The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Foal Must Haves!?

Okay, I swear I place a Jeffers order every 2 days at this point, so before I press the GO button again, what other foal or new mommy essentials do I need? Not foaling... but once it's already here type of stuff:

• Soda bottle Nipples lol
    • Coli Endotox
    • Strongid
    • Grow with me halter
    • Colostrum Gel
    • Mini rasp?

???

DAY 327 AND COUNTING! Thank God for those Chemetrics tests... I gotta say, those other 2 brands (Predict a Foal and Mothers Nature's blah blah are complete CRAP!)

I know personally, I like to give a newborn Vita-Flex's Foal Response as a just-in-case precaution. Here's the link: http://www.jefferspet.com/foal-respo...V6-FR/cn/2373/

I would also recommend a lead rope just for the baby. Teaching them to lead at a young age is SO much easier. I like using the small diameter cotton ones. (no nylon to potentially give rope burns!) Good luck!
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

My foaling/ foal kit includes:

-slip halter and later foal halter
    -soft curry brush to get foal used to grooming
    -IgG test (most have their vet do this)
    -Equidone (domperidone) for mare if not producing milk (depends on your area). We have fescue here and even though I keep her off 3 months prior I always have this just in case
    -refractomer/ colostrometer to check milk
    -foal lac powder/ milk replacer
    -foal blanket
    -foal resuscitator
    -foal enema
    -chlorhex for umbilical stump
    -anti-diarrheal for foal
    -seramune Equine IgG

That's all I can think of off the top of my head without looking at my kit! Good luck!
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

2 members found this post helpful.

Digital thermometer....fast beeper

And bio- sponge

All of the above plus Udderly EZ.
    http://www.udderlyez.com/mare_milkers.php
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks so much for the ideas... that Udderly EZ thingy looks pretty nifty. Does it work like it claims??

Udderly EZ has been a life saver on more than one occasion for us. We also like to bank colostrum because we foal out alot of mares so we use it alot. We used to use a 60cc syringe but this is much faster and easier.
    Good Luck!
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Real Rush View Post
    I know personally, I like to give a newborn Vita-Flex's Foal Response as a just-in-case precaution. Here's the link: http://www.jefferspet.com/foal-respo...V6-FR/cn/2373/

I would also recommend a lead rope just for the baby. Teaching them to lead at a young age is SO much easier. I like using the small diameter cotton ones. (no nylon to potentially give rope burns!) Good luck!
    I don't understand why vet hospitals keep a bank of equine colostrum in the freezer and sell if for big bucks if you can get the same thing in a cheap tube. My guess is because the real stuff works and the stuff in the tube makes you feel better.

Not sure how I feel about your idea of leading a foal right away. Their necks are so fragile. I always use a butt rope instead.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply teaching to lead as a newborn. I wholly agree with the butt rope system. (again, I recommend cotton ropes) I usually start traditional leading training when they're around 3 months old.

As for the Foal Response, luckily (knock on wood), I've never had a problem with my mares' colostrum. I use this more as a supplement.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

BioSponge is a MUST! My filly came down with a horrible case of diarrhea about 16 hours after she was born and barely survived the first day. Fortunately my vet was able to come out right away (and it was a holiday) and start treating her. We had a hard time getting it under control and were giving her BioSponge every four hours for about a week or so. She had a rough start but now is a giant, beautiful loving 9 month old filly who is probably going to be over 17 hands! The BioSponge was literally a life saver.

where do folks get those nifty leather foal halters?

I got mine at Quillin's from Kentucky. They do most of the tb breeding farms. All of my custom halters are from there, too. Their quality is exceptional and prices are reasonable. They are wonderful to work with from a customer service point of view as well.

I second Quillin's; that's where I get all my halters too. I also keep a stock of soft, old beach towels on hand for drying. And a large plastic bag for picking up and weighing the placenta.

Patience

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Love View Post
    Okay, I swear I place a Jeffers order every 2 days at this point, so before I press the GO button again, what other foal or new mommy essentials do I need? Not foaling... but once it's already here type of stuff:

• Soda bottle Nipples lol
    • Coli Endotox
    • Strongid
    • Grow with me halter
    • Colostrum Gel
    • Mini rasp?

???

DAY 327 AND COUNTING! Thank God for those Chemetrics tests... I gotta say, those other 2 brands (Predict a Foal and Mothers Nature's blah blah are complete CRAP!)
    Aside from the foal halter, all I usually need for the first several months is the VSI Foaling Kit and my vets after-hours phone number.

VSI Foaling Kit

While I do have a most of the other items listed, I've never had to use any of them, and I end up throwing things like Colostrum Gel away b/c they've expired.

I found the easiest way (for both me and the foal) to teach leading is to attach a cross tie from the foals halter to the mothers halter on the right side and me lead on the left like normal. The first few days foal will always follow mom and start and stop with her. Do this every day and then after the first week do the same thing and half way through the leading lesson have a helper take mom, and disconnect the cross tie from mom, and lead with the x-tie. right next to the mom.

While I appreciate butt ropes, I rarely ever have to use one.