CEM restrictions are too big of a pain to deal with.

Fred- I wouldn't mind seeing pics of the yellow creek mares if you have any? I would definately be interested in seeing their foals as well
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Has anyone thought about crossing with Coconut Grove? I know he is gone but I am sure they have frozen semen... If a sport horse is what is desired then AI is okay.. I believe he is approved by many WB registries...
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Oh that would be a nice mix
    Thank you Jealoushe. I think so too. Fingers crossed for safe foalings.

It is important to me to try to preserve the old TB bloodlines, both horses are older now, and Yellow Creek has old lines, as does AFR (who was the last foal of an old mare, and the second to last crop of an older stallion).
    The resulting foals would have no ND, and no MrP.

I would love to get viney's opinions of the one cross.
    I will try to do an hypothetical mating....

Viney, sadly we have no pedigree info in the database of performance horses.
    Nothing is tracked and there is no way of knowing.
    All those horses, all those results - lost.

Vic - there are no CEM restrictions within Canada, so getting fresh cooled semen from any of the other provinces would not pose a problem at all.

If you are in my area, and would like to come for a visit anytime, I would love that!

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Did want to point out that neither Yellow Creek or Rather Well are in the database that I use to find FEI level horses. That doesn't mean that they don't have FEI descendants; it does mean that owners didn't list them as sire or the database did not pick them up, if (for example) they didn't finish. And the database does not track national competitions at any level.

Does the Canadian version of USEA or USEF have any sort of searchable database at all?

Thumbs up

Just another vote for Yellow Creek. Totally underutilized stallion in my opinion as well. I have not yet seen one that could not jump the moon and all seem to inherit his lovely kind and willing dispostion. The owner is not a "big name" breeder by any sense and so perhaps he has been used as a breeding stallion more locally here in Ontario rather then targeting the US market per se but there are many YC's around.....all wonderful, wonderful horses.