The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equispirit Trailer Ramp - Chronic Rotting Issues? Design?

Have been doing some online research (note: internet is a dangerous place!) regarding Equispirit trailers.

Mostly in forums, I keep seeing issues (that were similar to Trailet ramp issue design flaws) about Equispirit ramps rotting inside.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?

Considering a used 2000 era trailer.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

This showed up in Hawk trailers, as well, and has been fixed by a redesign of the ramp. Mine (2002) was among the ones with the flaw, but my dealer advised me to caulk around the space between the frame and the skin at the bottom of the ramp (when closed). That prevented a problem for a number of years, but it did finally give up the ghost after a particularly wet winter. I had a friend help me replace the wood in the ramp and then I caulked the dickens out of it when we put it back together. Two years ago, so far, so good.

It was not that difficult to replace the plywood in the ramp. If the one you are looking at is similar in design, I'd say it's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but probably a good bargaining chip. Risa's shop said around $200 to do it professionally, so not hideously expensive. Risa could probably give you excellent advice on this--she's very knowlegable and also very honest (happytrailstrailers.com)
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I have a 2001 Equispirit. The wood in my ramp did rot after 6 years and needed to be replaced. My husband replaced it with marine grade plyboard. Since I still have the trailer and it has been another 6 years, I think I will go out and check the ramp boards now! :-)

YUP. Had a 2000. Ramp rotted after about 4 years. They were made by hawk then and a Hawk dealer replaced the wood inside with marine grade plywood, but said you need to put a barrier between the plywood and the aluminum skin. I don't remember the reason for that now. It was a known flaw.

Yes, the old ones still built by Hawk had plywood. The new ones, built by EquiSpirit via Double D, do not. From their website:

Ramp: 54” tall so your horse can’t get a leg over the top. Low angle (not steep) so horses can easily step into the trailer. Spring loaded, easy to lift, so it’s easy on your back. Durable, with no plywood to rot over the years.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Thanks guys!

So what year was the design flaw fixed in the Hawks? In the EQS? Crazy that they didn't fix the design from one company to the next. Seems a little ridiculous...
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

It was a year or two after I got mine. I'm sure Risa could tell you for sure.

They all fixed the design flaw as soon as it became apparent. If they took different approaches, so be it. It was a matter of sealing the skin to the frame so that moisture could not accumulate. You can be sure that Hawk took a practical approach, Equispirit took an expensive one.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

so would this have been resolved by 2005?
    If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

The older models were built with the ramp frame on the outside / very typical for many manufacturers. water would seep between the frame at the bottom and aluminum sheet when the ramp was closed. I can figure out the date if you like BUT if you can see the frame on the outside of the ramp VS smooth alumuminum sheet it is the old design - it is easy to change as monster wrote and I would caulk as monster said - CHOCO I sent you a message
    Risa
    www.happytrailstrailers.com

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Risa did our Trail=Et. Beautifully done and not expensive!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm