The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default musical freestyle ?'s

I am thinking of doing a Second Level Freestyle this year, but have a few questions for everyone:

1) It says in the directives that I can use all second level movements and lower. Do folks do that? I would like to do leg yield and stretchy trot circle too. I watched a bunch on youtube and did not see people use lower level movements.

2) do you have to do all your trot work and canter work together (ie; it doesn't seem like folks mix it up too much...trot, walk, canter, trot, halt) Or can it broken up?

3) How do you get "rights" to the music you want?

Any helpful tips appreciated!

Thanks!
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

If you're reading the directives, you're off to a good start You can do lower level movements, but don't dumb it down too much or your degree of difficulty will reflect that. On the other hand, make sure you can execute what you set out to do...in other words, if you have mistakes with difficult choreography, the score will be lower than having a successful test with easier stuff in it. I start by making sure I'm doing the required movements & then fill in with what you like.

You can mix up the walk trot canter work, just be careful the end result isn't too choppy. Remember - this is your time to show off & have fun! Do what your horse is good at - if your horse gets cranked after canter work, save it for the end. If your horse (or you) needs a break in the work, then go ahead and do 2 walk sections.

Make sure to utilize the ring. You can be sneaky & hide things too. If your horse does a kick butt stretchy circle, then ride that right in the judge's face. If you have a wonky left shoulder in, the do that away from the judge.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know about the copyright information - I had help with my music. Hopefully someone here can chime in.

Good luck & enjoy!

1 members found this post helpful.

I just attended a freestyle clinic, so I am just passing on what I learned from it..

1) Its your freestyle, include what you want! But ken is right about making sure you have the required movements, and make them very clear! That is what you get points for. Extra movements add to the general impression, but aren't judged on an individual basis. The judges are looking for the required movements, so be cautious that extra items that you add are not confused with compulsory items. So if you add the leg yield make sure your leg yield is clearly that and distinct from your shoulder-in and travers/renvers, and that the latter are done well! One thing the clinician was very clear on, make it easy for the judge to recognize that you have done a movement, and completely.
    Also keep in mind that you only have 5 minutes, so make sure you have time for the stretchy circle on top of the required movements.
    2) I suspect people keep the work in gait together to minimize musical editing. Like Ken says, too much transition between music can sound choppy and is more work building the track.
    3) I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but my guess is that if you have purchased the music, the likelihood of anyone taking legal action is fairly minimal, much like a DJ probably isn't going to get sued for playing a CD at someone's wedding.

2 members found this post helpful.

Good luck on getting permission to use the music from the copyright folks. People have tried and gotten no response. They aren't interested in someone using one piece of music a few times. USEF has a blanket copyright agreement with the copyright organizations to play the music at shows, so you are basically covered.

And if you are looking for music, you can check out my free website www.equimusic.com It was created as a resource for the dressage community.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Thanks for the tips. Forgot to ask...any suggestions to easiest music editing software/ app? This is for a seriously electronic dummie!!! And I mean seriously challenged
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

I have done freestyles through GP and am a seriously challenged electronically and can use Audacity. It's a free download and you can search for help on anything you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Blume Farm View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Forgot to ask...any suggestions to easiest music editing software/ app? This is for a seriously electronic dummie!!! And I mean seriously challenged
    My "office suite" for MFS: BPM Analyzer, Audacity, Mixx, Psycle. All open source or shareware. Oh and Spotify if you're planning to use prerecorded music. Next one I do, I'm going to try composing my own music for, and that will also involve MuseScore and a bunch of MIDI VST's, but you probably don't need to go that far yet!

Mechanicals: my contention is that you do not not need to pay mechanicals b/c you are not re-recording, you are not "covering", you are not manufacturing, you are not distributing and you are not making any money. It could be argued that you are "streaming" every time you perform your MFS in public, in which case you would owe the poor composer the grandiose sum of $0.01 per song or fraction of song every time you used the MFS. Doubt if even the Harry Fox Agency could find a lawyer to prosecute THAT case! I'm kinda cautious about upping vids of MFS to YouTube though: that *does* constitute streaming, and if your vid got more than 10,000 hits it's a safe assumption ol' Harry Fox would find you sooner or later and you'd get a visit from his Very Special Friends. If you're going to upload a video of your MFS to any of those big public websites (including Facebook), either make it private or make it unsearchable (only those with the link can access).

Good luck & have fun!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

2 members found this post helpful.