The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Canadian Eventing Sires for my Thoroughbred mare

Back at it again! I have not had good luck with finding a stallion for my mare. I had purchased a breeding and when I was ready to breed the stallion had died...

Now I am trying to find something that will be suitable for producing a nice eventer for me.

I really loved A Fine Romance and was unfortunately told they weren't taking anymore mares to breed this year.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/vicbrenan

I am not really sure how I can post photo's on this site of her though... But my personal website is http://jmcequineservices.webs.com/ There are some photos of us eventing there.
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Have a look at Rather Well.

I really like Gatsby.
    I am hoping to breed to him soon, but we keep having things come up that keep us from breeding this year.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Do you want or need a thoroughbred? Does the sire have to be in Canada or are you open to fresh from the US or frozen from anywhere in the world?

Since your mare is a TB, you can go with a non-TB sire and still make the usual blood percentage. If you're open to non-TBs, PM pegasusmom here and ask her about her current horse with Boyd Martin (if memory hasn't gone all wonky). Horse is a grandson of Cozy's Commander who was the sire of John William's Carrick. The son is named Cozymyn. Stallion owner is Doug Dean. From what i gather, the stallion owners are good to work with. Pegasusmom's horse is by the son, Cozymyn.
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/cozys+commander

You also might want to look at Strut The Stage, a racing TB stallion in Ontario at Sam-Son Farms. They don't seem to be against breeding for sport, and you might be able to get a deal on the stud fee if you ask.

http://samsonfarm.com/?page_id=27
    CoTH thread: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...31#post6606631

Maxxtrot is an eventer and TB retrainer. She might let you pick her brain.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Mar. 13, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Commander is dead, but our horse is by Cozymyn, one of Commander's sons. Commander also sired Carrick, Zydeco and several other upper level eventers. There are several Elvis children out and about at the moment - our horse Cold Harbor who is now with Dom Schramm, Topper with Anita Nemtin-Gilmour, and Jules with Steph Butts are three full brothers. Sweepea Dean is also by Elvis.

Doesn't specifically need to be thoroughbred... I would prefer it but i've looked at others too.

There was a deal on for a limited number of mare for a stallion named vantage by viva voltaire... but he hasn't done a whole lot yet.

I forgot about Rather Well! I did a clinic with Garry Roque and he loved my mare. Had nothing but great things to say and kept saying he'd love to have her as a broodmare.
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_007 View Post
    Doesn't specifically need to be thoroughbred... I would prefer it but i've looked at others too.

There was a deal on for a limited number of mare for a stallion named vantage by viva voltaire... but he hasn't done a whole lot yet.

I forgot about Rather Well! I did a clinic with Garry Roque and he loved my mare. Had nothing but great things to say and kept saying he'd love to have her as a broodmare.
    Rather Well has competed Advanced himself (which is important IMHO), and has a great temperament. And he has several offspring at the upper levels too. I don't know the details, but his owner posts here occasionally, so maybe she'll chime in.

Now I am trying to find something that will be suitable for producing a nice eventer for me.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/vicbrenan

http://jmcequineservices.webs.com/ There are some photos of us eventing there.

She seems like a lovely mare

Apologies in advance for going off topic here ... but how did things work out with her face lump?
    (& the Xterra & weight loss & possible surgery & ...)

(& in the same theme, do you still have her daughter & how is she doing re the old chip?... sorry to be invasive, but I always want to know how these things turn out )

Alto, thank you for asking!!!!!!!!

Vic is very healthy now. The xterra worked very well and she has been tumour free since. We were just out running and bucking across one of our fields this morning she definately doesn't act or feel old

Her daughter is doing great as well too... Ive just started her back to work (she got a bad abcess in the fall and I didnt ride over the winter because we all just stayed at home without an indoor). I won't be eventing her, I've decided to just keep her for dressage because it just doesn't seem worth the risk to her.

I have a mare by Grippee who has turned out incredibly nice. She has the most fantastic, willing, happy, temperament. I don't know anything much about him, or about other offspring, but this mare is just lovely.

http://www.deadlakeranch.com/sport-stallions.htm

What about going for an ISH. Jaunty Star is a very good record himself and is producing nice for eventing
    http://www.dkhirishdraughtsporthorses.ca/stallions/

Clover Cliste is a very nice Clover Hill IDSH (3/4 TB I believe) and his owner is on COTH Gortmore. I believe they also have a son of his http://www.idhs.ca/clover-cliste
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    What about going for an ISH. Jaunty Star is a very good record himself and is producing nice for eventing
    http://www.dkhirishdraughtsporthorses.ca/stallions/

Clover Cliste is a very nice Clover Hill IDSH (3/4 TB I believe) and his owner is on COTH Gortmore. I believe they also have a son of his http://www.idhs.ca/clover-cliste
    Thanks he is really cute!!!

I would prefer to stay in Ontario so that getting fresh semen will be possible. I don't want to deal with frozen...

Knee jerk was also Rather Well, very much like him.

Beaulieu's Quissini is a Canadian stallion Denny Emerson thinks the world of, might be worth checking him out as well.

What about Ilian de Taute (SF), son of Narcos II. Owned by Armstrong Farm in Orangeville Ontario.

He has evented through Prelim, and competed successfully in GP Jumpers with Robin Walker.

My horse Chief (Premier de Kegan) was by Ilian de Taute, out of a RID x TB mare. I sold him in December (I bought him as a asles project), but I had a blast eventing him until then.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thanks for the kind words about Rather Well - he has got a number of kids competing in eventing with several moving up the levels (I brag about his kids on his facebook page, so I won't bore you here with it.) He stands at Garry Roque's and I'm sure he'd be happy to show him to you if you want to drop by for a visit. Garry is pretty particular about the mares he breeds, so if he likes yours, she must be nice! I'll PM you his phone number.......

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    What about Ilian de Taute (SF), son of Narcos II. Owned by Armstrong Farm in Orangeville Ontario.

He has evented through Prelim, and competed successfully in GP Jumpers with Robin Walker.

My horse Chief (Premier de Kegan) was by Ilian de Taute, out of a RID x TB mare. I sold him in December (I bought him as a asles project), but I had a blast eventing him until then.
    We have a 7 yr old mare by Ilian that we are very excited about. Lots of pics on our gallery if you want to see her - Lilly - Dark bay - 17.3hh ridden by my younger son - her talent is amazing.

Another may be Pacific Star - Executive Decision - ridden by Jessica Phoenix is by him.

Thanks janette, I did email him but haven't heard back yet. I got your pm I am on rather well's Facebook page too so I've been checking out the pics etc

Thanks he is really cute!!!

I would prefer to stay in Ontario so that getting fresh semen will be possible. I don't want to deal with frozen...
    You can get fresh - they ship fresh all the time? Do you mean you want live cover, if so you might want to put that in your post because most non-TBs do not do live cover. I am getting fresh from a Canadian stallion this year.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I am pretty sure it woulod be impossible to get fresh semen shipped from the states... I tried looking into getting frozen semen from a GOV auction and it was crazy expensive. Although you could be right, depending on where in canada it may be possible to get fresh shipped.

I dont want to do live cover, Id prefer to avoid shipping my mare anywhere etc... Fresh is just way easier for everyone I think and I would have no problem picking it up myself if it was within reasonable distance.