The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

We had a lovely mill pond nearby that was host to all sorts of interesting aquatic life, & was thus a magnet for all us kids armed with our buckets & nets. One day my dad was driving us around it & there was a huge Snapping turtle in the middle of the road. He didn't want us sprouts messing with Snappers, so to give us an example of just how powerful those jaws are, he took a pencil out of the glove box & dangled it in front of Mrs. Snapper, who took her cue & snapped it in half like a breadstick (or a finger!). Needless to say, we were more careful during our pond forays after that. (Oh, & dad did safely move Mrs. Snapper back into the pond.)

O.K. - for some of us who don't have these problems up here - just in case I'm ever inSnapperland - how DO you move a turtle, especially one with a long neck?

We have possums up here and when they play possum it is not a good idea to pick them up either - they can snap a finger in a second. We thought we had run one over once with the horse trailer, so that's how I know. No damage was done. It went to a rehab place and from there wandered on with its own life.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Dad always did it by the tail or the very rear edge of the shell, holding the turtle as far way from his body as possible.

Luckily, I've always been able to use a shovel (so far).

1 members found this post helpful.

I brake for turtles! And save them at every opportunity, though often I am too late btw the study with people hitting them on purpose is just sick, I can't believe people are really that messed up

When in a swampy area its not uncommon to get a snapper, and even the little 'uns aren't to be messed with!

Found one recently on a busy road, I ran out to get her with an 18 wheeler barreling down on me. Thought I'd dart out, pick it up and run off the road with it. Ran out only to discover it was a snapper! So I used the inside of my foot to scootch it across the road as quick as I could... cantankerous thing snapping at me the entire way. Got a little video when we were safe, just to show how surly even the tykes are.

Foxtrot, generally when I need to move a snapper I don't take any chances. I get a big stick, thick enough it won't bite through, taunt the turtle until it chomps the stick and then drag it away while it holds on. As long as you wiggle or pull on the stick, it'll keep its mouth clamped.

Usually if you grab it by the tail you're safe, but its easy to stop paying attention.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

I used to trap them in a Have a Heart trap that I set at water's edge and then relocate them to the big lake/pond behind Dulles Airport...about 5 miles from my farm.

It was chain linked with big signs that said "Do Not Tresspass..Federal Property". There was a small break at the bottom of the chain link and I'd let them go there -- on a highway.

I was so afraid of being arrested. I'm a wimp, but an animal lover...those these creatures were the nastiness I've met (and even more so when the release their stink in the back of your car...lol!!)

The biggest one, that I could not trap and killed several large ducks, we just had to shoot. When the deed was done, he weighed in at 40 lbs. I felt bad about doing that. But he was a raptor.

How to help a Snapping turtle across street... (not by tail...you can injure their spine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...d_B6iKPxU&NR=1

It's funny seeing how pissed off this turtle finally gets at the end, after being used as a demo, being dragged back and forth across the road several times!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    O.K. - for some of us who don't have these problems up here - just in case I'm ever inSnapperland - how DO you move a turtle, especially one with a long neck?
    My SO is a DVM with wildlife interests and told me to not get anywhere near it if I didn't have to. They are aggressive, have super long necks that can reach around and bite you, and can move relatively quickly if need be. His first suggestion was to trap it in a rubbermaid bin by flipping the bin over it and sliding the lid underneath it. The one I had on my property was too big to get the lid underneath it, so I just flipped the bin over it and drug it across the grass out of my fenced backyard.

The last time we stopped to help a turtle get across the road, my DH almost did get hit. It was like so close, like when your so scared that the adrenaline is making you shake uncontrolable. We had our hazzard flashers on and every thing. The stupid punk actually down shifted and sped up!!! All I can say is man that it was soooo close.
    Well a couple of days later I was gabbing with my cousin and, who pulls up right next to us? Yup the punk that almost hit my DH. Well in a total Hulk like moment I go up to him and peal him a new hide, like you wouldnt believe. (other people stop to help the turtles too. He could kill anyone with his actions) I felt really bad about the whole thing because I guess I was so bad that I scarred the tar out of my cousin as well.
    Long story short, it is a bit dangerous to help them, but we do anyways and assume the risks.

As for the people that hit them on purpose, well I have no time for them. Best not do it in front of me or they are gonna experience a hulk moment as well.

Re: that study of people intentionally hitting turtles was really depressing, I knew that people HAD to do it intentionally because it's just too easy to avoid them to account for the number of roadkilled turtles I see. I didn't know that the number of sicko whimps was so high. I do wish that the Clemson study reported if anyone stopped to help the turtles. The guy who did the funny (and also depressing) vid with the tarantulas and snakes at least did document people trying to help- and I was rolling to see the animal control guy who was so afraid to pick up a box turtle.

I am now more motivated to help the turtles I see cross the road- I would guess that I used to help about 50% of them and my deciding factor was "oh, it's almost across the road- it will make it." Now I think I'm going to assume the next car coming is going to try to kill it.